Hydrospa (legend 3 From Costco) 2 Major Leaks

Hello all. First post!!

I live in Canada and purchased Platinum Legend 3 (Hydrospa) from Costco in the early summer and have experienced 2 major leaks. The first leak was on a 3" line that connected to an elbow piece coming off one of the pumps in the corner of the unit. This leak occured during my second soaking in the tub! I called Platinum (hyrdospa) and informed them about the leak and they called up a local warranty/tech provider and he then arranged for a visit and repair.

The tech found the leak quite easily and t was accessible enough that the tech was able to re-glue to the tubing and re-insert it back into the elbow piece. I then let the tub stay dry for 24 hours before refilling. Everything was working great until a month later.

A month later and only a few more soakings and boom another LEAK! Similar to last leak a very large amount of water was lost very quickly and the tub shut down. So another call to Platinum (hydrospa) and another tech callout. The problem this time was not in the same spot as last time. In fact the tech and I could not locate the actual leak this time. I had a hose running into the tub and all we could see was water pooling underneath the very bottom of the tub inside the shell. So we deduced the leak must be on one of the fittings on the very bottom. The tech decided to get more help and would come back a week later with more people to verify if the leak was indeed on the bottom of the shell.

The guys came over and said that it appeared the leak was indeed on the bottom of the tub and the only way the leak could be scoped out and repaired would be to remove the tub from my backyard and take it back to the tech/repair shop to flip over the tub, remove the bottom try, and inspect all of the piping and look for loose connections.

My wife called up Platinum (hyrdospa) and was not very happy due to the unreliability and continued issues we have experienced with the tub. The tech support at Platinum insisted that the tub only had a kink in the lines and that a repair should be made and that they would not accept a return of the tub.

My wife then called Costco and told them the issues and said that we may just return the tub. Costco said no problme just make sure to have the receipt and all info that came with the tub and they would be happy to provide a refund.

Now here are the issues with us doing a return:

1) cost to remove and transport hottub back to Costco. Approx $300-$500

2) cost to remove parts of the deck and fencing to facilitate moving the tub out of it's place in our deck. $200-$300

3) If we remove and return the tub and order a new one from Costco (this time online and either Infinity or Pilates tubs) then we will have to wait anywhere from 4-10 weeks for the new tub which puts us into winter and snow on the ground!

4) If we do the return route we will also have to bear costs of transport and re-hook up of the new spa not to mention repair of the deck and fencing once everything is all in place.

This morning I called up Pilates and asked some questions about their manufacturing and delivery lead times. The tech at Pilates said that the most common issue they have seen with their tubs is leaks. This is from transport on carriers from Florida to the final destination. They said that they instruct people to remove all 4 panels once they receive the spa and check all piping they can access for any clamps or piping that may be loose.

Before I called up Pilates I was willing to go through the headache (and extra expense) of returning the Platinum back to Hydrospa and waiting for a new hottub from a different manufacturer. NOW, I am unsure that I want to go through all of that just to experience the same type of problem.

So I called up Platinum (hspa) and asked who would bear the costs if the tub was removed from my yard and taken to the repair facility and checked over and repaired and then returned to my yard. My thinking is that if Hydrospa would bear those costs and everything gets checked over I should (hopefully!) be able to have our hottub up and running alot quicker and cheaper than a return and re-purchase.

Any of you have thoughts on this? How about on the 2 tubs from Costco I have narrowed down my replacement to:

Infinity Vista TV Spa $8699.99 (cdn) item# 120106

Pilates XP1 H20 $7999.99 (cdn) item# 127068

Keep in mind that the Legend 3 cost my $5999.99. I also paid $1000 for the electrician and electrical components. Plus anotehr $300 for transport and delivery from Costco to my house. Basically $7658.94 for everything after tax.

So....should I try to get my Legend 3 repaired (if Hydro picks up the tab for everything) or should I scrap that tub and get the Inifinity or Pilates? My big conern is spending more money, getting the same issue again and doing all the transport and set-up install etc in the middle of snow storm!

What are your thoughts??

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You think you're getting a better deal than from a dealer, yet here are the risks and responsibilities YOU bear if you purchase a spa from a "big box store". While this type of thing may be rare, it does happen.

What about this...... But a spa from an actual spa dealer. Any problems like this THEY would take care of with no cost to you. Get them to remove and return your current spa to costco when they deliver the new dpa to you. Since they would take care of the delivery of a new spa, it shouldn't be a big deal for them to remove the other spa, and then it's only a short trip to costco.

What about this...... But a spa from an actual spa dealer. Any problems like this THEY would take care of with no cost to you. Get them to remove and return your current spa to costco when they deliver the new dpa to you. Since they would take care of the delivery of a new spa, it shouldn't be a big deal for them to remove the other spa, and then it's only a short trip to costco.

That's a good idea on the replacement and delivery return goin with a local dealer. I hadn't thought of that but I was thinking of getting a tub through a dealer this time. Thanks for your feedback.

Anyone else??

...So I called up Platinum (hspa) and asked who would bear the costs if the tub was removed from my yard and taken to the repair facility and checked over and repaired and then returned to my yard. My thinking is that if Hydrospa would bear those costs and everything gets checked over I should (hopefully!) be able to have our hottub up and running alot quicker and cheaper than a return and re-purchase.

Any of you have thoughts on this?

So....should I try to get my Legend 3 repaired (if Hydro picks up the tab for everything) or should I scrap that tub and get the Inifinity or Pilates? My big conern is spending more money, getting the same issue again and doing all the transport and set-up install etc in the middle of snow storm!

What are your thoughts??

Well, if you REALLY did buy a Costco hydrospa legend tub and it REALLY is leaking and you REALLY do want a hot tub, then it's a no-brainer to fix the leak in the tub you have. (Sorry to be skeptical but most of the posts here like yours are phony posts made by hot tub sales people and/or hot tub mfrs who are dissing Costco tubs.) I own a Platinum Elite 2 tub that I bought from Costco a little more than a year that is similar to the Legend Elite model that's being sold this year. There is nothing that complicated in the tubs that anyone shouldn't be able to repair in your yard. If you have a leak right on the very, very bottom of the tub, the tub should be emptied, overturned, and the leak repaired either through the access hole in the bottom or by just removing the side panels and the bottom. Either way, I don't see why the tub needs to leave your yard to be repaired unless it's going back to the factory in which case I would insist on another being sent in its place. The tub has a full warranty from Hydrospa so they will pay to fix the leaks. The only thing I would really be interested in was WHY the tub was leaking. The piping is just a bunch of pvc and tubing so I would be looking to see if the leak was due to damage to the piping, improper original assembly, defective parts , or what. The cause of the leak would be the most important thing to me because that would determine whether other leaks were likely to occur. Generally, pvc piping and tubing such as that used in the hydrospa tubs should last for many years of leak-free service. If the tub appears to have widespread damage from something like maybe it was allowed to freeze during transit or something, then I would insist on either a free replacement or a complete rebuild.

...So I called up Platinum (hspa) and asked who would bear the costs if the tub was removed from my yard and taken to the repair facility and checked over and repaired and then returned to my yard. My thinking is that if Hydrospa would bear those costs and everything gets checked over I should (hopefully!) be able to have our hottub up and running alot quicker and cheaper than a return and re-purchase.

Any of you have thoughts on this?

What are your thoughts??

Well, if you REALLY did buy a Costco hydrospa legend tub and it REALLY is leaking and you REALLY do want a hot tub, then it's a no-brainer to fix the leak in the tub you have. (Sorry to be skeptical but most of the posts here like yours are phony posts made by hot tub sales people and/or hot tub mfrs who are dissing Costco tubs.) I own a Platinum Elite 2 tub that I bought from Costco a little more than a year that is similar to the Legend Elite model that's being sold this year. There is nothing that complicated in the tubs that anyone shouldn't be able to repair in your yard. If you have a leak right on the very, very bottom of the tub, the tub should be emptied, overturned, and the leak repaired either through the access hole in the bottom or by just removing the side panels and the bottom. Either way, I don't see why the tub needs to leave your yard to be repaired unless it's going back to the factory in which case I would insist on another being sent in its place. The tub has a full warranty from Hydrospa so they will pay to fix the leaks. The only thing I would really be interested in was WHY the tub was leaking. The piping is just a bunch of pvc and tubing so I would be looking to see if the leak was due to damage to the piping, improper original assembly, defective parts , or what. The cause of the leak would be the most important thing to me because that would determine whether other leaks were likely to occur. Generally, pvc piping and tubing such as that used in the hydrospa tubs should last for many years of leak-free service. If the tub appears to have widespread damage from something like maybe it was allowed to freeze during transit or something, then I would insist on either a free replacement or a complete rebuild.

IP logging is your friend!

Just so happened to buy a hydrospa and then stubble in here to complain....sounds bogus to me. Its the cynical side of me...sorry.

How do you know the leaks are major? Have you even called Hydrospa? How would this be any different if you purchased the tub through a dealer? Go the same route...call hydrospa and see what you need to do to correct the issue.

If you have a leak right on the very, very bottom of the tub, the tub should be emptied, overturned, and the leak repaired either through the access hole in the bottom or by just removing the side panels and the bottom. Either way, I don't see why the tub needs to leave your yard to be repaired unless it's going back to the factory in which case I would insist on another being sent in its place. The tub has a full warranty from Hydrospa so they will pay to fix the leaks.

If the leak is down in the footwell then you really need to turn the sp on its side. It could certainly be done in the yard but the tech wants it taken to his shop because its easier to fix there and since he's an independent tech he calls the shots because he can simply walk. Hydro does not have the ability to dictate to him that they want it fixed in the yard. This is where the lack of dealer/manufacturer support comes in. We'll se if Hydro backs it well. At least the owner can return it to Costco as it appears to be the best option since it's leaked twice already.

The only thing I would really be interested in was WHY the tub was leaking. The piping is just a bunch of pvc and tubing so I would be looking to see if the leak was due to damage to the piping, improper original assembly, defective parts , or what.

Easy one, poor workmanship and/or week/cheap jet bodies.

The cause of the leak would be the most important thing to me because that would determine whether other leaks were likely to occur. Generally, pvc piping and tubing such as that used in the hydrospa tubs should last for many years of leak-free service.

Twoleaks months apart tell me this spa may be trouble waiting to reoccur.

If the tub appears to have widespread damage from something like maybe it was allowed to freeze during transit or something, then I would insist on either a free replacement or a complete rebuild.

1) I have serious doubts as to whether the spa ever saw water before getting to the customer based on past posts (they might test every 10th one or so like someone else noted).

2) Freeze damage would have been readily seen rather than taking it's time to show up.

3) They said they got it early summer. If that was May/June delivery (assuming we all define “early summer” similarly) and it shipped from the Florida directly to the customer I'm doubting there was much of a chance that it froze LOL.

Just so happened to buy a hydrospa and then stubble in here to complain....sounds bogus to me. Its the cynical side of me...sorry.

Who knows really!! Frankly, many have questioned whether NW is bogus (some accuse him of working for Costco others say Hydro). I choose to assume both are real since I have no reason to think otherwise.

Besides, it's not a surprise to me that few people that have lately posted about having problems with the Hydro/Costco spa but I believe NW when he says his has worked fine because they're individual points in the scatter graph.

You think you're getting a better deal than from a dealer, yet here are the risks and responsibilities YOU bear if you purchase a spa from a "big box store".

No offense, but i still do believe I am getting a better deal from Costco versus a dealer. In fact, I walked into a spa house right next door to the repair guys for Hydrospa (my broken down tub). Anyways, this dealer carries Dynasty tubs and the salesman said right off the cuff that a similar spa to the one I have that is broken down (the Platinum Legend 3) in his (Dynasty) would be anywhere from $15-$25K depending on size and options. He said he just sold a 92" x92" spa with a TV for $25k. I can go buy an Infinity Savannah TV spa from Costco for $6400 or the Infinity Vista TV spa for $8699.

Your telling me that 4 times the money equals a better deal? A dealer tub may be a better tub but not 4 times as good!!

Personally I would rather the headaches I'm having and still have some cash in the pocket and Costco ready to refund me at any time.

If you have a leak right on the very, very bottom of the tub, the tub should be emptied, overturned, and the leak repaired either through the access hole in the bottom or by just removing the side panels and the bottom. Either way, I don't see why the tub needs to leave your yard to be repaired unless it's going back to the factory in which case I would insist on another being sent in its place. The tub has a full warranty from Hydrospa so they will pay to fix the leaks.

If the leak is down in the footwell then you really need to turn the sp on its side. It could certainly be done in the yard but the tech wants it taken to his shop because its easier to fix there and since he's an independent tech he calls the shots because he can simply walk. Hydro does not have the ability to dictate to him that they want it fixed in the yard. This is where the lack of dealer/manufacturer support comes in. We'll se if Hydro backs it well. At least the owner can return it to Costco as it appears to be the best option since it's leaked twice already.

The only thing I would really be interested in was WHY the tub was leaking. The piping is just a bunch of pvc and tubing so I would be looking to see if the leak was due to damage to the piping, improper original assembly, defective parts , or what.

Easy one, poor workmanship and/or week/cheap jet bodies.

The cause of the leak would be the most important thing to me because that would determine whether other leaks were likely to occur. Generally, pvc piping and tubing such as that used in the hydrospa tubs should last for many years of leak-free service.

Twoleaks months apart tell me this spa may be trouble waiting to reoccur.

If the tub appears to have widespread damage from something like maybe it was allowed to freeze during transit or something, then I would insist on either a free replacement or a complete rebuild.

1) I have serious doubts as to whether the spa ever saw water before getting to the customer based on past posts (they might test every 10th one or so like someone else noted).

2) Freeze damage would have been readily seen rather than taking it's time to show up.

3) They said they got it early summer. If that was May/June delivery (assuming we all define “early summer” similarly) and it shipped from the Florida directly to the customer I'm doubting there was much of a chance that it froze LOL.

-- I'm leaning towards getting the tub repaired in the yard. It is the warranty guys that want to take it to thier shop. Hydrospa wants it done in the yard.

-- Two leak's so early, has got me concerned for future malfunctions.

-- The tub was water tested as far as I could tell. The lines had water in them and there was a bit of water in the tub. Also, my manual was soaked.

-- I got the tub in June and it was sitting inside Costco. No chance of it being frozen. (i am worried about the time of the year right now and waiting 6-10 weeks for a replacement tub as there will be snow on the ground by Halloween!)

No chance of it being frozen. (i am worried about the time of the year right now and waiting 6-10 weeks for a replacement tub as there will be snow on the ground by Halloween!)

Is your hydro spa insulated enough for a canadian winter???? can you post a pic of the controler compartment?

John 104 degrees

-- I'm leaning towards getting the tub repaired in the yard. It is the warranty guys that want to take it to thier shop. Hydrospa wants it done in the yard.

No doubt but they are not Hydro's repair people so they are not obligated to do what Hydro wants and Hydro won't pay to move it to be fixed so I'm wondering if you'll get caught in between on this one. Push Hydro to get you a tech willing to do it in your yard and see what happens.

No doubt but they are not Hydro's repair people so they are not obligated to do what Hydro wants and Hydro won't pay to move it to be fixed so I'm wondering if you'll get caught in between on this one. Push Hydro to get you a tech willing to do it in your yard and see what happens.

I'm totally in the middle right now. I'm chatting with both to make something happen.

P.S - I'll take some pics tomorrow for the board to see. IMO the insulation is kinda sketchy and it is a concern that is creeping up on me.

IMO the insulation is kinda sketchy and it is a concern that is creeping up on me.

Absolutely. I always recommend people who buy these spas to add insulation themselves because this is an area where the manufacturer saves money. It's very expensive to fully foam spas which is why all bargain priced brands are thermopane. You can create a well insulated thermopane but that is costly as well but about all these do is add some foil wrap on the spa, give it some marketing name and tell people it works like a thermos or windowpane. You definteily want to take care of this before winter sets in.

Absolutely. I always recommend people who buy these spas to add insulation themselves because this is an area where the manufacturer saves money. It's very expensive to fully foam spas which is why all bargain priced brands are thermopane. You can create a well insulated thermopane but that is costly as well but about all these do is add some foil wrap on the spa, give it some marketing name and tell people it works like a thermos or windowpane. You definteily want to take care of this before winter sets in.

You should see how Arctic does there thermal pane.its how thermal pane should be done.

john

A quick update. Hydrospa is getting a different warranty tech company to come by my house to have a look and hopefully they will be able to repair the leak in my yard. I will update you after this company comes by in the next day or two.

P.S - i will be taking some pics this afternoon/evening of my tub in my deck and some with the panels off.

A quick update. Hydrospa is getting a different warranty tech company to come by my house to have a look and hopefully they will be able to repair the leak in my yard. I will update you after this company comes by in the next day or two.

P.S - i will be taking some pics this afternoon/evening of my tub in my deck and some with the panels off.

Cool.

John 104 degrees

Good luck!! Hell if they dont do you right take it back and just buy another. Did you pay for someone to deliver? Either way let us know how it turns out. Pics would be nice...

The process of posting pics-

1-go to www.photobucket.com and open a free account

2-upload the pictures you want to post

3-once your pics are uploaded there are codes underneath click on the IMG code

4-click copy of the code

5-click on reply to the topic your in on the forum and right click paste in the response.

6-click add reply and your done.

I think it looks nice. i hope that bubble insulation is going to work in your climate. I can see why its hard to work on being in the deck the way it is.

Good luck.

john 104 degrees