How Stupid Was I To Think The Cal Spa Warranty Was Solid?

I have had my Cal Spa for 18 months. I'm sure I'm not the first to post about a problem. Motor sounds funny so I call for the warranty repair. Surprise #1, I have to pay for someone to come out on a warranty call. Guy comes out. Surprise #2, the problem is because my pump seals are leaking and that isn't covered under the warranty. Surprise #3, it's going to cost me $600 for a new pump and motor.

Are you kidding me? The guy shows me in my manual all of the things that are NOT COVERED by the warranty. Basically, anything that goes wrong w/ this piece of junk could be attributed to any number of things on this list. Therefore, the warranty is useless. And to think this thing broke after just 18 months. So do I assume this will happen every 18 months?

Of course my filter was clean and my chemicals were correct, but they still like to blame the faulty seal on the customer because they think most customers don't take care of their water and the bad water makes the seal go bad. HERE'S AN IDEA: WHY NOT DESIGN A SEAL THAT CAN WITHSTAND BAD WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough ranting, has anyone had any success fighting Cal Spa on their warranty?

Most warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Sorry to hear about your luck!!!

There are a lot of people on the forum who hold the warranty side by side with other tubs in determining the value. If you dig down and read most product warranties there are always loop holes for the manufacturer.

I have had my Cal Spa for 18 months. I'm sure I'm not the first to post about a problem. Motor sounds funny so I call for the warranty repair. Surprise #1, I have to pay for someone to come out on a warranty call. Guy comes out. Surprise #2, the problem is because my pump seals are leaking and that isn't covered under the warranty. Surprise #3, it's going to cost me $600 for a new pump and motor.

Are you kidding me? The guy shows me in my manual all of the things that are NOT COVERED by the warranty. Basically, anything that goes wrong w/ this piece of junk could be attributed to any number of things on this list. Therefore, the warranty is useless. And to think this thing broke after just 18 months. So do I assume this will happen every 18 months?

Of course my filter was clean and my chemicals were correct, but they still like to blame the faulty seal on the customer because they think most customers don't take care of their water and the bad water makes the seal go bad. HERE'S AN IDEA: WHY NOT DESIGN A SEAL THAT CAN WITHSTAND BAD WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough ranting, has anyone had any success fighting Cal Spa on their warranty?

Try and find out what brand of pump and motor you have and look into getting a seal yourself. There's no reason why you should need a new motor and pump just because the seals are bad. A new seal should be a $50 or less part I would think. I'd get a second opinion or just do it yourself. If you do need a new pump and motor, though, you should be able to find a good one for no more than $300. Just look at the impeller diameter, rotational speed, horsepower, and voltage and then find something similar from a spa supply house.

As far as the warranty stuff, it seems like a failed seal should be covered after only 18 months. unless you didn't change your filters and had a lot of sand in the tub or something. Good luck.

The wet end of the pump should be fine before you have the motor changed take it to a motor repair shop and get a quote for the bearings to be changed. The spa water probably affected the bearings if its a squeaking noise when you turn the shaft. The motor is a GE or search for Vico if you are looking online they are Cal after market. The crummy thing about this is all 07 Calspa tubs have a 5 year no fault warranty on the seals now.

The wet end of the pump should be fine before you have the motor changed take it to a motor repair shop and get a quote for the bearings to be changed. The spa water probably affected the bearings if its a squeaking noise when you turn the shaft. The motor is a GE or search for Vico if you are looking online they are Cal after market. The crummy thing about this is all 07 Calspa tubs have a 5 year no fault warranty on the seals now.

The repair guy says that water leaked into the motor and the bearings are rusted. His diagnosis was from visually seeing calcium deposits at the joint between the pump and motor confirming a leak and listening to the whining noise the motor is now making.

The circulation pump on my 14 month Sundance spa was making a funny noise so I called their service center and they told me that all the pumps were covered for five years, parts and labor. They came out the next day when I was at work and fixed it. I never got a bill or note telling me what was wrong, just the spa running when I got home and whisper quite. I hope they make it right for you.

If anyone has read any of my posts lately, you'll know that my new favorite stat is a company's BBB report. The report for Cal Spas lists 84 complaints in the last 3 years, which is a lot more than almost every other manufacturer out there (except maybe Thermospas). They have a "satisfactory" record, but I saw there were 8 cases where Cal Spas refused to do anything for the customer, stating they were sticking with the terms of the "agreement" (which may mean the warranty). It sounds like a lot of their customers are in the same boat you are. Stick with it, and good luck.