Spa Delivery Next Week

dave nh

Greetings All,

Thought I would share my experiences good or bad for the benefit of the forum. I have often read the posts (lurked) over the past year.

Have been planning for a while on getting a tub for the back yard and finally took the plunge. Actually wound up putting a 3 season room off the back of my house where the deck was and then put a smaller deck on the side with a semi-cirlce cut out for the tub. The tub will acutally sit on a round concrete pad that i just finished pouring a week ago, i put in electrical counduit under it which sweeps up into the pad and stubbed it just outside of the pad, it has a skim of concrete over it right now being held up with duct tap. The top of the tub will be about 12" above the deck.

Went to a number of shows and such over the past year, settled on the nordic because of the depth, simple seating, cost, and availability from a dealer in my town. I am 6'7 and the fancy seating tubs, although nice, were somewhat uncomfortable, shoulder restrictions, etc.

Also, I wound up springing for the ozonator and circ. pump, can anyone comment on these options?

I ordered a GFCI disconect with an alarm and it should be here by ups the same day as the tub, hopefully i will be able to soak in it the same week it is delivered.

My dealer has told me to bring a water sample down a few days a head of time from the water source i will be filling the tub with. They are going to be providing the startup chemicals and an orientation after it is up and running.

Any comments, tips, advice etc. from any one on what to look for when the tub is delivered, startup advice, etc. would be appreciated.

Here is a pic below of the pre-delivery area:

P1010003.jpg

Here is a pic below of the pre-delivery area:

P1010003.jpg

Nice setup! You should get a metal remover, chlorine shock with a Natures 2 or frog system or bromine, a non-chlorine shock, and test strips with a start up chemical kit. When you fill up the spa do it through the filter cartridge (fill the lines first) so the pump can catch a prime and you don't get air lock. Congrats on your new tub and many years of happiness with it. Best Regards, Brul

U get what u pay for!

Joker,

You may not be a fan of Nordic but why try to make him feel like his choice was poor. Nordic seems to have a decent reputation for their role in the industry IMO (not everyone tries to be a premium spa maker) but that's not the point. Besides you sell Master which hardly gets rave reviews on spa forums in general so that "you get what you pay for" seems ironic IMO. Should he have waited for the traveling spa circus to come to town with one of their "multiple spa manufacturer" shows?

I've had several e-mail correspondences with an engineer from Nordic. They put a lot of thought into their designs. I think you're better off with the ozone and circ pump, you should have less chemical usage that way. Great looking setup, and I think you'll be really happy with your Nordic. Be sure to post pictures once your tub arrives!

I've had several e-mail correspondences with an engineer from Nordic. They put a lot of thought into their designs.

Yes they really do, they have found what is "their" niche and stick with it, they are not trying to be a super high end but instead build a spa at a fair price that is a quality product that works well for people. What impresses me about them is their bottom which is very good, the fact that they use all pressure treated wood in the frames, the components they use are from the best makers in the industry, The shell while not as pretty as a acrylic is very durable. For me they are just a nice tub for the dollar.

Hey Dave NH, very nice setup there. I'm Dave in CT and I bought a Nordic Crown XL last December. It's a great tub and I've had no problems with it. It works great and has a lot of power for having just one pump. It holds water temp perfectly and water chemistry has been simple to maintain.

The only downside is that it's not insulated very well and my electric bill in the winter is high. I'm thinking about adding insulation to the cabinet or having an insulated wrap made that I can put around the tub just in the winter months.

Thanks All for the postitive feedback, i will keep you posted. Delivery tommorrow.

DAVE CT:

Glad to hear you have had good luck with it, i do expect my electric bill to be expensive, but hopefully it is worth it. What year hot tub was yours an 06 or an 07? I looked under a couple 07's before i ordered and the underbelly seemed to be covered pretty good with closed foam cell, which actually has a pretty good r-value. I have not owned a tub before but i would have to imagine the most important item for keeping the electric bill down is the cover. Hopefully, the one i get from the dealer will be a good one. Also, i was looking at those thermo blankets you can put on in the winter on top of the water, kind of like a solar cover. Anyone know if these things do any good? They do not seem to expenseve, lesss than $50.

I have an 06 model. They may have improved on the insulation for 07 but I also have the closed cell foam sprayed all over the bottom of the shell. If it's not FULL foam or if there's no additional cabinet insulation, then it's probably the same.

The cover probably is the most important aspect of insulation. I know mine works well because snow doesn't melt off it so it must be doing a good job of insulating. I heard that the bubble type thermo blankets don't do much but the foam ones do.

Keep us updated on your new tub and try to track the electricity usage by kWh per month - before and after.

Nice set-up well thought out, don't apologize for picking a simpler tub, you know those that have less stuff have less to go wrong. If you electric bill goes up so what, its money well spent, people blow money on alot more frivilous stuff.you could look at it as a quality of life issue...

I know that from speaking to Nordic they are very close to being fully certified as CEC compliant. If so they must be well insulated.

They MAY be doing something different for insulation but I'm certain that my 06 Crown XL is not "well insulated". It's alright but definitely could be better.