If You Cannot Beat Them

104 Degrees

Wow thats funny! I was at Costco and saw the Sundance spas they are selling and they looked very overpriced compared to the Legend spa that was nearby :lol:

If you put the legend next to the sundance,people would use it for a trash can.

Wow thats funny! I was at Costco and saw the Sundance spas they are selling and they looked very overpriced compared to the Legend spa that was nearby :lol:

If you put both tubs together I would try both and probably enjoy both. All tubs for that matter.

If you put both tubs together I would try both and probably enjoy both. All tubs for that matter.

The legend thay had there was nice looking. the only thing i did notice is the floor is only about 6" deep. it looks like your knees would be up to your face when sitting in it.its hard to tell when its straped to the wall on its side.

Sundance worked out a deal with Costco same way Bullfrog worked out a deal with Costco, they bring in a salesperson like myself to work for a week with a small tub display. Pricing is very similar to normal pricing

I guess similar in yourt book is within three thousand dollars? The optima was three grand less then at any local dealer. I guess to you three grand isn't enough to sway your purchase of the same product but most people wouldn't agree with you.

with a small tub display. Pricing is very similar to normal pricing

10 to 12 tubs from the top to the bottom is not a small display.at least you could dry test till you wet test.

That was the one thing i didnt like about the elite spa. it was on its side so you could not sit in it. I wanted to see how high my knees where in one of the seats. we went to costco's to see the Elite.

with a small tub display. Pricing is very similar to normal pricing

10 to 12 tubs from the top to the bottom is not a small display.at least you could dry test till you wet test.

That was the one thing i didnt like about the elite spa. it was on its side so you could not sit in it. I wanted to see how high my knees where in one of the seats. we went to costco's to see the Elite.

There seems to be some confusion over what Sundance is doing at Costco.

On one hand, some seem to be taking it as a sign that Sundance/Jacuzzi's parent company is doing poorly, and is undercutting its own dealers to make a quick buck.

In threads like this one, it sounds like the dealers themselves are involved in a temporary, "tent sale" or home show type event, as many dealers have done over the years.

I have no idea which one is the truth. If the first one is true, then the industry and one of its biggest companies are in trouble. If the second one is true, everyone's making a big deal over nothing.

There seems to be some confusion over what Sundance is doing at Costco.

In threads like this one, it sounds like the dealers themselves are involved in a temporary, "tent sale" or home show type event, as many dealers have done over the years.

BINGO.they had there spas in the middle of the store. the only "other spa" that was there was a Elite on its side in the bakery setion against a wall.

Nothing like being noticed :lol:

BINGO.they had there spas in the middle of the store. the only "other spa" that was there was a Elite on its side in the bakery setion against a wall.

Nothing like being noticed :lol:

I figured it had to be something like that. I'm sure the manufacturer / dealer relationships are not always rosy, but it just doesn't make sense for a manufacturer to antagonize a dealer by selling the same spa at a local Costco for thousands less.

How do those dealer relationships work, anyway? I'm sure it varies depending on the manufacturer, but I would assume that the manufacturer would give the dealer exclusive sales rights in a certain territory - is that basically it?

I just talked to a dealer about what is going. Sundance has worked out a deal where a dealer can "rent space" at the local Costco to sell spas. The price discount for this is not all that big and the dealer is limited in what models, accessories, and colors they can offer. The dealer ends up making a bit less money because Costco takes it cut off the top. So if you see a Sundance at the local Costco it is your local dealer. Go to your local dealer and ask for the Spa at the price you see it at Costco for.

I just talked to a dealer about what is going. Sundance has worked out a deal where a dealer can "rent space" at the local Costco to sell spas. The price discount for this is not all that big and the dealer is limited in what models, accessories, and colors they can offer. The dealer ends up making a bit less money because Costco takes it cut off the top. So if you see a Sundance at the local Costco it is your local dealer. Go to your local dealer and ask for the Spa at the price you see it at Costco for.

So your telling us to go to our local Sundance dealer and ask for a three thousand dolar discount on the Optima spa and they will do it? I pitty the fellow that didn't know about the " Costco" price and paid the full price.

So your telling us to go to our local Sundance dealer and ask for a three thousand dolar discount on the Optima spa and they will do it? I pitty the fellow that didn't know about the " Costco" price and paid the full price.

Where is this 3,000 discount? the optima was at a price it was always at.

Other than exposure, what is the benefit? The dealer pays more for the space at Costco, sells the spa for less money (though this is unclear if it's thousands less or the same price :wacko: ) and this is considered to be good business sense? I think someone has poor information here as there isn't THOUSANDS to play with in a spa sale.

Rent a space in a busy parking lot somewhere and get the same benefit (without the added costs) in an off-site sale!

Steve

What we did as an enterprising and progressively thinking company is this:

1. Sold a HotSpring Spa to the manager of the local Wal-Mart

2. Provided him with excellent product and service over the years

3. Discussed with him the possibility of placing a HotSpring Spa in his store with brochures and directions to our store with no cost to him or us

4. Accepted his offer of placing a large screen TV with our corporate DVD playing beside the spa as well as his offer of having the spa decorated by a professional merchandiser

5. Accepted his offer of having one of our sales womenz work at our display

6. Directed Wal-Mart traffic to our store down the road so that customers could see all of our quality spas

7. Sell spas at full price to happy customers

8. Sell spa to manager of other Wal-Mart as well as manager of Sam's Club

9. Repeat process at next location

:)

Terminator

Other than exposure, what is the benefit? The dealer pays more for the space at Costco, sells the spa for less money (though this is unclear if it's thousands less or the same price :wacko: ) and this is considered to be good business sense? I think someone has poor information here as there isn't THOUSANDS to play with in a spa sale.

Rent a space in a busy parking lot somewhere and get the same benefit (without the added costs) in an off-site sale!

Steve

When I see someone talk about a $3000 discount I automatically assume it's a discount off of the imaginary MSRP. Real discounts are versus what the average sales price is for people who have bought at that store and we know that you can't get $3k off. If someone is talking about $3k off an Optima they're probably talking about versus some laughable MSRP of $12k.

The idea of setting up in Costco is obvious. A spa dealer can measure traffic through their store on one or two hands for a given day. I'm sure they give a good deal and Costco has built in traffic so you don't have to have a high % interested to make it work and I doubt they lower their prices much beyond what they typically sell at. If you can get yourself situated nearby the person giving out free chicken wing samples you'll really get some lookers.

When I see someone talk about a $3000 discount I automatically assume it's a discount off of the imaginary MSRP. Real discounts are versus what the average sales price is for people who have bought at that store and we know that you can't get $3k off. If someone is talking about $3k off an Optima they're probably talking about versus some laughable MSRP of $12k.

The idea of setting up in Costco is obvious. A spa dealer can measure traffic through their store on one or two hands for a given day. I'm sure they give a good deal and Costco has built in traffic so you don't have to have a high % interested to make it work and I doubt they lower their prices much beyond what they typically sell at. If you can get yourself situated nearby the person giving out free chicken wing samples you'll really get some lookers.

Bingo again. I will go back to costco tonight and see whats up. i like the sales lady anyways.

John