Dealer Fires Manufacturer

Well All - Here is the latest chapter with Arctic Service Issues

****My dealer has fired Arctic - They will no longer sell Arctic spas and will discontinue providing service for them.

So, where does this leave me? Going to the next closest dealer for warranty service? Where is that you ask? 100 miles and 2 hours away...and since Arctic doesn't support service, and they say work through you're dealer, which no longer exists, why would a new dealer for them want to pay for service from this distance when they didn't make $ off the sale, and Arctic doesn't reimburse them for service (old dealer told me this).....

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even though your dealer no longer carries them they have a responsibilty to service your tub. If Arctic dropped them then it would be their responsibility to cover your service.

Worst case scenerio put your tub on the market try and get as much for it as you can and buy another tub.

What is still outstanding of the issues (I've had several posts) is fixing a light that was not fixed correctly the first time, and causing a leak, as well as some other leak area from what I can tell, oddly can't trace it....must happen during filter cyles or something...or maybe using the blower causing pressure issue somehwhere.....

The other is a lifter issue....

Other than these, I like my tub and don't intend on selling. My dealer says they made a 6 month commitment to Arctic to continue service, but that has exausted and my issues are under contract with Arctic, not the dealer.....

TOM - Would you like to clear this up? I know my case has been assigned to the Service Warranty Manager, but he said go through dealer, so I've been passed around without any resolve.......In my mind, and I'm sure readers, Arctic is not adequately staffed and/or supporting service needs after the sale at a very high level.

It sounds more like the dealer fired YOU, and all their other past customers. Hence the reason that not only the length of time a dealers been in business, but also the length of time the dealer's carried a particular brand of spa, is important.

It sounds more like the dealer fired YOU, and all their other past customers. Hence the reason that not only the length of time a dealers been in business, but also the length of time the dealer's carried a particular brand of spa, is important.

Valid point. I'm not exactly sure, but I think the dealer had Arctic for 4 or so years and the reason they dropped Arctic is because and this is a quote from the dealer: We have spent $200k over the past 2 years in service related costs that has not been supported/reimbursed by Arctic and we are not going to accept it any longer.

The dealer said that if the service guy comes out to fix my light, of which he already has the part, that will be the last bill they pay related to Arctic; the warranty is between Arctic and I, not them.

Tom - If this is not right - please help.

****My dealer has fired Arctic - They will no longer sell Arctic spas and will discontinue providing service for them. ....Arctic doesn't reimburse them for service (old dealer told me this).....

According to our Warranty Manager, who is standing by my desk,

1. The dealer in question is going out of business

2. If he wants to claim that he fired us first, that's up to him.

3. We do reimburse our dealers for their work when they submit their claims on time and in good order.

4. We are concerned about the situation, and we are taking steps to ensure that our customers are looked after by another dealer in the area.

****My dealer has fired Arctic - They will no longer sell Arctic spas and will discontinue providing service for them. ....Arctic doesn't reimburse them for service (old dealer told me this).....

3. We do reimburse our dealers for their work when they submit their claims on time and in good order.

4. We are concerned about the situation, and we are taking steps to ensure that our customers are looked after by another dealer in the area.

Thanks Tom. Just sharing information. Since I am a customer, and I still have issues not resolved, I assume the dealer is at the new location, another 50 miles away from me, and he should now cover this. I have his number, supplied by Artic reps. such as yourself. I will call that new owner (he was my original sales guy and the manager at that time of my purchase btw!!) and I will see what he will do and update the masses here to let them know the outcome.

Thanks Tom. Just sharing information. Since I am a customer, and I still have issues not resolved, I assume the dealer is at the new location, another 50 miles away from me, and he should now cover this. I have his number, supplied by Artic reps. such as yourself. I will call that new owner (he was my original sales guy and the manager at that time of my purchase btw!!) and I will see what he will do and update the masses here to let them know the outcome.

I called the new dealer, and the old sales guy who runs this one answered the phone. He was aware of my issues from Perry, and at the end of the conversation:

> Now I remember partially why I bought an Arctic Tub. Professional and Sincere Sales Guy!

> I will call him next week and he will have answers for how to handle this after talking to Arctic - I feel 100x better already and he hasn't done anything yet.

> Apparently, the old dealer is OUT OF BUSINESS as of yesterday?!

I called the new dealer, and the old sales guy who runs this one answered the phone. He was aware of my issues from Perry, and at the end of the conversation:

> Now I remember partially why I bought an Arctic Tub. Professional and Sincere Sales Guy!

> I will call him next week and he will have answers for how to handle this after talking to Arctic - I feel 100x better already and he hasn't done anything yet.

> Apparently, the old dealer is OUT OF BUSINESS as of yesterday?!

Great to hear things are getting cleared up. It is not uncommon for a dealer who is going out of business (or gets dropped by a manufacturer) to claim that they made the decision to end the relationship.

Now why exactly is this in the swimming pool section?

It is up to Arctic to warranty your tub not the dealer! If they won't honor the warranty then have them take it back! You paid a premium for a good spa backed by a good compoany reguardless of the dealer that folds. If your Ford or Chevy Dealer folds, the waranty is still there by the factory not gone away with the purchasing dealer.

The dealer isn't warrantying the spa, Arctic is!

You bet I would be frustrated to have this problem dumped in my lap by the manufacture. They should get this taken care of rather then let the customer scurry around to get warranty work.

Good luck!

It is up to Arctic to warranty your tub not the dealer! If they won't honor the warranty then have them take it back! You paid a premium for a good spa backed by a good compoany reguardless of the dealer that folds. If your Ford or Chevy Dealer folds, the waranty is still there by the factory not gone away with the purchasing dealer.

You bet I would be frustrated to have this problem dumped in my lap by the manufacture. They should get this taken care of rather then let the customer scurry around to get warranty work.

Good luck!

You are exactly right Soakerman. You all can see dozens of threads about this since my join date to this site. After 2/3 emails to Arctic, Tom was the one who finally responded and started getting exposure to my issue through the company. However, after several months, issues still exist; and throughout the multiple contacts in Arctic; it's always been work through your dealer. They obviouslly all knew this dealer was done and they were waiting for the new dealer to open. Granted, in the overall schemes, my issues have been what I would consider small - non-emergency as far as a tub goes, but still I shouldn't have had to run around like I have....This new dealer is 2 hours away, I can't believe Arctic has no other dealers in the same range from me, after all, I'm with in one hour of Wash. , D.C.

If it weren't for the internet - I wonder if they would have slid me under a rug? In fairness, maybe this is really just all tied to them having to clean up a bad apple dealer and I've just been one of the unforunates ones with bad timing. This other new dealer, my old sales guy, brings back the feeling that I bought from a top notch brand who stands behind their product and that I made an excellent decision with my purchase.

I will let you all know how it turns out.

Good luck!

You are exactly right Soakerman. You all can see dozens of threads about this since my join date to this site. After 2/3 emails to Arctic, Tom was the one who finally responded and started getting exposure to my issue through the company. However, after several months, issues still exist; and throughout the multiple contacts in Arctic; it's always been work through your dealer. They obviouslly all knew this dealer was done and they were waiting for the new dealer to open. Granted, in the overall schemes, my issues have been what I would consider small - non-emergency as far as a tub goes, but still I shouldn't have had to run around like I have....This new dealer is 2 hours away, I can't believe Arctic has no other dealers in the same range from me, after all, I'm with in one hour of Wash. , D.C.

If it weren't for the internet - I wonder if they would have slid me under a rug? In fairness, maybe this is really just all tied to them having to clean up a bad apple dealer and I've just been one of the unforunates ones with bad timing. This other new dealer, my old sales guy, brings back the feeling that I bought from a top notch brand who stands behind their product and that I made an excellent decision with my purchase.

I will let you all know how it turns out.

Every company has growing pains no matter what the make and a bad dealer or one that folds does leave a trail of damage for the manufacture to clear up.

I guess I used the car analogy as when a Infinity dealer the closed up near me, the Infiniti company contacted me before I needed service and gave me another route to go should I need warranty service on my Infiniti purchased. It wasn't up to me the consumer to "work it out" through a folding dealer or go find a dealer. The manufacturere did that for me.

Perhaps that would have helped had Arctic been proactive rather than reactive in your situation. This has happened to Arctic before I think in Colorado where a dealer folded and left alot of stranded customers left to "figure it out". But I would imagine Arctic did in fact get it taken care of.

Heres the latest update:

Service guy came out; albeit a week later than he originally said.

> He said the entire light fixture was cracked; this is the one he replaced a month or so ago.....he said he can't believe it...either he overtightened it or he didnt notice it was damaged when he put it in.....he's a very sincere, honest person in my opinion and good at what he does......He will have to come back next week with a replacement light fixture....

> He checked/replaced my ozonator chip on the house......

> He found a small leak issue elsewhere and clamped most of the hoses; which he said he thinks Arctic now does at the plant automatically....

Till next week!

[...]

> He found a small leak issue elsewhere and clamped most of the hoses; which he said he thinks Arctic now does at the plant automatically....

[...]

Potentially off-topic, BUT...

Did I hear that right ? As a potential buyer of an Arctic Spa -- this was not encouraging...

You can replace the Artic name with any other manufacturer and find stories like this. A good manufacturer can have a dealer make them look bad and a good dealer make a bad manufacturer look good. It takes both manufactures and dealer doing good jobs to insure prosperity way down the road.

Fortunately for me I only service so with abundance and crappy manufactures and dealers I will be busy for years to come.

[...]

[...]

Potentially off-topic, BUT...

Did I hear that right ? As a potential buyer of an Arctic Spa -- this was not encouraging...

Keep things in perspective...the pumps in hot tubs; especially quality ones are very strong. There is some serious power in mine and when they are running, it is natural for fittings to become less secure due to all the vibrations....if they were rock solid, they would break......the leak was minor and was occurring when the filtration was running, when it was off, there was no leak to be found......My tech. put a clamp on it, and he just did this, but he's trustworthy and seemed very confident this would fix the issue; he also said Arctic now does this in their tubs at the factory(he thinks)....he did use to work for a dealer who sold Arctic and other tubs, but he is now an independent service guy......he told me some other stories, and said at least he could find the leak;;took him about 1 minute to find it....he worked on another guys full foam hot springs earlier that day and said he had to put dye in the tub to figure out where the leak was else it was tear the foam/tub to shreds....

Vibration from pump torque on the hoses was known a long time ago by many manufacturers, thats why the piping is put on barbed fittings, glued, then clamped and pipe joints are glued on the inside of the fittings instead of outside the fittings as what Arctic does. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out the piping would come loose as it is only glued and the force water hitting the fitting would in time work loose and cause a leak. If they would glue the flow side of the pipe on the interior of the fitting and the other side on the outer they wouldnt have this problem. This pic is from Arctic own page just to show what I mean when you look at the 90 joint no one else does this.

ArcticPlumbing.jpg

Vibration from pump torque on the hoses was known a long time ago by many manufacturers, thats why the piping is put on barbed fittings, glued, then clamped and pipe joints are glued on the inside of the fittings instead of outside the fittings as what Arctic does. It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out the piping would come loose as it is only glued and the force water hitting the fitting would in time work loose and cause a leak. If they would glue the flow side of the pipe on the interior of the fitting and the other side on the outer they wouldnt have this problem. This pic is from Arctic own page just to show what I mean when you look at the 90 joint no one else does this.

ArcticPlumbing.jpg

Pathfinder

Is this good or Bad???

John

ArcticPlumbing.jpg

Pathfinder

Is this good or Bad???

John

Looks bad to me. I would have thought by now most manufactures realize that 90's are very poor plumbing practice, reduces flow and increases noise.