Opinions On The Cal Spa Avalon A857b

http://www.mycalspas.com/spas/more-info/a857b.asp

So I'm new to this forum & to spas in general, so any opions would be great about this spa. So far this is the only one that I really seem to like, but with all the negative postings about warranty work and ect, I have some doubts. I am not sure if it's the older Cal Spas that have warrantly problems or if things are a bit different with a 2007? If there are other spas out there that have the same features, I would love to know which ones they are and I'll definately go check them out.

The most important features for me are:

6 person

Cool off Seat

Foot Massager

The most jets possible....not less than 50

Features I don't need are:

Waterfalls

LED lighting

T.V.

Stereo

TIA for any information I receive :D

I would suggest a wet test of this tub & then everything I am posting about this tub will be correct.

Avalon57 3 pumps 1 speed and 2 1-speed pumps only on high. With the design and layout of this tub it should only need to 2 dual speed pumps but it is plumbed poorly. the division of the diverters in the tub are quite confusing. The tub consists of mainly bullet jets. The neck jets have way too much power put to them and dont completely shut of with the diverter or inividually. It Shouldnt retail for more than $6,995 its a mid range tub. There was a lot of problems with them in 06 such as jet issues and board issues. The seating design is really good I must say its spacious enough for multiple people over 6' in height. My biggest problem is the large whirlpool jet right beside the filter canister in the top left seat. It serves no purpose it is a high gpm jet which you cant divert or lower the flow without cutting flow to other seats. If you wet test look for these things. Find out what the cover looks like before you get it I know last year Cal was getting covers with padding on one side on no padding in the middle so heat easily eascapes. If you do buy it make sure the waterfall is always turned completely off when you close the tub since the angle its put at will go against the cover and leak out of the tub(ive seen it happen) Cal is terrible for warranty claims. Its a middle line tub of Calspas 1 series up from the Victory. Dont let anyone tell you different.

One more thing - just because a tub has lots of jets doesnt mean its better. I have seen a tonne of tubs offer better therapy with 20 or so jets than a tub with 50-80

I would suggest a wet test of this tub & then everything I am posting about this tub will be correct.

Avalon57 3 pumps 1 speed and 2 1-speed pumps only on high. With the design and layout of this tub it should only need to 2 dual speed pumps but it is plumbed poorly. the division of the diverters in the tub are quite confusing. The tub consists of mainly bullet jets. The neck jets have way too much power put to them and dont completely shut of with the diverter or inividually. It Shouldnt retail for more than $6,995 its a mid range tub. There was a lot of problems with them in 06 such as jet issues and board issues. The seating design is really good I must say its spacious enough for multiple people over 6' in height. My biggest problem is the large whirlpool jet right beside the filter canister in the top left seat. It serves no purpose it is a high gpm jet which you cant divert or lower the flow without cutting flow to other seats. If you wet test look for these things. Find out what the cover looks like before you get it I know last year Cal was getting covers with padding on one side on no padding in the middle so heat easily eascapes. If you do buy it make sure the waterfall is always turned completely off when you close the tub since the angle its put at will go against the cover and leak out of the tub(ive seen it happen) Cal is terrible for warranty claims. Its a middle line tub of Calspas 1 series up from the Victory. Dont let anyone tell you different.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I only want to do this once in my lifetime so I could use all the help I can get. I think it might be time for a wet test and it's possible that's all I need to make or break my heart. Thanks again

Thank you so much for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I only want to do this once in my lifetime so I could use all the help I can get. I think it might be time for a wet test and it's possible that's all I need to make or break my heart. Thanks again

After that write up by Pathfinder I might shop around a bit more. Cal has not been known for quality and service the past few years and that was their big new model last year to try to make a splash but it doesn't sound like a pat on the back review.

HI im a cal spa and jacuzzi dealer and the avalon is a really good choice of cal,its probally our biggest seller because of the seat config and the cool down seat its the consumer digest best buy of the year 2007.It retails for about 7695.00 it has a lifetime heater no heating element exposed to the water and all these people talking about warranty claims (problems) the dealer takes care of your problems, and then the dealer handles the warranty through cal...at least thats how we do it here in nw arkansas..largest service dept in arkansas and largest dealer in the united states.65 hot tubs in stock! every spa name has problems with jets, leaks ,heaters ,ect....hottubs are maintnance items just like a car or a jet ski......thanks.

How about you lose the sales pitch and offer some facts about the tub. Have you sat in the tub before and tried it out have you serviced any of the tubs. Since Cal had Balboa put in lesser quality relays on the control boards for the Avalons to save some change.

Yes i have sat in the avalon and cheaper contrlol pack doesnt mean a bad thing why would i give a sales pitch, i make nothing off the info, so stick to your opinion and ill stick w mine,cal is a very good name and has been for along time,let me guess Mr. pool and spa owner I bet your tubs are the best? cal is good and hotsprings also try jacuzzi,those are the three top brands,selling spas for 30 years i do know a thing or two...

Jet count means nothing key jet placement says therapy, 3 pumps and good warranty, plus great service,is nice.cal is known for positive pressure they run flex hose to each individual jet for uniformal pressure,also cal has a safety suction feture that saves lives and saves pumps and motors....not all cal spas are the 100% no break down spas like evreryone else seems to have ,but bottom line is wet test and pick someone w a service deptment, all spas need some work,I PROMISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI im a cal spa and jacuzzi dealer and the avalon is a really good choice of cal,its probally our biggest seller because of the seat config and the cool down seat its the consumer digest best buy of the year 2007.It retails for about 7695.00 it has a lifetime heater no heating element exposed to the water

If thats not a sales pitch then what is it.??? From what I dealt with for a year and a half with Calspa - the large amount of RGA's and from the huge amount of tubs that went back to Calspa in the last 2 years from Canada, I will say the tubs I carry are much better than a Calspa. I have some happy Cal customers with Classic 43 tropicals that followed me. But when I spent the first 2 weeks having to fix every new Avalon tub that went to a customer last year thats hardly good in my book. I like Jacuzzi I have sat through a few Jacuzzi tech seminars. HS is also good I know a dealer who owns multiple stores as well. So What are you getting at, telling me about other brands this is about an Avalon tub and the straight facts about it. Can you tell us any little extras about the tub like is the stuck jet problem fixed from last year when they used pentair jet housings but used waterway jets and the jets would get stuck and wouldnt turn bc they were not compatible.

yes telling about the avalon You guys automatically go to oh its a sales pitch.... the jets do not get stuck unless you have a improper chemical balance for a period of time ,calcium build up!talking about the avalon series it has all the bells and whistles you can get on a tub plus more exclusive fetures offered only buy cal spas..

Since when were you allowed to get the safety suction feature on the Avalon. They werent offered last year and they weren t on the 07 protos in Dec when they had the bigger water feature added. This jet issue was a fact since I heard it directly from Jim in engineering and from Jon Morissey. The euro jets were stuck after 2 days and it wasnt Calcium build up. The positive pressure system is the same as everyone else that uses a manifold system. I agree the the tru blu system is good but you can t order it on an Avalon. So thats pointless to mention.

If you only want to do this once I would stay clear of a Cal spa, unless you like spa breaking down often.

Do not get hung up on jet count as you cannot use them all at once anyways.

I agree!

How about the heaters from Cal with the lifetime warranty that they always claim it is not under warranty for some reason.

Sorry Cal Spas is a joke!

Agree!

God Bless YOU!

Well so far nobody has really given any hard facts about why cal is a joke. Most of the problems everyone is saying is crazy, To you people who think you know everything about cal you really dont,IM the largest cal dealer in the united states and have been for 30 years,so i guess cal isnt that bad, the heater warranty is life (NO QUESTIONS) if anything goes wrong its covered.And for the true blue safety suction to Mr.know it all it is standard on all tubs except the victory series. Yes u can get it on the Avalon THANK YOU!

Well so far nobody has really given any hard facts about why cal is a joke. Most of the problems everyone is saying is crazy, To you people who think you know everything about cal you really dont,IM the largest cal dealer in the united states and have been for 30 years,so i guess cal isnt that bad, the heater warranty is life (NO QUESTIONS) if anything goes wrong its covered.And for the true blue safety suction to Mr.know it all it is standard on all tubs except the victory series. Yes u can get it on the Avalon THANK YOU!

Maybe they do not question you about the heater but the two I tried to warranty for a couple of customer was denied. They claimed chemical damage, which is funny seeing how the heater is not even in the water. When I asked them to explain the phone mysteriously got disconnected.

Then there was the leaker I fix a couple of years ago, when I was removing the foam I found they put cardboard boxes to take up space so they did not have to use as much foam.

IM the largest cal dealer in the united states and have been for 30 years

Any way we can prove you are the largest Cal dealer in the United States?

Also, I went to your website, it said you were in business since 1987. Do I have the wrong business, I was looking at Graham Crackers Backyard & Patio's website?

One other thing, Cal Spas was started in 1979.

Then there was the leaker I fix a couple of years ago, when I was removing the foam I found they put cardboard boxes to take up space so they did not have to use as much foam.

Is this a joke? New style of thermopane, I guess.

No joke I just wish I had a digital camera with me. You would have never found them unless you dug into the spa. I cannot be the only service person that has seen this from Cal.

Hi,

Looks like you guys know much more about spas then me- however, I can give you my opinion on my spa. I have a Cal Spa Avalon 844L. I bought it in Aug of 06. It does have the shut off system, and it works. I have had one issue with a jet that did not stay in when you turned it on, the dealer replaced it, although it took longer than I thought it should. I will tell you that I use the spa almost every night and it works fine. As to the jets sticking - haven't seen that issue. The neck jets are overpowered and they don't turn off entirely- not a big deal for me. I am pretty sure that if your PH is not balanced you could quickly have sticking issues. Is there better spas out there? I'm sure. Did I pay too much? I can count on one hand the number of times I thought I got a "steal" on a worthy product- so I would like to pay less on everything I buy. I stumbled on this sight looking for aftermarket filters for my spa ( that cheap thing coming out again).

Good Discussion,

My 2 cents worth.....