Cover Lifts

I'm finding handling the cover on our new spa (Freeflow Passport) just a bit awkward. I've seen cover lifters on the market, but all I really need is something that makes getting the cover off the ground (we usually lean it, folded in half, against the spa itself). It's not the weight so much as the reach. If it had a couple handholds on the underside, that would almost solve the problem!

Anyway, the lifters on the market seem kind of pricey and most of them leave the cover sticking up quite a bit. I'd rather have the unobstructed view. Further, I'm somewhat ansty about drilling holes in the synthetic cabinet. There is clearance behind the tub, but not unrestricted. It's at the edge of the patio and there is only a foot or so of slab behind it -- so a shelf is probably not the right answer.

Anyone have a home-grown solution?

I think a cover lifter is a good investment and it's not too hard to put one on a spa. Covers are exspensive and keeping one in good condition can really make a difference in insualting the tub. My advice is to spend the $150 or so and get one.

however here are two links that might help you. One is for a stand that holds the cover. Maybe you can find one in the states or it can inspire you to design your own?

the other link is to a guy on EBAY who for $4.00 will send you plans to make your own lifter. I have absolutely no idea what his plans are. I'm just passing on the link I found.

Also you can find some cover lifters on Ebay. Many for under $100.00

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do. :)

http://www.splashspas.co.uk/spa-accessorie...cover-stand.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hot-Tub-Spa-Cover-Lift...1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm finding handling the cover on our new spa (Freeflow Passport) just a bit awkward. I've seen cover lifters on the market, but all I really need is something that makes getting the cover off the ground (we usually lean it, folded in half, against the spa itself). It's not the weight so much as the reach. If it had a couple handholds on the underside, that would almost solve the problem!

Anyway, the lifters on the market seem kind of pricey and most of them leave the cover sticking up quite a bit. I'd rather have the unobstructed view. Further, I'm somewhat ansty about drilling holes in the synthetic cabinet. There is clearance behind the tub, but not unrestricted. It's at the edge of the patio and there is only a foot or so of slab behind it -- so a shelf is probably not the right answer.

Anyone have a home-grown solution?

How about a Covermate II? It sits fairly low to the ground behind the spa to reduce the obstruction covers create with many lifters.

http://www.rhtubs.com/coverlifts/cover-mate2.htm

Having no lifter on a spa is a real bummer. I know they aren't always cheap but getting the right lifter makes the spa experience sooo much better and you'll have your spa for many years so you really do want a lifter.

• 2 weeks later...

This post got past me (I think it started the day I discovered P&S forums...)

but I just want to flag it for one more round :

Anybody else have

-- manufacturer's lifts that came with their spa and were great ? weren't worth a nickel ?

-- anybody care to share pictures of lifts or storage areas they've made themselves ?

-- anybody else have experience with third party lifts they love ? they hate ?

I've checked all the links in the post so far, and done a little freehand searching myself out there...

Personally, the shelf units look nice and simple but that CoverMate II looks pretty slick as well.

On a side note,

as a SHOPPER who hopes to be a BUYER soon and an OWNER shortly thereafter,

I'm amazed at the world of "accessories," add-ons and supply distributors you can find online.

Can't wait to get in the water !

/ Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this topic

Well now this is quite interesting..... indeed. Someone mentioned that Costco only has a 15% mark up on all their products? Well, I can get this exact type of lift, for considerably less than what they would be paying for it if they're only adding 15%. In fact, my "normal" price is LESS than 1/2 of what their charging on their web site. And, I've been offered specials, and introductory offers, for almost 1/2 of that!

I won't even bother,at this point, to go into quality.......................or shall I say, "lack of".

Costco sells a simple coverilfter for $140.00 on the website. This is about $40.00 less the then coverlifter II. as on the rhtubs website.

This post got past me (I think it started the day I discovered P&S forums...)

but I just want to flag it for one more round :

Anybody else have

-- manufacturer's lifts that came with their spa and were great ? weren't worth a nickel ?

-- anybody care to share pictures of lifts or storage areas they've made themselves ?

-- anybody else have experience with third party lifts they love ? they hate ?

I've checked all the links in the post so far, and done a little freehand searching myself out there...

Personally, the shelf units look nice and simple but that CoverMate II looks pretty slick as well.

On a side note,

as a SHOPPER who hopes to be a BUYER soon and an OWNER shortly thereafter,

I'm amazed at the world of "accessories," add-ons and supply distributors you can find online.

Can't wait to get in the water !

/ Thanks to everyone for their contribution to this topic

I used the shelf and had one of Docs covers with the handles at the seam so I could simply fold it in half and push it onto the shelf while climbing in and pulling it off the shelf while exiting. Worked real well.

I used the shelf and had one of Docs covers with the handles at the seam so I could simply fold it in half and push it onto the shelf while climbing in and pulling it off the shelf while exiting. Worked real well.

Did you use the shelf mainly because your spa was totally sunk into a deck? Otherwise, I don't hear of too many people using that one.

Did you use the shelf mainly because your spa was totally sunk into a deck? Otherwise, I don't hear of too many people using that one.

Yes, and surrounded by railing. I am currently tubless though :( I'm rebuilding a 1991 Emerald and converting it to digital but I have a buyer for that one. Gona have to find one before winter. Doc I need to wet test a 6' redwood, gas fired, 110V send it to Sturgeon Lake Minnesota. Oh, propane.

• 4 months later...

Yes, and surrounded by railing. I am currently tubless though :( I'm rebuilding a 1991 Emerald and converting it to digital but I have a buyer for that one. Gona have to find one before winter. Doc I need to wet test a 6' redwood, gas fired, 110V send it to Sturgeon Lake Minnesota. Oh, propane.