What to look at when Buying used tub?

Hey all, going to look at a hot tub early next week, the seller says everything works good on it and he still has it filled in running so I can see it run. I'm new to hot tubs, but I'm a pretty well-rounded handy guy so usually can work my way through most things. What do you look for when you're checking out a used tub? From the pictures that I can see the tub is a 10-year-old plug and play, believe brand is Freestyle? Model IPG 202se, has been kept in an enclosed porch so it's not out in the weather and looks to be in really nice shape. And as a bonus he says he has a bunch of guys he can have there to help me load it on to the trailer. So really I just need to know what to look for while I'm looking it over.

Screenshot_20240313-145505.png

You are already taking the first step, see it running. Make sure ALL functions work.

Examine under it thoroughly for any signs of leaks.  Inspect the frame for rot, etc. Has it a good cover? 

I would pop the cover on the electronics and look for any signs of a relay overheat. Dark spots on the board, etc.

• Like 2

Well all was good with it, saw it running at 104, no leaks and all looked good, he even had a few guys show up to lift it onto the trailer after we drained it. Have it set up now, just waiting on it to reach temp. Like a kid waiting for Santa. 2 days and we're up to 91. Hoping by this evening we'll be in for a soak. We're going to build a 12x14 gazebo over it and make a privacy fence around it, hopefully next week then a busy of mine who's an electrician is going to come help me switch it from 110. 

IMG_20240318_193835330.jpg

• Like 1

I'm going to add some insulation as it's struggling to get out of the mid 90's with our recent 0 degree temps. Also speaking with an electrician about converting to 240. He's asking what size amperage we need and without the manual I'm having troubles finding it. Any idea how I might figure it out? 

Below Manual From 2018 but should have most of the information you might need. Normally a 50 AMP GFCI is used. Need to see the circuit board and the schematic on inside cover. I would install a 60 AMP. When using a 50 the spa can run main 2 speed on high + heater but when you engage the second high speed pump the heater will cut out. You could run P1 on low P2 on high + heater but again once you place P1 to high the heater will cut out. Some Balboa packs can be made to run off a 60 AMP with a "Dip" switch setting change and be able to run all pumps and heater at same time. Post the pics.

Use #6 - 3 wire (3 wires plus a ground)

https://lmi-websites-media.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/freestylespas-com/Previous+Years+Manuals/2018-Freestyle-Spas-Owners-Manual-EN.pdf

Freestyle Spas post 2010 is/was made by Leisure MFG parent company Sunrise Spas in Grimsby, ON. The Sunrise Spa Grimsby factory has now closed and production has been moved to the Hydropool factory in Mississauga. All of the above MFGs are owned by the Jacuzzi Money Fund.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Below Manual From 2018 but should have most of the information you might need. Normally a 50 AMP GFCI is used. Need to see the circuit board and the schematic on inside cover. I would install a 60 AMP. When using a 50 the spa can run main 2 speed on high + heater but when you engage the second high speed pump the heater will cut out. You could run P1 on low P2 on high + heater but again once you place P1 to high the heater will cut out. Some Balboa packs can be made to run off a 60 AMP with a "Dip" switch setting change and be able to run all pumps and heater at same time. Post the pics.

Use #6 - 3 wire (3 wires plus a ground)

https://lmi-websites-media.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/freestylespas-com/Previous+Years+Manuals/2018-Freestyle-Spas-Owners-Manual-EN.pdf

Freestyle Spas post 2010 is/was made by Leisure MFG parent company Sunrise Spas in Grimsby, ON. The Sunrise Spa Grimsby factory has now closed and production has been moved to the Hydropool factory in Mississauga. All of the above MFGs are owned by the Jacuzzi Money Fund.

UPDATE... If you only have a single 2 speed pump plus heater a 40 amp GFCI will work

Just an update, decided to mess around with this today and everything went smooth as silk. Ran the 6/3, 40 amp breaker/GFCI outside, pulled the jumper and switched the dip switch and everything is running a-1. Ran a quick jet cycle and heat stayed on so looks like we're all set. Thanks again for the help!

• Like 2