Curiosity question - electrical

I bought a new CalSpa in late 1988, 240 VAC, 40-amp; had it wired up by contractor associated with the power company.  It was hard wired from the circuit breaker up through conduit through the attic, across through the attic, then outside down to the spa. 

About a decade later I read about GFCI, and realized that my spa did not have GFCI or a shut-off except to open the equipment panel doors.  So I added a 40-amp breaker and box, which also serves as the shut-off.

Question: I'm in Arizona, and when did GFCI for spas become required, and/or why did mine not have this, seemed pretty scary once I learned this, why I added my own.

Anyway, the spa still works, and a couple of times when the heater element threads corroded (electric water heater type element from hardware store) the leak triggered my GFCI.

Thanks for any information about this.

When I wired my own above-ground pool in 2000, I ran 120 VAC through a new dedicated circuit and added GFCI myself.

From what I found, Spas and hot tubs  were required by NEC in 1981. However AZ has not adopted the NEC codes and does their own thing. Pools were before spas and hot tubs. 1980 was when pools required them.

I couldn't find out when AZ actually required GFCI for spas but I'll bet it's after 1988. I have seen other states that required them for spas in 1990. 

Thanks, I know Arizona is generally stooooopider than most states.  I wonder if it was really cost-effective for CalSpa to leave out GFCI for the models ordered for Arizona.

Side note: the owner's manual does state that the spa light does have GFCI (which has never tripped, and the bulb has never been changed), just no other GFCI.