Help with HL error after 240V conversion Low Speed pump heating problem

windsurfnut

Hi, I have an Aquarest Premium 600 PNP spa that was working great in PSN mode as 120V.  I changed it to 240V and having an issue with low speed pump and heating.  WIth pump on High, no issue.  With pump on low, I get a HL or DR code within a minute of heat energizing.  I have good flow, tried it without the filter.  Everything else works as it should.  

Control system is a Balboa RS101

Wiring and settings are as indicated in the manual.    Making me a bit crazy trying to figure this out.  

I put jumper back on J11 and turned dip switch 10 to OFF for Heat w/Hi Pump.  Also jumper wire removed.  I did the 220V to 110V conversion when I installed the tub months ago, so I was pretty familiar with the reversal of the process to go back to 220V

We just took pump and heater off, looked for blockages, backflushed all piping.  There were no blockages to prevent flow.

Put in test mode after refilling with our lake water (currently 36 degrees F) and sensos read:

On High pump: A 36, B 38 - 2 degree spread

On Low pump A 36,B 41 - 5 degree spread

Done with no filter in place, filter in place trips the LOW pump HL code.

Looks like on low I'm 1 degree spread off tripping the HL/DRY code.  Not much room for error here, which is what I believe my issue is.  Now.. How do I fix it after we have essentially started fresh here with drained tub, flushed electronics behaving as it should.  As the tub heats up I expect I'll start running into the HL code on Low pump even with the filter off.

Ok.. Interesting experiment.  

I noticed on the heater tube breakaway diagrams that the heating elelement is much closer to the sensor on one side, and less on the other.  In a low flow environment where the water flow was travelling in that direction may be slightly warmer then the other direction.  So I removed the heater and installed it the oppoiste way.

Immediately my temp readings dropped to within 1-2 degrees of each other and no more HL/DRY errors, even with filter installed again.    WIll post results as tub warms up, but that has made a difference for whatever reason..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Having a really similar problem with an aquarest 400 after my 240v conversion...

I've been troubleshooting all the typical things for DR code like you have and I'm pulling my hair out, so I'm gonna try your hack when I get a chance...

What is the "heater diagram" you mentioned? Can you post?

How is the repair holding up? 

On 12/26/2023 at 8:11 AM, cranbiz said:

Post up pictures of the board and the wiring diagram that is usually found on the inside of the cover. Make sure we have a good shot of the dip switches.

There are several jumper wires that need to be moved as well as changing dip switch positions. It's not hard to miss one.

Please start your own thread and post the pics

I feel your frustration, messing with spa settings can be a headache. So, you've double-checked the wiring and settings, kudos. Just throwing it out there - sometimes a factory reset on the control system does wonders. Had a similar glitch on mine, and a reset surprisingly did the trick.