HL code problem

Deric

Hi All,

We have a spa that came with a home we purchased 2 months ago. The sticker on the tub under the cabinet shows "Sunset Spas" in Pace, FL. Model 1525 date of manufacture in '98.

The heater box is an easyPak EP2000A.

We first noticed the water was a lot hotter than the control was set to. We had it at 104, thermometer showed over 110 (it didn't go higher than that). So we set it to 98 and were good for a while, while we spend some time triaging the issue. Also, the control box (Gecko K-35) may be suspect as it misbehaves a lot when trying to set temps, now it is displaying in Celsius and no idea how that changed or how to change it back.

A few times in the past month the HL code would be displayed and I would shut the spa off, wait a bit, and turn it back on and at least it would function. I did change the filter as well to rule it out, the old one looked done. 

So now what happens is the HL code is displayed all the time and the water doesn't heat. The heater light it lit on the easyPak, so what I did was run pump #1 on the higher setting (press it twice on the Gecko) and the pump runs for about 10 minutes or so and shuts off. I press the control twice and it starts back up. I can do this all day and eventually the water is up to heat and we can actually use the spa.

Would this indicate that the HL sensor (or switch) is bad and needs to be replaced, or more likely the whole heater assembly? I am tying to figure out where the HL sensor is so I can figure out what it is and replace it?

Thoughts and advice greatly appreciated.

-Eric

On 11/27/2023 at 11:39 AM, Deric said:

HL code is displayed all the time

How long after power reset until it shows the error? A few seconds, a minute, several minutes?

It is most likely a bad sensor. Replace both at the same time. They should be noted on the wiring diagram, just track the wires as needed.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had any luck finding the sensor. I do not have a manual and the one online is newer and does not represent my easyPak 2000A, I think20231213_102816.thumb.jpg.1a906d0ea93dc3cb28f98153b7a85ee8.jpg it is vintage 2013 (ish).

I have attached a couple of pics of the board in case someone knows where the sensor is or connects?

Thank you,

-Eric20231213_102827.thumb.jpg.f1fa85f0c9e5ece883accb8fba55d9d3.jpg

Hello,

Attached are the high limit and temp sensor locations.  You may also have a stuck or sticking heater relay on the board causing the heater barrel temperature to rise higher than the computer likes.  This is a repairable failure.

brandon@spokanespas.comtemp_hl.thumb.jpg.68fbcb83b26e568ec1468d907b2de8c0.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for this information Brandon, can you advise how to fix the heater relay? I have replaced the HL & Temp sensors and the HL code still is displayed. I have also replaced the Gecko board (controller?).

Thank you,

-Eric