Replace Gecko Sspa-mp-p122-O1-LS-FB-JJM-LA

Hello all,

I got a "free" tub that is becoming less and less free.

Was getting a FLO warning, motor would start but run slow and then stop, so I have replaced pressure sensor, and motor, and now I'm looking to replace the board and the heater.

The board is Gecko Sspa-mp-p122-O1-LS-FB-JJM-LA

I can't find the cross reference on the Gecko site and the Internets are failing me.  

https://spacare.com/GeckoSSPACrossReference.aspx

Any suggestions of what I could replace this with? I don't care if it is the same, whatever works.

It has a 2 speed pump and ozone (that doesn't work), light, but that's it. Pretty simple. 

Thanks in advance. 

20231101_180858.jpg

Post photos of the circuit board and the schematic on inside cover. Is it hard wired for 240V or 120V plug and play? What voltage was the replacement pump 240 or 120? The pump running slow sounds like a power or lack there of issue.

Do you have a multi meter and knowledge of how to use it? Test the power at where the incoming power wires connect to the pack. White to black 120V, white to red 120V, last.. red to black 240V. I suspect your issue will be here. 

• Like 1

I don't have the cover, unfortunately. The perils of the "free" hot tub.

240 hard wire with 50amp breaker (newly installed by a licensed electrician for once, 😂)

240 pump

I did test all of the connections and did get the correct voltage.

I also checked all the fuses and had the appropriate resistance and voltage.

The pump that was in there originally eventually overheated while I was testing and melted the starter :(

I didn't try to replace the starter, I just threw a new pump at it.

Same issue with the new pump, hence the Eff-It, let's just replace the board and heater. Start fresh.

I can get more pictures at your request.

****Just noticed the tag on the outside of the tub does say sspa-1... The board casing says sspa-mp.****

I appreciate your reply and assistance.

I'm really looking for a suggestion to just replace, rather than troubleshoot, it's Mom's tub and mom can afford new parts.  I can't afford to be her pool boy all the time, so new will hopefully last longer and save me extra visits.

IMG_2620.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

Edited by teddtedderson
Discovered an issue with the model number

https://spacare.com/productimages/pdfmanuals/Gecko/SSPAServiceManual.pdf  

See page 10 and make sure jumper 1 is in position 1.. HC high current mode.

Carry out test on page 47. If it reads correct the issue is at the pump. Verify pump is wired correctly. A slow and or hot running pump could be miss wired with the neutral in the wrong place. Post photos of the white tag on the pump with the diagram and also of the back of the motor so we can see how it is wired.

See page 65 and make sure the pump wires for 240V are attached to the board in the right places SC/MP

If you insist on replacing the system suggest a complete balboa system package that can be bought as a package. https://spapartsdepot.com/balboa-series/ Contact seller directly and tell them your application

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 5:50 AM, CanadianSpaTech said:

Post photos of the circuit board and the schematic on inside cover. Is it hard wired for 240V or 120V plug and play? What voltage was the replacement pump 240 or 120? The pump running slow sounds like a power or lack there of issue.

Do you have a multi meter and knowledge of how to use it? Test the power at where the incoming power wires connect to the pack. White to black 120V, white to red 120V, last.. red to black 240V. I suspect your issue will be here. 

Installing my new Balboa and figured I should follow your instructions.  You nailed it with the voltage.  Glad we paid a licensed electrician.  Sheesh.

Red to white 240.  White to black 120.  Red to black 120.

Glad I checked before I blew up another board and motor. 

On 11/2/2023 at 6:50 AM, CanadianSpaTech said:

suspect your issue will be here. 

On 11/2/2023 at 10:14 AM, teddtedderson said:

did test all of the connections and did get the correct voltage.

On 11/2/2023 at 3:33 PM, CanadianSpaTech said:

could be miss wired with the neutral in the wrong place.

On 11/4/2023 at 12:00 PM, teddtedderson said:

You nailed it with the voltage. 

And that about sums up this entire forum. 🤣

Gold star for YOU, @CanadianSpaTech!

• Thanks 1