Looks like my control board went. Or at least the primary relay to it.

EricT

Hi All

I have a hot springs limelight pulse.  The sub panel feeding the 220 to the unit is a GE setup, I dont think my local reseller even uses GE anymore.  From what I can tell online they have a rep for being mediocre at best.

I live in a monsoon area, so we do get some power outages once a year.  Anytime the power dropped to the house it would usually throw the 30 amp 3 pole breaker.  So with this spa and in that box there is a 30 amp and a 20 amp.  I believe the 20amp is for the heater, 30 for everything else.

The 30 was not testing out properly so I replaced that.  Seemed like the center of the 3 poles wasnt pushing power when it was on.

Got that replaced, confirmed all power present where it's plugged into the control board on the tub - but still no boot.

If I jog the breaker, basically turning the tub on or off - nothing.  No lights of any sort.  I'm thinking that the primary power relay is bad.

Since a new control board looks to be a $700 adventure, I'm thinking about buying a new relay and replacing/resoldering that piece.  Is there any other component on the board I should be checking? 

Right now there is no obvious sign of component burnout on the board itself, at least on the frontside.  I have not yet taken it out for a full proper inspection. 

Just curious what you guys know to look at.  I do have experience replacing components on boards and soldering, and the components should be cheap enough to warrant a try on it. 

I can do that later this morning, I have a tech coming to help me diagnose.  I plan on doing the repair.

I should have titled this that the relay on the control board is what I suspect.  The wiring is the same it has always been, I was very careful to replace the breaker one wire at a time so everything got rewired 1 to 1, and the breaker is exactly the same part number as before.

I just recently read about the unplug the display and the recirc pump should fire trick, I plan on suggesting having that tried this morning with the tech.

I was incorrect about the relay board being bad - but the main logic board was bad.  Replaced that and got life and control back!  And discovered that -

The pressure switch in the heater is bad, so the heater won't detect flow and turn on.

One of the jet pumps has a bad seal on the impeller, leaks when running.  Fortunately only when running.

For some history, the tub is about 8 years old.  Got dirty, needs a cleaning for sure.  But I'm a bit shocked at how not using it for a few months led to all of these other issues.  I suppose it was just that old, didn't take much to tip it over.

The big replacement items are:

Heater

Jet pump 2 (assuming that impeller gasket is non serviceable)

On the smaller side, the ozone generator is most likely past due.  Salt cell has plenty of anode (or cathode?) left, just gunked up.  A chlorine dip should clean it up nicely.

My plan is to drain it, fill, and drain again just to give it a good flush.  Then load up the parts cannon and start firing.

On 10/13/2023 at 9:54 AM, EricT said:

But I'm a bit shocked at how not using it for a few months led to all of these other issues.

Take water out of a hot tub and the air gets at everything. Metal will rust and seals will decay. 

(assuming that impeller gasket is non serviceable)

Leaking pump seals can be replaced but also buy a new impeller as 9/10 times the break when removing. Lots of how to vids out there.

My plan is to drain it

Before draining it run a plumbing line cleaner through it to remove any bio film and bacteria from the plumbing lines. I use Ahh-Some plumbing line cleaner. Wear gloves if you have any cuts on your hands. The bacteria will infect. Don't let the brown stuff dry on the acrylic or you will have a tough time removing it. Watch video on their website.

The big replacement items are:

Heater

If the pressure switch is not functioning properly and not allowing the heater to turn on how do you know it is bad?

the ozone generator is most likely past due.

Personally I would not replace... but not my money