Hot tub foam

Eli2295

Hi everyone,

Every time I turn the jets on my hot tub fills with foam.  Right now the alkalinity is high, but the Ph is at about 7.2.  The water has only been used once since I replaced it so I don’t think it’s a result of excessive oils/lotions and other crap in it.  Also, the foam has some orange/yellow color to some of it.

Also, I use the nature 2 test strips and it says my monopersulfate levels are high, but I don’t know how to lower them.

Has anyone had this issue and figured out how to solve it?  The water at my house has very high alkalinity and average Ph so hard to balance the alkalinity well.

I really appreciate any tips you can all give me!

Thanks!

50373F11-862F-4D63-A04D-B70758ACE793.jpeg

You need to purge the plumbing and drain the water.  Based on what you are saying and showing indicates that you probably have biofilm issues that need to be attenuated.  Purging with an effective product will pay you huge dividends.  This forum has many articles on biofilm that you can read.

I worked 4 decades in the soap and detergent industry.  Fats and oils are what soap is made from.  So any lotions, body fats, detergents used for cleaning, laundry detergent residues in swimsuits can all cause foaming.

Some silicone anti-foam (a few drops) before each use will typically be a band-aid fix, but I think you'll need to drain/rinse/fill several times. And clean out the filter real well too, or replace that.

If one has softened water, that will typically make the situation WORSE, as presence of calcium from the water will generally cause insoluble calcium soaps to precipitate out, and settle on the bottom or in the filter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 3:06 PM, Eli2295 said:

The water at my house has very high alkalinity and average Ph so hard to balance the alkalinity well.

https://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?/topic/28846-lowering-total-alkalinity-howto/

As far as the form goes I would also think that biofilms are the problem since you are using nature 2. I would also recommend ;purging the spa.

The orange color could be iron. Are you filling with well water?