Small Leak, big cost? (hopefully not!)

buriboi

Hello all,

I noticed my hydropool 5000 spa's water level dropped pretty significantly over the last 3-4 days, and upon inspection, found water leaking from the area circled in the photo below. 

Being a complete layman, I'm just looking for thoughts before I get the spa guy here, as I'd prefer to be at least a little informed before agreeing to an expensive fix!

Any help appreciated!

669585151_hottub(1).jpg

tub22.png

Just needs a quick rebuild. Pump seal $10 and impeller $35 plus the service call cost. Usually takes me 1.5 hours... 2 at most. It is in an easy location and the pump shaft looks clean and not rusted. Not hard to DIY and there are lots of videos on how to. Post photo of the white tag on the top of the motor if you want a part list. Note if it is an XP2 or XP2E

Looks like leaky pump shaft seal.  I had this happen once in 32 years with my CalSpa; removed pump/motor and replaced the seal myself, and wasn't difficult. 

If you R&R'd the pump/motor yourself and/or took that to a shop, would be less expensive.

At least price out a brand-new pump/motor, that could help you decide whether to repair or replace.

9 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

First off, thanks for the help - this is the second time you've figured something out for me! :)

I got the new pump seal and got adventurous and installed it myself, since they told me it would be FOUR WEEKS for a service call...wow!

Now it's not leaking, so I think we solved it....except that the jets don't seem to be doing anything.  When I power it back up from the "off" position, the jets aren't working at all.  The display alternates between the time and the messsage "Drn".   

The local shop suggested an air lock, so I loosed a couple connections and re-tightened them and also turned the tub off at the breaker for a few minutes.   No luck.

Any thoughts?

Just needs a quick rebuild. Pump seal $10 and impeller $35 plus the service call cost. Usually takes me 1.5 hours... 2 at most. It is in an easy location and the pump shaft looks clean and not rusted. Not hard to DIY and there are lots of videos on how to. Post photo of the white tag on the top of the motor if you want a part list. Note if it is an XP2 or XP2E

drain.jpg

The topside panel will show DRN to indicate that the tub is in drain mode. Water should then begin to drain out the end of the hose. Hydropool tubs are drained using the pump. ... This will help to remove any dirt and clean the tub surface.

http://budsspas.com/app/uploads/2015/04/Draining-Your-Hydropool-Tub.pdf

Think you still have air in pump wet end... did you put the impeller back on...lol

Crack the union at the face of the pump and let it dip/run water out with the pump running until pump pressure returns. Let us know results

41 minutes ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Well, i dunno what happened, but it gave up on DRN and went to OH (overheat).  I ended up taking the casing off the impeller housing just to take a peak and when I put it back together, all seemed to work perfectly. 

Must have been a Spa Goblin!!!

Thanks again for your help :)

The topside panel will show DRN to indicate that 
the tub is in drain mode. Water should then begin to drain out the end of the hose. Hydropool tubs are drained using the pump. ... This will help to remove any dirt and clean the tub surface.

http://budsspas.com/app/uploads/2015/04/Draining-Your-Hydropool-Tub.pdf

Think you still have air in pump wet end... did you put the impeller back on...lol

Crack the union at the face of the pump and let it dip/run water out with the pump running until pump pressure returns. Let us know results

• Thanks 1