Catalina cl-750 mariah

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ratchett said:

@Daves_hottub  Any updates???? The suspense is killing me

tenor.gif

Haha, sorry for the delay.

Amazon lost my first heater so I had to reorder and wait for that.

It's all installed and working great.i was able to do that by just disconnecting the pipes and sliding it in centering it up.

I took the opportunity to look at the fibre optic lights and it was just the bulb so I replaced that with a led one and all was good. It turns out the tub light is also connected to the fibre optics so I have that light and the ones around the outside, very 80's. 🙂

The one big outstanding thing I have left is that teeny leak and I am slowly chipping away to find that.

And I guess if we decide we want it I will pull the blower and have a look at that.

I found a project where someone hooked up their controls to a raspberry Pi and then they could monitor and control it over wifi. That is on the list as well.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Latest issue. 

I am getting an "OH" and the water is going up to 110 and then shutting off.

I can hear the heater running (water boiling noise) even when the pump isn't running.

I saw someone else had a similiar problem and the suggested fix was the pressure switch. 

Is it probably the same issue (that was a different spa)

Forgot to add. it did it once before I replaced the heater as well. but then seemed good after I turned the power on and off.

Edited by Daves_hottub
add details

Physically, no. There are 3 relays that control the heater, 2 on one leg, one on the other. One on each leg is controlled by the high limit control and one is the thermostat control, which is what actually switches it on and off. It is the thermostat relay that is stuck (typical). The electronics guy should have no trouble identifying which relay it is. I would let a soldering pro handle it, you only get one chance to screw it up then you are buying a new board. And with the age of that pack, that means a new pack is your best bet. About $400 online, includes new heater and topside control. Repair should run around $100 or so.

Might be worth considering the new pack if your heater and topside are old. It's cheaper than buying them individually and it's newer technology. Install is pretty simple if you are handy and have some basic tools. Same manufacturer and made to retrofit, so no replumbing needed.

11 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Physically, no. There are 3 relays that control the heater, 2 on one leg, one on the other. One on each leg is controlled by the high limit control and one is the thermostat control, which is what actually switches it on and off. It is the thermostat relay that is stuck (typical). The electronics guy should have no trouble identifying which relay it is. I would let a soldering pro handle it, you only get one chance to screw it up then you are buying a new board. And with the age of that pack, that means a new pack is your best bet. About $400 online, includes new heater and topside control. Repair should run around $100 or so.

Might be worth considering the new pack if your heater and topside are old. It's cheaper than buying them individually and it's newer technology. Install is pretty simple if you are handy and have some basic tools. Same manufacturer and made to retrofit, so no replumbing needed.

Where did you  see a new pack for $400 with control and heater? Mine has 2 pumps and the blower and the cheapest I have found is here:
https://www.poolandhottubdepot.com/balboa-bp7-with-tp500-bundle-4kw-heater-2-pumps/
for $709 CAD
If I could find one for $400 it's almost a no brainer.

I found a replacement board for $320 USD + Shipping

12 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Looks like $420 if I got it right.

For a 2 pump I was at $389.00 USD plus 30-35% for dollar exchange and Visa Fees. Then likely duty/brokerage at the border. Then went to see shipping cost to my Canadian address and "Item cannot be shipped to your address". Not sure if that is because I am mildly rural from larger cities but in the end it would be over $600 and closer to $700 before it made it to Canada

5 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

I would try and get that board repaired. There has to be someone local with the right tools and knowledge that can replace ALL the relays for under $180 CDN

Yeah, I think that is the best call.

Spadepot.com won't deliver to downtown Edmonton either. 😞

I will start there.

Thanks guys.

p.s. I gave all of them a good tap and it is working for the moment.

• 1 month later...

I finally tracked down the leak and it was one of the jet housings that was leaking.
That was not fun to replace but it is done now and finally no more leaks.

I figured out exactly which relay was sticking because it stayed stuck after the last time it overheated and I was able to open it with a knife.

I used some very fine sandpaper to clean it up a little and then used some contact cleaner but I suspect it will stick again.

The topside panel is very basic and barely visible in the day time so I was considering replacing both.

I found a Gecko N.YE-5-H4.0-AMP-V2-GD3 locally  for a good price that looks like it would be a decent replacement.

I would have to switch all my connectors but I would have to do that even if I went with a new Balboa so that is pretty much moot.

Any reason not to go with a Gecko? It looks decent.

Many reasons, but @CanadianSpaTechwill disagree.😉

I have a serious love/hate relationship with gecko. I love to hate them.

3 hours ago, Daves_hottub said:

I suspect it will stick again.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Gold star for you Dave! 🤣 You might get a year if you did a truly fantastic job. An electronics repair guy can replace that pretty cheap.

19 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Many reasons, but @CanadianSpaTechwill disagree.😉

I have a serious love/hate relationship with gecko. I love to hate them.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! Gold star for you Dave! 🤣 You might get a year if you did a truly fantastic job. An electronics repair guy can replace that pretty cheap.

Haha, thanks for the star. 🙂

i suspect you are right about the repair guy but I am just considering that the pack is almost 20 years old now and what might go next..

what do you love to hate about the Gecko? A lot of bad experiences or... ?