Spa LED testing huge mistake?

So I put a new harness in the tub for LED lights because mice chewed it all up. I wanted to test the lights without water in the tub so I gave 12v from a car battery to the lights, they lit, and at some point while checking each light, they stopped lighting. Did I just blow EVERY LED, or is there some sort of circuit protection built into the boards in the harnesses???

On 5/20/2020 at 8:45 PM, RDspaguy said:

Where did you hook up the battery? Have you tried them using the spa control for power? 

I disconnected the harness from the board and gave it 12vdc.  There's no water in the tub so I didn't want to power the entire panel.  Is there any circuit protection in the PCBs that would cause them to go out?

3 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

There may be a fuse in the led controller. I am not sure if the controller is dc or ac,  but that could be an issue. I would fill it up and try the main board for power.

Yeah I bypassed the board when I tested them, but I'm moving the spa to it's final resting place tomorrow, and then I'll fill it and see if they are toast after the electric is hooked up.  Once it's in position, I won't be able to access the side panels anymore, so it is what it is.

5 hours ago, CanadianSpaTech said:

Some are AC some are DC...need more info...brand of spa, what control system, stereo?

It's a Saratoga Canfield model.  Again I powered the led circuit independently of the main board.  No stereo.  Am I fucked?

Maybe. The led assembly will often have it's own controller that is in turn controlled by the main board. There could be a fuse in there. Check for it. Most circuit boards have a 12 volt ac supply for the light, and dc voltage applied to an ac circuit can damage it. But yours may have a 12 volt dc source, I do not know for sure. I would need pics of your circuit board to determine manufacturer and model, then have to look up the specs for it. Which will only tell us the voltage, not if your lights are destroyed or not. So, run a piece of wire to your spa and disconnect your heater. Send power to it using the circuit board connections, as you should have to begin with. 

• 1 year later...

understand; I also burned a lot of LED elements because of such experiments. I used to like to test electronics and create interesting and new devices for myself, so I also learned everything specifically in practice. Lately, I really want to create something like a tape from https://www.vont.com/product/smart-strip-lights-led-strip-lights/ and be sure that it is battery powered; this is my main goal. I will be glad if you share any tips on how to make everything not burn down.