CalSpa Pump Issue

I'm hoping to get some expertise in troubleshooting my 2012 Calspa.  I drained and refilled it yesterday after about a year of not being used.  When I turned it on at the breaker, it went into priming mode on the display as expected, with PR displayed.  However, I didn't hear anything at all from the motor.  I pushed the jets button, but still no action from the pump.  I did the same thing several times with similar results.  I don't think it is an issue with air in the lines since the pump never turned on.  I did a continuity check on all the fuses in the box and also checked the pump capacitors.  Everything seemed fine.  Also, I checked every cable I could see to make sure they were all plugged in and undamaged.  I'm not very familiar with the inner workings of the hot tub, but everything looked clean, unfrayed, and there were no loose or disconnected wires.

Any tips for next steps troubleshooting?  I'm thinking that maybe I should see if power is being supplied to the pump?  I'm not sure whether it should receive 240 or 120.   

When you did the continuity test on the fuses did you remove them or test them installed?

How exactly did you test the capacitor, out of curiosity? If the cap is bad the motor hums or buzzes for a bit then will click audibly as the internal overheat protection trips.

Are there any error codes on the display?

Did you test line voltage? (Voltage at the spa hookup.)

Can you post a pic of your control box and circuit board?

RDSpaguy, 

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried what you mentioned and got the following results. 

Yes, I removed the fixes for continuity check. I didn’t specifically check ohms, just beeping continuity. 

I tested both capacitors for capacitence using a multimeter. Measured across the terminals that were connected. Two terminals per capacitor. I believe it was 30 uf each.

There is no noise whatsoever to indicate that any parts are on. The only indication that anything is working is the display. All the buttons seem to work. When I push them the display reacts as expected. However, I did notice that the light isn’t responding either. 

No error codes on the display. It reads Pr for a few minutes, then back and forth between the temp and Ec. 

I tested voltage going in to the spa. 121v each across red and black.

I also checked voltage to the pump. I got 120v ac when I tested across the green to white and also 120v when I tested from green to red  

Here are some pictures to show what I’m working with. 

E8684BF2-27C8-4285-B2D2-33D4CCB6E82E.jpeg

31D5AE21-D436-4795-8BE1-54FF8AB57BAE.jpeg

684D1420-1AC5-4F4B-A1B6-E312C6143034.jpeg

574C91E6-3E5D-45A9-B40F-1DF0A5FB42FB.jpeg

Ok I tried the testing from red to black on input power and got 243v. As far as the pump power, I couldn’t get anything but 120v from green to white and green to red. All other combinations get no reading.

I seem to remember having the option to use 120v or 240v when I first got the tub and chose 240v so it would heat more easily. Is the pump only 120? I thought the heating element was the part that was affected. 

I’ve attached a picture of my panel as well. 

DF293237-8983-432F-A762-0B82526E8548.jpeg

Green is ground. It is not part of the circuit, but a safety component in the event of a short. Green is only "hot" in a DC system, such as your car. You should not use it for testing purposes.

At the pump, red is high speed, black is low speed, white is common. Test from black to white on low speed, and red to white on high speed. The way your circuit board is configured (and I have installed hundreds of these), your pump is wired for 240v. The pump motor will have a label on it that lists the specs, voltage will be there.

28 minutes ago, RDspaguy said:

Can't believe I missed it. Gold star for you, Canadaguy!

Safety suction will throw an error, SS.

I would still jump them and take them out of the equation when dealing with this type of issue. Is the safety suction light supposed to be lit saying it's working or lit to say a suction or flow issue has been detected?

Well..looking back at the photos I see the led indicator light on the topside for Safety Suction  but there is no safety suction system plumbed in so....

That aside I would remove the board and have a look on the backside for darkened or burnt areas around the relays.

That board took a major hit. Replace entire pack with heater. If you look at all the solder nipples there is a lot of black/burn on the tips of the nipples nipples. You don't have to buy that exact Cal Spa pack. There are other basic options. Just make sure it is compatible with that balboa topside or buy a complete balboa kit pack with topside included.

So I assume the heater is done as well then? Or can I just replace the lead? I’ll look around, but like you mentioned it may be cheaper to just buy a whole kit. 

As far as the pump goes, is there a way to test it without replacing the kit? The spa needs a new cover as well so costs are quickly adding up. Perhaps I could hardwire it directly to the main power?

You could test low speed  then hi speed at the back of the pump using 120V plug. Mark down positions of the wires going into the back of the pump White green black and red then remove. Cut the female end off and old extension cord and crimp on female spade connectors to the black and white and a split connector for the green. Attach green and then the match up the white with original white position. Attach the black to original black position and plug it in. It should run on either high or low. then unplug and remove the black and attach it to where the original red position and it should run the other speed (hi or low). Suggest plugging into a GFCI protected wall plug or even a GFCI protected extension cord...you know the one behind your t.v. Do not run pump motor for more than a second or 2 it's all you need for testing.

Pro Tip: Safety never takes a holiday. Be Safe and don't work beyond your ability. If your unsure don't do it. Electricity can/will kill. I'm just a guy on the internet