Pump will only operate at low speed not high speed

JWL

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got my head back in the tub and cut out the check valve. The flapper was completely disconnected. Kudos to @RDspaguy for the correct diagnosis despite all my descriptions.

So now the next trick will be to find the parts to connect to the 2-3/8 ID piping. Would like to be walking into a store with the parts in hand but that ain't happening any time soon. Hopefully my local hot tub store is available to buy parts.

There is a 45* elbow in the section that I removed that is from Waterway part #411-2200  45° Ell - 2" Spigot x 2" Spigot. It appears to be 2-3/8 OD and  2" ID.

1845_411-2200_BW-copy.png

I am replacing:

Existing 2-3/8 ID pipe >> check valve with 2-3/8 OD >> 4" 2-3/8 ID pipe  >> 45* elbow 2-3/8 OD/2" ID >>   4" of 2-3/8 ID pipe  >>  Tailpiece 2-3/8 OD  that is a union connection to heater pipe

So I think my best bet is either:

1. Existing 2-3/8 ID pipe >> ball valve with 2-3/8 OD and 2" ID >>  6" of 2" pipe >>  Existing 45* elbow 2-3/8 OD/2" ID >>   4" of 2-3/8 ID pipe  >>  Tailpiece 2-3/8 OD

2. Existing 2-3/8 ID pipe >> coupling with 2-3/8 OD and 2" ID >> 4" of 2" pipe >> ball valve with  2" ID >>  4" of 2" pipe >>  Existing 45* elbow 2-3/8 OD/2" ID >>   4" of 2-3/8 ID pipe  >>  Tailpiece 2-3/8 OD

I prefer #1 would have less fittings and more room to work but it requires the right ball valve.

#2 would have all the fittings with minimal piping in between which is always a bit tricky based on experience with ABS under sinks.

I would cut it out and rebuild it with 2" pipe and fittings, leaving a 2" pipe stub to connect to the existing "2-3/8" id" pipe. That way you only need standard pvc fittings, no expensive specialty fittings from hayward. You could rebuild it in 2" all the way back to the pump and it will not change your flow at all.

6 hours ago, JWL said:

I finally got my head back in the tub and cut out the check valve. The flapper was completely disconnected. Kudos to @RDspaguy for the correct diagnosis despite all my descriptions.

So now the next trick will be to find the parts to connect to the 2-3/8 ID piping. Would like to be walking into a store with the parts in hand but that ain't happening any time soon. Hopefully my local hot tub store is available to buy parts.

WHAT!

I think there is a large 2" or 2.5 check valve. I think on the suction side between the foot well suction drains and the pump. https://arctichottubparts.com/plumbing/ball-check-valve/check/check-valve-2-1-2lb-spring.html

Ok ok team effort. Good job everyone high 5 high 5

Total team effort. Tried to spread the love around to all who helped. Apologies to @CanadianSpaTech if you didn't feel acknowledged/appreciated (although I think I detected that you're mostly jokin around).

I was SOOOOO far off the mark when I started that I am amazed that you two figured it out. Who

Finally got the parts today from a local shop who still has a sales desk open so I could bring in my parts and get the right replacements. Might have paid a bit more than I would have from Lowes, but their advice is certainly helpful and I feel more confident I have the right parts for a hot tub. Hopefully the 2" PVC will fit properly into the Arctic Spa flex hose and I can get a good seal.

image.png.6f47ccb74bc77ec583941e1909890706.png