Older hot tub FLO error

steveoc

I have a older tub, which is kept in its own indoor spa / shed.

We get a FLO error at intermittent times.

I have had an Engineer out, who wants us to spend £1200 on a whole new control system. reckons its the circuit board.

When the FLO error comes on - the whole spaform control panel locks out, not even the lights can be switched on / off.

All pumps stop, but give the hot tub a good twenty minutes and it just starts up again as if nothing happened and carries on its merry way.

Trouble is this is getting more frequent. If it was a standard flow error, shouldnt at least one of the pumps carry on working.

When the engineer forced the flo error, by jumper settings - i think or disabling the flo sensor, one pump did carry on. so its very confusing as we get total lock out.

Any ideas

48 minutes ago, steveoc said:

Just checked filters, they were only changed a month ago,  however pulling them removed the flo error... Hmmm a good clean or new filters methinks. 

One of the spa technicians on these forums recently stated that about 80% of his service calls are caused by the filter.  Replacing or cleaning the filter resolved most of his service calls. 
It's the cheapest easiest thing to start with before digging deeper into things

Yes first thing I will do when a customer calls is to get them to remove the filters and run the spa without them until the issue is fixed making sure there is nothing in the spa that can go down the hole where the filter goes in. Usually I will ask when was the last time you cleaned your filters...then there is usually a long pause as they think back 2 weeks, 6 weeks, 6 months. IMO paper pleated filters should be washed out weekly with regular spa use (2+X/week) and soaked for 24 h in Filter Wash every 6 weeks then rinsed and dried. Also a good idea to buy an extra filter and rotate a clean one in weekly while soaking and cleaning the used one. If there is stil an issue with the spa after removing the filters and re setting the GFCI breaker then I will book a service call. In the Winter I go to the coin op car wash and place the filter on my trailer hitch and gently pressure clean without soap making sure to get all the crud out from the crease in between the pleats. In summer I just use the garden hose but you have to make sure to get into the crease of the paper pleats and remove the hair and gunk.If the water flow can't get through the filter pleats it will slow down the flow of water and cause an error and also make other parts in the spa work harder.

Each time you enter the spa anything attached to your body and swim suit comes out. Underarm deoderant, shampoo, body oils and detergent. If using a bathing suit just rinse after use and do not wash with regular laundry as it will pick up the detergent. These are all organic contaminants and will just suspend in the spa. The only way to remove them from the spa is to get them to the filters and then remove and clean the filter. If you have a cloudy spa the cloudyness is the suspended organic contaminants or if there is a punky odour that is the organic matter dying and off gassing. To do this use spa shock weekly or as required. If you are removing the contaminants regularly you will use less chemicles. If you don't these contaminants will eat up your sanitazer quicker and you will have to add more frequently. Using spa shock and keeping the filters clean will reduce foaming and the scum line along the edge of the spa. Water should always look crystal clear and smell clean if not you need to take action. If cloudy clean the filters then Shock the water and run until it clears up then remove and clean the filters again.

Clean filters are a key to maintaining a healthy hot tub and using less chemicles. It is the most basic thing but also most over looked by a lot of spa owners. 

Thank you all for your advice. I think we will have to clean the filters and shock more regularly than we do. 

As it is used twice a week or more by our air bnb guests, I also feel we should be more harsh with encouraging them to shower first. 

Well filters are out and soaking, new ones on order as ours uses two. Didn't realise about having to dry the them.

Let's see if this fixes the flo error permanently 

No need to dry them if they are going right back in. Shock usually a cap or so (25g) weekly but if you see it getting a little cloudy then add 3-4 caps (75-100g) Showering is helpfull...make up and hand lotion are killers. I also use a product called Spa Solution. It will help prevent bio-film and bacteria build up inside the plumbing for a 3 mth period.