2007 Arctic Spa Blisters/cracks On Spa Shell, What To Do?

capjak

I would wait to hear what Arctic Spas says, and I too would give them a call. Is it the acrylic shell surface that is blistered or the fiberglass shell that is blistered and cracked? Arctic Spas warrants the acrylic shell surface for five years, and the fiberglass shell for a lifetime. So, if it is the shell surface that is blistered, it may not be warrantied since it would be past the five years. I would check with your dealer that you got the spa from about it, and then check with Arctic Spas if you dont get any help there. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Blistering of the acrylic is something that can happen and if its within the 5 year warranty it is covered, if outside 5 years it is not. The good thing is this is typically only a cosmetic issue but you also say it is leaking. Are you listing two unrelated issues or are you saying it is leaking where the blisters are because if so then thats a fiberglass issue and not typical at all (its why there is a lifetime warranty on that fiberglass outside shell, a leak there rarely occurs). If your dealer isn't taking care of the issue call the manufacturer.

• 1 month later...

Artic Spas dealer I bought from went out of business in my area. Artic Corporate stated that it was a few months past warranty when I contacted them. Of course this did not happen overnight so it would have started within the Warranty. They stated to take pictures and they will determine what, if anything that they will do.

There are cracks in the shell as well as blisters and I believe that is likely where the leaking is coming from.

What are you using for the foundation for the tub? I'm asking because Arctic used say, maybe they still do, that you can level the ground and just set them on it. I always recommend against that no matter what the dealer/manufacturer say. Cracked fiberglass is very rare unless the tub is not on a stable level and flat foundation. Blisters while not as rare are still uncommon and can easily be fixed.

Altho it is no secret i am not an Arctic fan, I would also doubt the leak is coming from the blisters or cracks, as the cracked portion is typically only the acrylic, not the structural portion of the tub.

Arctic leak issues are pretty common, in the period of time your spa was built, they were still sorting out a number of manufacturing issues, because of the perimiter-only foam insulation design they had issues with the jet face gaskets leaking, and "solved" the problem by using epoxy to glue the jets to the shell. When jets shrink with age, the epoxy can fail, or the jet can crack. This was also a period of time when they didn't clamp their hoses to their fittings, relying only on the strength of the glue to combat the pipes swelling when the jets were on, and this let to a bunch of leaks as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Update:

Took pictures sent to Arctic they offered to replace my tub with a brand new one for $4800 plus shipping (no cover/lifter or delivery).

So I would pay shipping (likely 500 + electric hook up + need to move old one out and new on in) I can switch cover and lifter from current spa to this new one or.... There is no Arctic Dealer near my area so service/repair in the future may be an issue as well.

I can purchase a hot spring or sundance for 9000+