Help Me Choose

midlifer

I have an opportunity to purchase a used 2005 Marquis Reward with little use. The spa comes with the normal stuff like a cover, lift, and stairs. The price is 5k delivered. According to the Marquis website, the warranty is transferable. So it's either this or the Costco Platinum Legend, also 5k. However the Legend would also have 8% sales tax, no delivery, and less warranty than I would get with Marquis. The spa is being sold by a private owner and not a shop.

So for less money and less hassle, is the Marquis a better deal?

I would verify that the warranty transfer and what items are covered before I would commit. Don't relly on the salesman but call Marquis with a serial number and also inform them you are purchaseing this used. You are talking about a three year old spa, Three year old cover and three years of wear on the heater, circ pump and ozone. This is not a slighly used spa. Something seems a bit fishy and I bet you could get the spa for a lot less money since it is used. I would think more in the neighborhood of $2000.00 as it is used.

For the same price I would go with the Costco spa

From Marquis.

This warranty extends to the original retail purchaser of the spa for personal, family or household

purposes only. This warranty is transferable to all subsequent spa owners for personal, family or

household purposes only. Warranty coverage dates from either the original purchase date by the original

owner or nine months after date of manufacture, whichever occurs first. Warranty transfer must be

verified and validated with Marquis Corp. within ten days of the transfer sale by completing the

warranty transfer form. Warranty transfer forms are available at the local authorized Marquis Dealer or

by contacting the Marquis Corp. Customer Service Department

Depending on original date of purchase, worst case this spa would be 2 years and 3 months.

I have an opportunity to purchase a used 2005 Marquis Reward with little use. The spa comes with the normal stuff like a cover, lift, and stairs. The price is 5k delivered. According to the Marquis website, the warranty is transferable. So it's either this or the Costco Platinum Legend, also 5k. However the Legend would also have 8% sales tax, no delivery, and less warranty than I would get with Marquis. The spa is being sold by a private owner and not a shop.

I would really think hard on this....I normally am not one to purchase demo or slightly used items for the simple fact slightly used can mean many things. What if in the time it was being used it was being abused...chemical levels not what they should be....have wear and tear on the components and this you really have no way of knowing.

How much is the Marquis new? Is the difference in price enough to make you not just buy a new Marquis? Which of the two do you like the best...which seems like a better deal to "you"? Me personally I would go new before I would go used....but thats just me. Good luck either way and I hope you get what you want in your tub! :)

Once its setup post some pics! :)

Yes I would normally side with you on this. However, having 2.5 to 3 years remaining on the warranty gives me a bit more confidence. In addition I have a local dealer for service and repair. I will ponder a while longer.

I almost laughed when I came on the board and seen "yet another" costco post....you sure are going to make some people mad with this new post! :o

Yeah, whatever you do just make sure you protect yourself and make sure everything is in writing if you go with the second hand tub.

That spa cost between 7500 and 8500 new and is a very nice tub, one of Marquis top dogs. I think 5000 is a bit high as they depreiciate so fast and 4000-4500 is a bit better. Marquis has a proven track record for longevity and solid performance. And a 100% transferable warranty. If there is water in it so you can see it's operation I would be more comfortable. Or get it in writing regarding it's operation. When we sell a used or re-furbed tub we have them set up in my garage full and running during advertising. They have never sat for more than a week or two before being sold. And it gives me a chance to try out different models. :D

It is set up and running in its original location. Does not appear to be in the least bit suspicious. I'm going to wet test this thing this weekend along with some others. My wife still likes the Costco tub with all the jets and gadgets. She claims that if we don't like it we can just take it back. I'll quote another from this website, "this is not a toaster". And by we I'm sure she really meant me and all of my friends that I can count on one finger. I am also going to stop by the local Marquis dealer and feel them out, never know they may have an 06 floor model they will part with for 5.5k.

Anyone know if the Marquis comes with a CGFI? I know the Costco one does not and they seem expensive for the 60amp version.

Are they going to let you wet test it? I think you are on the right track checking out the dealer first. If you do decide to go with the used tub I would try to talk them down a little bit, maybe lower it 500 bucks, tell them the dealer is offering you a good deal on a floor model or something. Good Luck

I persoanly feel that -between these two tubs- the Marquis is the way to go.

$5K delivered with everything, vs %k + 8% + delivery will put you over 6K for a Cosco tub. At that price point, I, myself would then start to make the jump to some of the lower priced, higher end tubs in the 7K area.

Both tubs include cover, lifter, and stairs? What about an 03 unit?

See if you can swing a lower price on the Marquis and maybe some extra filters or chems as well -never hurts to ask.

But I think you're getting more tub at a higher quality with the Marquis. Wet test it, get EVERYTHING in writing and enjoy.

What do you think a 2 year old Legend would be worth?

I'm sure they will give me all the extra stuff they have for it, this is an owner and not a refurb group. The wet test will tell all. And if it's to deep for the wife, I'll just get her a water pillow to sit on. After all, it's all about me, right?

See if they will also give you the sub panel box (and wirining?) too.

Exactly what I was thinking, more saved dollars!

One thing I forgot to bring up...if you get the "executive" membership you get 2% back on purchases....if you do a lot of shopping there its worth it.

I max that out every year without the purchase of a spa, just color me a compulsive spender.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the wet test went great and the spa looks nice. We first went to the Marquis store and wet tested theirs and got prices. The dealer wanted 9k + tax for the usual stuff, $9700 with the tax. I'm sure we could have got them down a little, but spending 9-10k on a hot tub is just not for me as I have to many other toys to support and play with. The used 05 Marquis Reward asking price was 5,500 shipped by the Marquis dealer, we live 100 miles from the tub. We offered 4,500 and after several days they accepted. Half the price of new, I can live with that. I will also get the sub panel and other stuff that goes along with it. The Journey now begins, my God what have I done !

The Journey now begins, my God what have I done !

You have bought a box full of pleasure, and relaxation, and stress-relief, and... :D

Wow, this is all happening to fast. Spa is being delivered tomorrow afternoon and I have not even begun to prepare. I went out and bought 32 pieces of cedar fencing to replace the old fencing that will be taken out to get the spa in, add another 100 to the ticket. And the electrical, OMG. My electrical guy came over today and it appears that we have come to a hold up, F**K. Apparently we do not have any available slots in the main panel. He will be coming up with solutions and getting back to me. The kids and I will be trenching and tunneling all weekend and hope that the electrical will be completed Sunday. If everything falls into place perfectly we should be soaking by mid week. I'll whine at you guys later as the saga continues.

Another thing, I have received at least four spa pamphlets in the mail in the last week and a phone call. The only information we ever filled out was at the Marquis dealer two weeks ago. Would Marquis sell our info to their competitors?

Ok, the foreplay is killing me and I'm ready for the honeymoon. I have been trenching and breaking up concrete since Saturday and really need to feel those jets. Most of the hard work is done now and the electrician will be starting his part this afternoon. If all goes well, and I doubt it will, we should have her filled with water by Friday and soaking by Saturday. Spa God, please save me.