Loss Of Power During Winter

Saff

This is my first year owning a spa. It has been fantastic so far. I haven't had many water problems or any problems so far with the new Sundance. My question is, what do you do if the power goes out for an extended time (days)during extreme winter conditions? If the temps are down in the low teens and you have no clue when the power will come on , what is the course of action here?

Thanks for all the help on this site.

Saff

The power went out here for about a week last year, the outside temperature was just below freezing and the temperature of our spa only got down into the sixties.

If the power outage were longer or the temperature colder, it may have been an issue, but for us, it worked out alright.

Dave

This is my first year owning a spa. It has been fantastic so far. I haven't had many water problems or any problems so far with the new Sundance. My question is, what do you do if the power goes out for an extended time (days)during extreme winter conditions? If the temps are down in the low teens and you have no clue when the power will come on , what is the course of action here?

Saff

How many times has the power gone out in your area and for how long?

Saff

Well last year during winter,we had two really bad storms. the first time it was out 3 days , the second 6 days. Some neighboring counties were out for more than 2 weeks.

Saff

Well last year during winter,we had two really bad storms. the first time it was out 3 days , the second 6 days. Some neighboring counties were out for more than 2 weeks.

OK and what was the temp during these power outages? Here in Northern Minnesota we have so few power outages during the winter that it is really never a concern. If there is a power outage it is in the spring or fall because of an ice storm and ice storms happen when it is in the 30's and 40's. A tub can last for days in those temps. If a power outage happens when it is in the 10's and 20's or even colder drain the tub and heat and worry about your life/house/family. The high today is 5.

I have used a generator and a small space heater or trouble light to keep a tubs equipment area safe for over a week. Keep the cover on and the body of water will keep the lines safe. But the temp never got lower than about 25 during that week. If you live in an area where 25 is cold you will be fine for a few days. But if it's going longer and stays below 25-30 then a drain would be called for and removing all the water from the lines with a shop vac will save the tub.

It's not the insulated vessel that you should worry about. It's the non insulated equipment area. Water in small pipes and water lines can freeze and break when the water in the vessel is still in the 90's according to the temp sensor.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had nor do I expect to need to use it, but I bought a little 2 stroke water pump to quick drain the my tub if the need ever arises. It'll pump 2000 gal/hour and you don't have to worry about water temp as it will pump hot water without ruining the seals.

• 7 years later...

I discovered this thread bc something similar has just happened to me and I went searching for answers online. The GFCI cord broke and it's going to take almost two weeks to get a replacement. Temps here in Vermont will range from single digits to high 20's over that time period. The hot tub actually sits in an enclosed shed-type structure (non-heated though) and the cover is on. Should I worry about the water freezing or other various parts freezing? Can I periodically stir the water or add a few gallons of hot water to keep it thawed until the replacement part gets here? Any suggestions and advice is greatly appreciated! 

Normally I would tell you to start your own thread, but this will be a one post answer.

You can put a small space heater or 100w incandescent light in the equipment area, which will help for a few days.

In your case, you can put a heater in the shed. Or put a normal plug on the cord and buy a gfci for the outlet in the wall, available now at any hardware store.