Magnesium (Epsom Salts) In Hot Tub

studmaster

UPDATE: I have been using Magnesium Chloride (actually magnesium hexachloride flakes, my limited understanding of chemistry suggests this is effectively the same thing once dissolved) for 10 months in my new spa now and we are extremely pleased with the results. I put in 750g in a 750 litre hot tub. This is nowhere near the concentration you would use in a hot bath (eg 300g in a 60 litre bath) however it has made the water feel very soft and we get out of the spa with the skin feeling great. FYI I also use hydrogen peroxide at >100ppm to sanitise with MPS every week or two.

My wife and I really like the magnesium. We have noticed some grey "scum" as a result, mentioned in a post above, which is a few grey bubbles that hang around a bit longer than usual, but these dissolve back into the water 30-60 secs after the blower is turned off, there is no scum on the water line. 

I have been told by a hot tub retailer that recommends Mg in his tubs that it should not harm the hot tub, but it will damage the pump seals over time and these will need replacing. 

• 1 year later...

well I purchased some magnesium to put into my hot tub and from what I am seeing in responses from some pretty knowledgeable people in above responses .....it is a no go on using it in hot tub, pumps and heaters are expensive and so is the labor for repairs so that isn't an option .

Now that I have these flakes...not going to use in regular tub either as the reason for getting them was for a handicapped person and the regular tub is not a option.

So can these flakes be used for plants? Like Epison salt can...might as well get some good use out of them.

would be interested in your responses...thanks; Fred