New Nature2 Chucking Out Grey Bits!

I bought a nature2 cartridge to use with diclor in my new spa, and within 12 hours there are lots of silver/ grey bits coming out of it. is that normal or was it broken ?

I have binned it, and am now going to try the spa frog without the bromine cartridge, but I still have all these bits floating around the spa.. now i really need a spa vacuum!

It was broken. you need to get the bits cleaned out. Natue 2 uses ceramic beads that contain silver nitrate. Spafrog uses a substrate that contains silver chloride, which is not very soluable at all so it is not going to put very much silver in the water and what little does go in will react with the bromine to form even more insoluable silver bromide (and they used to link zinc but zinc doesn't do much of anything so they either took it out or don't bother to list it anymore.) Nature 2 is meant to be used with MPS, not dichlor. If you use it with dichlor then you don't need the N2 since it does not allow for lower chlorine levels.

Spafrog is dubious at best. bromine by itself does just fine. I would suggest trying three step bromine as outline in the hot tub water chemistry section of the forum.

Instead of wasting your money on N2, frog, aquafinesse (what are you going to try next?) why don't you get yourself a spa want, a good test kit, and either do three step bromine or bleach/dichlor. It really doesn't get any easier or better.

thank you for the reply.. I have had a tub before this one, and i have problems with cloudy water, with bromine and problems with too high/ low bromine, plus i have excema, so that's the reason I wanted to try some extras to make sure i have sparkling and non irritating water.

I didn't like bromine,( the smell, and the water seemed harsher) so I'm sticking with dichlor, and I won't be perchasing any more aquafinesse when that's gone, as it is way to expensive, and I still have excema. So I need either a nature 2 or a frog mineral, as i don't have ozone, but i'm put off the nature 2 after this incident.I don't mean to sound like i'm going to try everytthing... eco one, baqua, enzymes ect!, I'm just looking for a bit of back up to the dichlor.

I have bad eczema, and I use chlorine with absolutely no problems. I just put it in when I get out and hit the clean up cycle button. My tub has an ozone system as well, but I don't think it does anything, as it's a 10 year old UV style, which means it's probably not putting anything out. I used to use bromine, and I'd never go back after using the Dry-Chlor II.

• 2 weeks later...

ok.. do you know what I can do to deal with the overstabilation? And how long does it take to get overstabilised?

I'm new here but just went thru getting bleach/dichlor going. Visit the spa chemistry section of this forum and read the pinned post on Nitro's Spa Maintenance, and the one Bleach/Dichlor. As per my experience, it only took about a week to build up stabilizer from dichlor, then I switched to bleach only. The spa chemistry sub-forum has a wealth of amazing info on all of this.

Bleach has a pH of close to 13 - so watch that pH if you do use bleach.

B)