Spas Without Loungers....ideas?

We are an extremely tall family. Only one of 5 is under 6' and we've decided that loungers are a waste of space. Now we are in the phase of focusing on a spa with no lounger. A few details of our specifics follows. Would love any input others may have.

1) live at 8000' in the Rockies, Colorado. Temps range single digits to 50s during winter months.

2) need to comfortably fit 6 tall adults

3) no lounger

4) moderate use, 3 days per week year round.

5) will be installed on a deck that is constructed to accept 7000lbs 12'x10'.

6) entertainment system not required. In fact less desired, especially tv as there is no signal to receive in our area.

7) mechanically and electrically inclined family.

8) price range not a major concern. However durability is.

Suggestions? Btw can spas be ordered without entertainment systems?

SInce you are in CO like me, you should take a look at Wind River Spas, my neighbor had one, it was the most comfortable spa I've ever been in, with tons of features, and stellar jet placement. I'm actually going to get one today. They have all different layouts and jet counts. Check them out, I think it's worth it.

http://windriverspas.com/tubs/steamboat.html

http://windriverspas.com/tubs/telluride.html

We are an extremely tall family. Only one of 5 is under 6' and we've decided that loungers are a waste of space. Now we are in the phase of focusing on a spa with no lounger. A few details of our specifics follows. Would love any input others may have.

1) live at 8000' in the Rockies, Colorado. Temps range single digits to 50s during winter months.

3) no lounger

6) entertainment system not required. In fact less desired, especially tv as there is no signal to receive in our area.

I think you want a large, non lounge spa that is open and has a good size footwell. I'd suggest:

Hot Spring Grandee - http://www.hotspring...ighlife/grandee

Caldera Niagara -http://www.calderasp...ub_niagara.html

While skipping the lounge is typically wisest for space reasons and your heights, Caldera does make a stretched spa that has a long lounge and is large enough so the lounge doesn't take up 1/3 of the space as is often the case - http://www.calderasp..._cantabria.html

Take a look at the overhead views to get an idea of what each looks like and visit your local dealers (each web site has a dealer locator) to see the spas in person and by all means wet test them.

They have 2 or 3 different models without a lounger. My neighbors have a Tornado model, and absolutely love it. The whirlpool seat is great, and I haven't seen it on any other spa. I got mine free, but I know you can get a refurbished one from the factory for $2495-$3495. If you have any questions, try emailing or calling Rick Hallett, the owner, he answers within a day or two, and is really nice. The service is great, and replacement parts are super cheap as well. Replacement pillows are $26 versus what HotSprings charges $100+. They are a great company, and you can have the jets in your spa placed wherever you want. They don't offer an entertainment system, so you're good there. Plus, the way they build them makes them easier to repair down the road. Check out their site http://windriverspas.com/index.html

What about just going with a wooden hot tub? We went smaller then we wanted to make sure we even wanted a hot tub. We love our "lounge-less" tub... but we plan replacing in a few years with a no frills cedar tub that is 4' or 5' deep. We are also all tall ( & wide!) but we prefer the deeper hot water over a few more jets.

Do some research... give the idea a chance. I'm looking forward to replacing ours in a few more years.

Since you stated cost is not as important as durability, I would look to Hot Springs, Sundance or the like and get one of their larger tubs less the lounger. In your case, I would put a large factor on the dealer that is not only selling top of the line tubs, but one that is close by in the event should you need srevice.

I like the hydrotherapy of Sundance spas. I have a Sundance Optima. Given your size and number of people, you might consider the Sundance Aspen (7-8 person capacity). You probably know already, but in case you don't, the people capacity listed by the manufacturer is a bit misleading. The Aspen is a large hot tub, but 8 adults in that tub would have everyone crammed in like sardines. 6 people at a time would be doable but you're still going to run into a little bump and grind. Be sure to wet test and thoroughly check out the dealer for customer satisfaction, service reliability and length in the business.

Good luck

gman

I would take a look at Arctic Spas. They sell several without any loungers. The Tundra or the Summit would be two I would look at. With your families heigth, I think you would really like the Tundra. It has some nice deep wide seats for taller people. You would have six jetting choices to chose from, and the entertainment extras are all options. You dont have to get them if you dont want to. Do your research on your local dealers. I know the Arctic Spa dealers in Colorado, and they are very good. Good luck in your search for the perfect spa.

I am looking to purchase a Dimension One Nautilis at our local dealer. It would be delivered, set up, come with easy close cover and 6 months chemicals. It has the lifetime white liner. The "GREAT" price I was quoted was $7495. It is brand new and still shrink wrapped. We are going to wet test today or tomorrow. It has no lounger like the original poster asked about. Is this price really that good? Is the spa as "bullitproof" as the salesmen are saying? I would have started a new topic, but I guess when your new they don't let you.

Dimension 1, Sundance, Hot Spring are great brands. D1 has superb customer service.

Personally I would stay away from Artic. Too many people with issues. They even pushed to cover up a situation with customer complaint on this forum. It says a lot when they try to cover up something opposed to publically resolving an issue. A whole thread was deleted because of Arctic.

Dimension 1, Sundance, Hot Spring are great brands. D1 has superb customer service. Personally I would stay away from Artic. Too many people with issues. They even pushed to cover up a situation with customer complaint on this forum. It says a lot when they try to cover up something opposed to publically resolving an issue. A whole thread was deleted because of Arctic.

IMO Arctic is right in line with the other brands that you mentioned. The incident you bring up was not a manufacturing issue, but rather a bad dealer issue. That could be said for any brand out there. And it wasnt Arctic that removed the thread. It was the forum admins that removed the thread. There was a Hot Spring thead removed on the same day at the same time by the admins as well. That was also in regards to a dealer issue, and not the manufacturer. IMO, buying from a good dealer is as important if not more important than the brand of spa that you purchase. All spas mentioned in this thread are all great top of the line spas imo.

I am looking to purchase a Dimension One Nautilis at our local dealer. It would be delivered, set up, come with easy close cover and 6 months chemicals. It has the lifetime white liner. The "GREAT" price I was quoted was $7495. It is brand new and still shrink wrapped. We are going to wet test today or tomorrow. It has no lounger like the original poster asked about. Is this price really that good? Is the spa as "bullitproof" as the salesmen are saying? I would have started a new topic, but I guess when your new they don't let you.

After doing much research over a long period of time I came very close to buying a D1 Nautilus (we ended up with a smaller, cheaper D1). I think that it is a great tub. Prices vary around the country and between dealers but your price is better than what I could get as I recall and I do not believe that I found anyone on the web getting a better price. If you have a good dealer, I say go for it.

Seems about right. They range from 7300 to 8500 depending on the area/dealer. Very solid, energy effecient and reliable. Backed by one of the best manufacturers in the business. And IMO the best tub on the market today. You can pay less for a tub, but you WILL get less.

Caldera Niagra, opinions? Special deal for around $10k available.....or is it?

I try not to comment on pricing typically so I'll let others but I know one question some may want to ask is does that price include anything with the spa? Lifter? Ozone? Steps? Also, before you say yeah or nay, don't hesitiate to try to counter further. All they can say is "no, thats our best deal".

I have an Arctic Yukon, which has a large foot well and no lounger -- and I have had excellent dealer support as well as factory support.

The lounger - this is our second electric tub, our third overall. We felt we didn't need the lounger, and if I really want to stretch out when there are only two of us, I can do so across the seats. Our last one had a lounger, but it reduced the capacity. We prefer the foot well of the Arctic Yukon. Their Arctic Cub is essentially the same tub as the Yukon with a lounger.

It is listed as a 7-seater, although we generally only have TWO in there, and rarely more than four.

YES spas can be ordered without entertainment systems.

In fact, some dealers will actually steer you away from one because of the warranty service they have to provide. We went to a tent show, and even there, they advised "you don't REALLY need the stereo, but it's there."

Our dealer asked, we declined because we have a pair of outdoor , waterproof speakers mounted on fence posts (Cambridge Soundworks) running off of an older 2-channel stereo in the house. They're wired. The wires are hidden well.

We like our arrangement because there are no outdoor electronics. Nothing to get water into. And if the stereo amp goes someday, I'll just meander down to a used electronics store and get another one. Considering my living room stereo is 39 years old , and the hot tub amp is around 15 years old, and they're solid state, things like that will last forever.

Also hooked up to that stereo is an iPad -- enabling us to listen to radio from other places -- not just local stuff, and also to play custom music. So, yeah, our favorite / favourite stations include Highland Radio from Donegal, Ireland, BBC radio 2, CBC radio 1, BBC Radio Berkshire, and Arkansas State University radio. Much better than standard U.S. radio -- although the Boston/NH Seacoast area WXRV is pretty cool, too... a laptop computer with a wi-fi connection will perform the same function.

Wooden tubs? They can leak. Aesthetically , they do rock! But, they're harder to keep clean and maintain. We had a "snorkel unit" -- that heated the tub with a wood-fired immersed, marine grade aluminum stove. At first it was a novel thing, but it took too much work for us to heat it up. You could buy one with a heater, jets, etc. but once we went "fiberglass" (to an electric spa) we never looked back. Our age also played into it (our own laziness as we got older). Snorkel makes a great product -- and has great dealer support, too, but it is what it is.

Lifter? Ozone? etc.? If you buy a tub, you usually will get a package price. Ours was ozone, onzen, blower, two motors and all the jets, and an extremely heavy-duty cover with a lifter. When you get down to "game time", with all of those things rolled in, you should be able to get a decent deal.

My dealer, last week, related to a customer, "I never heard someone buy a tub and complain about having too many jets, or that they bought one that was too big"....

3) no lounger

I'd look at Caldera, D1, Hot Springs, jacuzzi and Sundance. They'll all have multiple well made, well insualted, lounge-less spa options.

So, I know you've heard my opinion on Wind River, but I thought that after today, I'd add more to what I said. Today, I found the leak on my tub, it's around the filter basket top. I went in to their showroom off Galapago, and they take me out back, and show me one of the tubs they're refurbishing, and show me exactly how to get the ring around the filter basket off, and what I need to do, what silicone I need to use. Never once did they say "You need to call our service department and have them come take a look." which is exactly what the HotSprings dealer said, and they said that about replacing the MotoMassage jet, not a leak repair. I also mentioned that I was missing a board off my cabinet, so what do they do? They went and found me a replacement piece, "How much?" I asked, I was shocked when they said I can have it. The HotSprings dealer nickel and dimed me for everything, not to mention they had insane mark ups on their parts. The showroom was much more relaxed and more comfortable than IHT (HotSprings Dealer), they even had two golden retrievers roaming around (I'm a sucker for dogs, we have three, Haha). HotSprings does make a terrific tub, don't get me wrong, but the dealer here isn't too personable. I think that they're at least worth looking at. Just my 2 cents.

HJAMES I love that they did that for you. I'm very comfortable with plumbing and electrical work myself. As a kid I worked for a swimming pool construction company and learned a lot. This was before portable spas were reliable a all. I will visit wind river before I pull the trigger on anything. Thanks for your info.