Thermospas Bankruptcy?

Dr. Spa

Doesn't really mean anything. It will make it harder for them to get credit,parts and all, but prob won't go away. Chemtura(Bioguard) did it, GM did it, countless airlines did it. If it goes according to most buisness Chapter 11 there come out free and clear of bills and have money to continue.

Dr. Spa, I just wanted to update you on a couple of service calls over the past couple of work days since the Thermospas BK filing. I serviced two Thermospas hot tubs with the customer paying me. One tub was under warranty and the other was not. The customer with the warranty tub was told by Thermospas that they "might" be able to get a servicer out by June or July. Both tubs had board problems. Thermospas sent in a board for the warranty call. It looked like a rebuilt board and did not work. The non-warranty customer ordered and paid for a board, but received a badly burnt board in the package. The heater relays were already burnt up. She is not happy.

This BK may get interesting.

John

That's what the customer claims Thermospas told her and the reason she contracted with me. I'm not surprised because I know all of the competent, independent servicers in eastern Mass and in RI, and none of them are working for Thermospas. The last I heard, Thermospas was sending someone out occasionally from Connecticut to service this area. I'm more surprised that Thermospas took my out-of-warranty customers credit card info and shipped an obviously burnt up board!!

John

My customer is already on top of that. I just cannot fathom why Thermo would send out an obviously problematic board to a customer paying by credit card. I mean, if they were intent on scamming a customer, it is rather foolish to do that to a customer with an easy recourse. I'd be speculating, but maybe it is incompetence. Maybe their better employees have seen the writing on the wall and have already jumped ship.

John

Do you remember, there was a discount clothing chain called Syms. Si Syms and his wife Marci appeared in many of their ads, and in a booming voice, Mr. Syms would say

"At Syms, an educated consumer is our best customer."

With the rise of the Internet, people investigate things. They're not rushed into them. They do their due diligence. There are more opportunities to educate oneself, and before spending anywhere from nine to fifteen grand, people do just that.

All I know is that I checked them out. I chose to forget when the salesman said "why would you buy anything Canadian?" when I mentioned he was in a competitive deal with two other brands. One was Arctic, which we eventually bought, and the other Jacuzzi, which we would have had no problem buying. I have OUTSTANDING dealer support on the Arctic, and there's no question the same situation would have existed had I purchased the Jacuzzi spa.

I fended off the high pressure approach -- "if you're what we decide on, and I say 'I've got a check for the amount you presented, come on over' you WILL be over, right?" So -- I think he knew he was sunk.

When we saw the prices -- Thermo-Spas was out of consideration. Now, my Arctic is nearly three years old. We made the right choice. I only compared three brands and they came out 1A, 1B, and 3. I cannot compare other brands but I will say that for the money they were asking for a ThermoSpa, it was easy to turn in another direction.

• 3 months later...

http://articles.courant.com/2012-05-31/business/hc-thermaspas-20120531_1_bankruptcy-protection-thermospas-unsecured-creditors

The latest info with regards to the Thermospas BK. 18 million in liabilities and Jacuzzi will set up a $300,000 slush fund to reimburse some folks. What a laugh. This industry is really getting bad.

John