Will The New Wear Off?

willy

Howdy All!

Willy here, a brand new member who has been lurking in the background for 2 years, learning, laughing and getting PO'ed at the way one or two members talk to the rest of you. Mostly I have learned that no one spa is right for all of us and the best way to determine what is right for my wife and I is to hit the dealerships with lots questions, listen to the answers and tub test, tub test, tub test!

I have not purchased a spa yet, two things hold me back, money (this will be resolved in about 6 months) and the worry that my wife and I may lose interest in a spa and stop using it. I know from reading this board that I am about to make (for me) a major purchase of 6-8K dollars, and that used spas have very little value. Have any of the rest of you people had the same worry? I have a friend with a 15 year old SP tub who NEVER uses it. I would like to hear from some of you long time owners about how often you use your spa and if you feel it is worth the money you spent. Thanks, willy

PS...be nice to me, today is my b'day!

Howdy All!

Willy here, a brand new member who has been lurking in the background for 2 years, learning, laughing and getting PO'ed at the way one or two members talk to the rest of you. Mostly I have learned that no one spa is right for all of us and the best way to determine what is right for my wife and I is to hit the dealerships with lots questions, listen to the answers and tub test, tub test, tub test!

I have not purchased a spa yet, two things hold me back, money (this will be resolved in about 6 months) and the worry that my wife and I may lose interest in a spa and stop using it. I know from reading this board that I am about to make (for me) a major purchase of 6-8K dollars, and that used spas have very little value. Have any of the rest of you people had the same worry? I have a friend with a 15 year old SP tub who NEVER uses it. I would like to hear from some of you long time owners about how often you use your spa and if you feel it is worth the money you spent. Thanks, willy

PS...be nice to me, today is my b'day!

happy Birthday Wille.

I hear you about wondering if you will realy use it. Like you I always wondered if i would really use a hot tub enough to justify the $$$. I was lucky....sort of....A friend gave me his beat up Nordic for free and for the cost of electrical and some patio blocks I was able to find out first hand if I liked it. I did. I loved it. Unfortunaly the old nordic was an energy hog and wasn't worht the monthly electric bills. I decided to buy a new tub and that got me into it. (I now have an old Nordic out behind one of my sheds).

Maybe your frined who ahs the old SP tub might let it go to you? There is always the used route if you are hesitent, but that's a crap shoot.

If not, how does your wife feel about it all (always an important question). Are you the type that really enjoys the spas when you go on vacation? Are you the type that when you;re feeling run down think " Anice hot soak in the bath tub would be nice"? What are your expectations for the tub?

I know from reading this board that I am about to make (for me) a major purchase of 6-8K dollars, and that used spas have very little value.

I'd like to see you get a new spa because most find they love it after purchase but there are some that just don't use it like they expected so I hear ya. Many poeple get a used spa, find they love the experieince and then a year or two later upgrade. If you really think this might be the case take advantage of the used spa prices being low as you indicated but know a couple things going in:

1) The electrical costs will not be much different a used spa versus what you'd need to run for a new one (assuming both 220v, 50A). You actually may find that it costs as much as the used spa itself. If you go this route first look at a couple new spas and find out there electrical requirements. Then run electrical that would service a new spa also if you upgrade a year from now. you do not wan to get a used spa, pay to get the electrical run and then get a new spa a year later and fidn your electrical setup is insufficient.

2) You want to buy a used spa that you've seen operational. A LOT of people look to unload their spa when its older and has issues so you may here the old "you can't test it because I drained/stored it but it was working fine before I drained it". Beware.

Well think about your needs. Why do you want the tub? For aches and pains? Just to relax? For entertaining?

I work in construction. I'm outside in the elements all day 5 days a week.

I come home and my back is killing me and I'm frozen to the bone.

After being in my Costco P2 for about 30-45 minutes I feel like a new man.

My whole body feels better and I'm warm all night. The chill is gone.

I used to come home and depend on a hot shower to warm me up but is just doesn't cut it. 30 minutes later I'm cold again. Not any more with the tub.

I use my tub a lot. At least one time per day after work. When I wake up sore I'll hit the tub in the morning as well. Three time a day is my max and I rarely do that.

So you see for me the tub is a life saver and I've come to depend on it. Also I find the tub to be very relaxing so a person who has a stressful job would benefit also.

Just think about why you want a tub and are those reasons important enough to you to warrant the cost.

Here's a problem that I can see happening to a lot of folks. They think they want a spa, but are hesitent on spending the $$$, so they compromise and buy a low end POS, thinking, they'll use that and if they like it, THEN they will upgrade.

However,

The POS spa offers no decent jets, or therapy. It breaks down and there's no dealer support, they have water issues, high electric bills and finally give up and toss it out or sell it. They then say "Wow! we were lucky, thank goodness we didn't spend alot of money on a spa! What a pain!"

I bet this happens more often than not.

Willy here, a brand new member who has been lurking in the background for 2 years...

I... worry that my wife and I may lose interest in a spa and stop using it... I would like to hear from some of you long time owners about how often you use your spa and if you feel it is worth the money you spent. Thanks, willy

Welcome, Willy, and happy birthday.

My wife and I bought a used spa from a dealer for $2K CAD. It was a bottom-end model from a good brand (not Arctic, didn't work here back then). In retrospect it was a POS, but we enjoyed it and used it two or three times a week (sometimes more) for about 8 years. Well worth the money. Left it behind when we moved, really missed it, hope to get another one soon.

Happy spa shopping

My wife and I bought a used spa from a dealer for $2K CAD. It was a bottom-end model from a good brand (not Arctic, didn't work here back then). In retrospect it was a POS, but we enjoyed it and used it two or three times a week (sometimes more) for about 8 years. Well worth the money. Left it behind when we moved, really missed it, hope to get another one soon.

Happy spa shopping

All,

Thanks for the responses. They tell me only I can decide if a spa is right for us. If any of you live in the Albuquerque area I would like to hear of your buying experiance with local dealers. I will post from time to time with updates on our journey from "Looking" to "Got one". Thanks, willy

Happy spa shopping

Tom, are you saying you don't own an Artic spa now? That sounds criminal. Don't they offer huge employee discounts?

Tom, are you saying you don't own an Artic spa now? That sounds criminal. Don't they offer huge employee discounts?

LOL. No, I don't, yet. No, it isn't. Yes, they do.

LOL. No, I don't, yet. No, it isn't. Yes, they do.

I also understand your concern Willy nd happy birthdy! I purchased my first (used tub) about 15 years ago and we used it about 3-4 days a week pretty constant for about 3-4 years and had some great partys and good times with close friends. After that the use did drop off and now after going through 3 used tubs and playing around and buying one new tub, we use our tub maybe 1-2 times a week but the cost of upkeep and electricity is still worth the relaxation, the partys are still a ball and we still have some good long intimate conversations with some close friends and truely look forward to every soak alone or with company. In my mind the investment is worth it. You could go out to a bar or club and spend 50-100 bucks 2-3 times a month or you could cut that in half and have some friends over for a soak once a week and it still would be cheaper.

I also understand your concern Willy nd happy birthdy! I purchased my first (used tub) about 15 years ago and we used it about 3-4 days a week pretty constant for about 3-4 years and had some great partys and good times with close friends. After that the use did drop off and now after going through 3 used tubs and playing around and buying one new tub, we use our tub maybe 1-2 times a week but the cost of upkeep and electricity is still worth the relaxation, the partys are still a ball and we still have some good long intimate conversations with some close friends and truely look forward to every soak alone or with company. In my mind the investment is worth it. You could go out to a bar or club and spend 50-100 bucks 2-3 times a month or you could cut that in half and have some friends over for a soak once a week and it still would be cheaper.

This also was one of my main concerns when I decided to buy a spa. I always enjoy them when I am traveling and have the opportunity to use one but knew it would be differant when I actually had one at my beckon call 24/7. I am sure the newness will wear off over time but it will still be nice to know its there if and when I decide to use it. One thing I know is my friends like it and they dont get to take advantage of it like I do...so sometimes the newness is rekindled by their desire to come over and use it.

I think this might have had something to do with buying my spa from Costco.

1. there is a return policy

2. cheaper, not as costly if in fact I didnt use it the way it needs to be

I wouldnt return it just because it had lost its newness, but I like having that guarantee if for some reason the spa cost me way to much money to operate or I ended up getting a lemon. There was no dealer willing to make that same promise...and I did ask them. I figured it was cheaper to start out and in the future if and when I decide to upgrade I might just go look at the differant brands available AGAIN. There are some really nice spa out there form other manufactures. Its always good to have choices.

Good luck either way you go!! Happy Belated Birthday!!

When I get home from work almost every weekday, after my 1 1/2 hour commute(!), I take a quick shower and head out to the tub for some soaking peace and quiet....ahhhhhhh. There is no doubt in my mind that the tub and the gym are two important factors in helping me to maintain my sanity :blink: The only time I don't hit the tub is when it's windy outdoors because then it royally sucks when I have to get out, replace the cover and scamper into the house. I wanted a hot tub for years and years until I finally decided to go ahead, do the research and get one. It IS one of the best toy investments I've ever made. Who better to spend my hard earned money on than me?!?

When I get home from work almost every weekday, after my 1 1/2 hour commute(!), I take a quick shower and head out to the tub for some soaking peace and quiet....ahhhhhhh. There is no doubt in my mind that the tub and the gym are two important factors in helping me to maintain my sanity :blink: The only time I don't hit the tub is when it's windy outdoors because then it royally sucks when I have to get out, replace the cover and scamper into the house. I wanted a hot tub for years and years until I finally decided to go ahead, do the research and get one. It IS one of the best toy investments I've ever made. Who better to spend my hard earned money on than me?!?

All,

Lot's of good advise here, nice to see I was not the only one worried about "the new wearing off". I enjoy a dip in the hot tub when we travel and when visiting a friend out of state. It's time to start testing the waters and find noe that fits both of us. Thanks to all who responded and I will report back on the buying experiance. willy

Very well put :D

Hey Bare try this get out and go inside and dress while your tub sits and waits for you to come back out.

Sorry just trying to get the stupid costco threads down lower instead of on the top like they always are.

Hey Bare try this get out and go inside and dress while your tub sits and waits for you to come back out.

Sorry just trying to get the stupid costco threads down lower instead of on the top like they always are.

Maybe you should try and post something a little more worthy of pushing any post to the bottom, maybe even stop posting in the costco thread yourself

I hate to rain on your post but #2 is too general.

Cheaper to purchase? Yes.

Cheaper to operate? Just the opposite.

No rain here...clear skies! I would rather pay 5k for a tub that in my opinion has all the features as the other tubs that go for 10k. If I was going to "not" use it I would rather have spent 5k than 10k. A 5k impulse buy is cheaper than a 10k impulse buy!!!

My tub hasnt done any damage to my electric bill since I have had it. Like I read in other post if you dont have a meter you have no idea how much power you are using but in my case I am going by money amount. My bill last month from previous month was less than 40 dollars. Also I live in Florida and we dont have the climate others may be purchasing or operating this tub in so I have no idea. I can only pass on my experience.

(edit) Also wanted to state that during that first month of operating I also was running my heat...we had a cold snap come through that month so all that isnt just for the tub use.

I own one and your not accurate, no where have I paid over 50 dollars yet over a year of nightly use. If the Costco P.E.II or the Legend Elite is the same as your Clearwater spa, they use the same components and insulation. Are you saying Clearwater spa's are not good at useing energy? :lol:

My tub hasnt done any damage to my electric bill since I have had it.

Like I read in other post if you dont have a meter you have no idea how much power you are using but in my case I am going by money amount.

You say your tub hasn't damaged your bill.

BUT, someone claiming a high bill has no credence since they didn't arrive conclude that with use of a meter.

I can give you the benefit of the doubt that you can tell from your bill that it hasn't been a drain on you but why can't the person who is seeing a difference make their point without you saying "doesn't count, you didn't meter it".

You say your tub hasn't damaged your bill.

BUT, someone claiming a high bill has no credence since they didn't arrive conclude that with use of a meter.

I can give you the benefit of the doubt that you can tell from your bill that it hasn't been a drain on you but why can't the person who is seeing a difference make their point without you saying "doesn't count, you didn't meter it".

Never said anything about someones high bill not counting...I was once again saying I don't know the kw usage since I myself did not meter my tub and that I was going by money amounts. I could give a **** less how much kw usage is if affordable...which it was according to my bill.

I believe it was in this thread someone stated you cant really say how much your tub is costing unless you know how much kw you are using. http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2629

I was merely replying to the previous post that you differed on "cheaper to operate." and if you really wanted to know you would HAVE to meter it to get an accurate amount.

Never said anything about someones high bill not counting...I was once again saying I don't know the kw usage since I myself did not meter my tub and that I was going by money amounts. I could give a **** less how much kw usage is if affordable...which it was according to my bill.

I believe it was in this thread someone stated you cant really say how much your tub is costing unless you know how much kw you are using. http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2629

I was merely replying to the previous post that you differed on "cheaper to operate." and if you really wanted to know you would HAVE to meter it to get an accurate amount.

(edit)See this post that just started http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3894