Wtf? Only 104 Limit? Help!

garth

I just spent 6500.00 for a warm tub! I just got a hot spring spa prodigy and I cant get it past 104. I have had one in the past that let me go to 106. Can anyone tell me how to do this....I already had a tub in my house that could get "warm!" Thanks so much! first day and I am already mad! G

Tubs are limited to an upper limit of 104 degrees for safety reasons. There are ways to circumvent this in some tubs but it is at your own risk. Prolonged exposure to high temperatures can induce hyperthermia and it is nothing to ignore. High water temperatures are particularly dangerous to children (and it can cause brain damage or even kill thiem), pregnant women, and people taking many common medications (or drinking alcohol). It can also be dangerous for people with many common medical conditions such as high blood pressure or heart conditions.

104 degrees is by no stretch of the imagination a 'warm tub', it is the upper limit and would be considered hot!

Many people question why their spa will only heat to 104 ºF. Throughout history public bathing was done at higher temperatures. Even today, in Japan, many public bath houses have water up to 115 ºF. In the United States and Canada (as well as most other parts of the world), spas are regulated to obtain a maximum temperature of 104 ºF. Prior to 1980 this was not the case, however on Dec 31, 1979, the Consumer Products Safety Commission (CSPC) released an advisory which warned of heat strokes caused by 106 °F water. This advisory recommended 104°F as the maximum temperature for a spa.

Underwriters Laboratory (UL) adopted this advisory and lists it in their controlling document for home spas. UL has advised that any spa manufacturer that produces a control (or modifies a standard control) to exceed 104 °F is in violation of their UL listing and can have their listing pulled by UL.

If a spa is not UL listed, most municipalities will not allow it to be legally installed.

• 2 weeks later...

If you must have it hotter, close your air dials, put the jet pump on high speed and close your lid.

The heat of the pump alone will kick the temp up, but beware, if the spa does not have a 15 min shutoff programmed into it, you will melt your tub if you forget to turn it off.

By the way, modifying the electronics in any way will turn your warranty into toilet paper.

Keep in mind it does not hurt to test your water with a different thermometer than the one in your tub's electronics.

The display might say 104, it does not mean it actually is 104.

I carry one of these in my toolbox.

meat_thermometer.jpg