Concrete Slab Installation Photos

Chet

This was my project for the last two weekends. The hot tub gets delivered on Sat.

Here is the link to the installation photos of my new slab and sidewalk.

You might notice that my yard slopes down closer to the fence. In the photos of the framing, the only dirt you see in the middle is the acutal yard after the sod was pulled up. However, there are some steps that I don't show in these pictures. For instance, I brought in about a yard of fill dirt to build it up on the low side. I left the footers in there so the slab wouldn't shift. Then, I leveled the fill dirt, packed it down and ran 14 lines of 3/8" rebar. (7 in one direction and 7 in the other).

After I was done prepping the hot tub slab, I framed up the sidewalk next to the house. Eventually, I plan to take out the windows (to our master bedroom) and put in french doors.

Here are the specifications:

• The slab is 100.5 inches square.
  • At it's shortest point it is 4.5 inches thick.
  • At it's deepest point (closer to the fence) it's about 15 inches thick.
  • It took two yards of 2500psi concrete to poor the slab and the sidewalk.
  • Spa electrical box was installed and I ran 1.25" electrical conduit from it to the slab
  • I ran three 4-gauge copper electrical for my two hots and single neutral. The fourth cable, the ground cable, is 6-gauge.
  • I won't remove the framing wood until Wed. or Thurs.
Thoughts?

This was my project for the last two weekends. The hot tub gets delivered on Sat.

You might notice that my yard slopes down closer to the fence. In the photos of the framing, the only dirt you see in the middle is the acutal yard after the sod was pulled up. However, there are some steps that I don't show in these pictures. For instance, I brought in about a yard of fill dirt to build it up on the low side. I left the footers in there so the slab wouldn't shift. Then, I leveled the fill dirt, packed it down and ran 14 lines of 3/8" rebar. (7 in one direction and 7 in the other).

After I was done prepping the hot tub slab, I framed up the sidewalk next to the house. Eventually, I plan to take out the windows (to our master bedroom) and put in french doors.

• Spa electrical box was installed and I ran 1.25" electrical conduit from it to the slab
  • I ran three 4-gauge copper electrical for my two hots and single neutral. The fourth cable, the ground cable, is 6-gauge.
Thoughts?

Nice but........why not bigger and a sidewalk to the house?

Nice but........why not bigger and a sidewalk to the house?

Excellent questions. I made it 100.5 inches square because the hot tub is 92.5 inches square. This leaves me 4 additional inches on each side of the tub. Plus, have you seen the prices of concrete lately?

I didn't make a sidewalk from the house to the tub because I have plans to build a nice big multi-level deck that wraps all the way around the hot tub and I didn't want permanant concrete getting in the way of my pillar digging. :lol: Plus, having only four inches of slab overlap on either side of the tub gives me more room to dig closer to the slab for decking purposes.

After the hot tub gets here, I'm going take some more photos and then use photoshop to draw in what I think I want the deck to do. I spent $7,350 on hot tub and delivery (didn't have to pay tax because my wife has a perscription from the chiropractor) and about $600 on framing wood and concrete. Originally, I was going to buy a $3,500 tub and use the rest for decking. Looks like I'm going to have to wait on the deck. Especially since my wife and I have a 20-month-old boy and we're expecting twin boys in May. The deck may have to wait 18 to 20 years. :P

Seriously though, I'm going to get some blocks to set on the ground to walk on from the house to the hot tub. I certainly don't want to track dirt and grass into it.

One last thing, why and I not seeing the quotes properly? I can see the quote tags, but they are not in quote boxes. Thanks!

By the way, why am I seeing the quote tags instead of quote boxes? :unsure:

I sure don't think you'll have any trouble with that one. Looks plenty beefy.

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts?

Nice job, good luck with your new tub.

I just read your post. I'm in the same situation. What i thought was only going to be less the a 5k project with the spa, I ended up close to 12k now.

Spa off Ebay new was 4k.

Deck was 2k

landscaping was $900

Eletrical I think will run around $500

To put up a fence around the whole yard was 3k

$600 to stain the fence

$200 to stain the deck

$1,000 for new patio furniture for the deck

$400 for fire pit on the deck

$350 for a 360 degree fireplace for the deck

Sidewalk to tjhe deck from house in back yard, $600

and list keeps going, and what am I upto??

LOL , I hope it's all worth it ;)

Excellent questions. I made it 100.5 inches square because the hot tub is 92.5 inches square. This leaves me 4 additional inches on each side of the tub. Plus, have you seen the prices of concrete lately?

I didn't make a sidewalk from the house to the tub because I have plans to build a nice big multi-level deck that wraps all the way around the hot tub and I didn't want permanant concrete getting in the way of my pillar digging. :lol: Plus, having only four inches of slab overlap on either side of the tub gives me more room to dig closer to the slab for decking purposes.

After the hot tub gets here, I'm going take some more photos and then use photoshop to draw in what I think I want the deck to do. I spent $7,350 on hot tub and delivery (didn't have to pay tax because my wife has a perscription from the chiropractor) and about $600 on framing wood and concrete. Originally, I was going to buy a $3,500 tub and use the rest for decking. Looks like I'm going to have to wait on the deck. Especially since my wife and I have a 20-month-old boy and we're expecting twin boys in May. The deck may have to wait 18 to 20 years. :P

Seriously though, I'm going to get some blocks to set on the ground to walk on from the house to the hot tub. I certainly don't want to track dirt and grass into it.

One last thing, why and I not seeing the quotes properly? I can see the quote tags, but they are not in quote boxes. Thanks!

By the way, why am I seeing the quote tags instead of quote boxes? :unsure:

hoqw are you going to add stairs to the sides of the spa with only 4" on concrete material on each side?

• 2 weeks later...

OK. I've updated my photos now that the spa has arrived...

See the new ones HERE!

"how are you going to add stairs to the sides of the spa with only 4" on concrete material on each side?"

You can see in the photos that I built my own stairs for around $30. The stairs do NOT sit flush with the tub. However, these are only temporary until I build the deck that will surround the tub and I won't require these stairs. The deck will have breakaway panels so I can still get to the skirting on the tub.

By the way, I'm loving this tub. The only thing I'm still getting used to is the dry skin that comes along with the air practically tearing my skin off :lol: and the hot water. Maybe I'll get some pictures tonight with the lights on.

Thanks for the photos....gives me something to look at when I am in the office on Saturday! Looks good!! I think once you have the windows removed and the french doors put in with the surround deck it will look even better!

Make sure to update your pictures when you do it...I am looking forward to seeing how everything looks. Just curious but what is that above the stereo...at first glance I thought it was a cassette deck..lol

Great job!

Thanks j! I appreciate the nice comments.

I also think it will look a lot better after the decking, doors and landscaping, but I've got to take it one step at a time. These things get costly. Plus, with twins on the way, I'm not sure how my budgeting is going to work out at this point. The nice thing about the tub is that I was able to save up and pay cash for it.

Ah. The thing above the JBL stereo is the Genesis brominator. It allows me to digitally set the amount of bromine I want in the water. This way, I only have the change the water once a year instead of once every 3 or 4 months. It's a cost saving thing.

Thanks j! I appreciate the nice comments.

I also think it will look a lot better after the decking, doors and landscaping, but I've got to take it one step at a time. These things get costly. Plus, with twins on the way, I'm not sure how my budgeting is going to work out at this point. The nice thing about the tub is that I was able to save up and pay cash for it.

Ah. The thing above the JBL stereo is the Genesis brominator. It allows me to digitally set the amount of bromine I want in the water. This way, I only have the change the water once a year instead of once every 3 or 4 months. It's a cost saving thing.

Ahhh btw...congrats on the little one(S) :D

Very cool, not really familiar with bromine...but I am all for saving money! I also like the looks of the lounge..even though I am not a big fan of them. Looks like those jets will make a tired set of legs feel like new!

keep us updated with pics. I wish more people would share their setup.

Man, that is a Nice hot tub. I loveeeee the lounge also, you went all out for sure, awsome!!

Everything looks great, I cant wait to see the deck around the tub either, let me know how it goes.

Can you take some pictures as your framing it, so others can see how to frame one?

I might do that as well

Where and what kinda GFCI panel did you go with?

I still need to hook my eletrical up yet

Keep up the great work!!

PS, how does your wife like it so far?

Thanks guys for the positive feedback. Along with a working hot tub, you guys are making all of the work worth it.

When you say you'd like to see pictures of the framing, I assume you're talking about the framing of the deck. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a little while before that process begins. Since the twins are due in May, I'm going to have my hands full. I'm thinking we won't start decking until next Spring. I will, however, probably put in the french doors and do some back yard landscaping within the next few months. I will be sure to post photos of all the projects as I work on them.

With regards to the spa electrical box, j, I it's a Midwest UG412RMW250 Standard 50 Amp GFI Disconnect. I got mine at Lowes. It looks like Midwest offers a 60 Amp version if you were still wanting to get that. However, if I were you, I wouldn't exceed the amperage requirements from your hot tub manufacture (this will be shown in your spa manual).

One last note: Everyone will tell you you're crazy for running 4-gauge wire, but you should do it anyway. 4-gauge for your hot, hot and neutral (that's 3 wires). Run 6-gauge for your ground. It will certainly cost more money using larger gauge wire (especially at today's copper prices), but it keeps you from having to dig up your conduit should you get a spike and melt a smaller guage wire. People will laugh at you and say you're over-doing it, but just don't listen. Let everybody else do things on the cheap if they want to.

Thanks guys for the positive feedback. Along with a working hot tub, you guys are making all of the work worth it.

When you say you'd like to see pictures of the framing, I assume you're talking about the framing of the deck. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be a little while before that process begins. Since the twins are due in May, I'm going to have my hands full. I'm thinking we won't start decking until next Spring. I will, however, probably put in the french doors and do some back yard landscaping within the next few months. I will be sure to post photos of all the projects as I work on them.

With regards to the spa electrical box, j, I it's a Midwest UG412RMW250 Standard 50 Amp GFI Disconnect. I got mine at Lowes. It looks like Midwest offers a 60 Amp version if you were still wanting to get that. However, if I were you, I wouldn't exceed the amperage requirements from your hot tub manufacture (this will be shown in your spa manual).

One last note: Everyone will tell you you're crazy for running 4-gauge wire, but you should do it anyway. 4-gauge for your hot, hot and neutral (that's 3 wires). Run 6-gauge for your ground. It will certainly cost more money using larger gauge wire (especially at today's copper prices), but it keeps you from having to dig up your conduit should you get a spike and melt a smaller guage wire. People will laugh at you and say you're over-doing it, but just don't listen. Let everybody else do things on the cheap if they want to.

Thanks for the feedback.

4 gauge will be enough for a 60 amp GFCI - breaker box?

Thanks for the link also, I'm looking it up now.

The spa will be here in the next few weeks, and the deck is built, stained , ready for the new spa.

All I have left is outdoor / landscape lighting, and I have to think of what I'm going to use, like some sort of umbrella, or gazebo , to put around the spa, so were not baking in the spa if we use it during the day, espicalley being werre in FL

Well, since you're got the deck without a spa, and I posted pics of my spa without a deck, can you post pics of the deck? I'd love to see what it looks like. I'm in Texas, so I know what you mean about heat and sun during the day.

BTW, 4 guage is more than enough. That's the point of using it. 6 gauge would work, but I wouldn't use it if I were you. Especially since you're using a 60amp and not a 50amp.

Well, since you're got the deck without a spa, and I posted pics of my spa without a deck, can you post pics of the deck? I'd love to see what it looks like. I'm in Texas, so I know what you mean about heat and sun during the day.

BTW, 4 guage is more than enough. That's the point of using it. 6 gauge would work, but I wouldn't use it if I were you. Especially since you're using a 60amp and not a 50amp.

Sure thing, I'm new to the forms here, how do i post pictures?

I put 12" concrete tubes every 4' on center on the rim board, and extra supports dirrectley under where the spa is going to sit.

It's a 24' x 16' deck, low profile, about 18" off the gorund. I just finished alot of the surrounding landscaping around the deck, and low voltage lighting.

Were goingt o build a Island with built in BBQ , and stucco it, with a SS fridge, SS sink, etc, once we have the spa complete.

I also put a 5' round marble top table, that has a built in firepit for serving cocktails at night, and am also putting a fireplace ( gas ) with logs, in the other corner.

You can say were getting the more out of every sq inch in use on the deck!

floridascubaguy,

You have to upload your pictures to some other picture site and link to it from here. Or, if you upload the pictures somewhere else and you know their URL, you can use the "Insert Image" button when typing a message.