Shopping For A New Hot Tub

antnali

We are in the process of buying a new hot tub and have began the rigorous search for the best deal for the money. We have looked at Sundance, Coleman, and Master Spas. During our search, we encountered a floor model that is on sale. It is a Coleman 480, with all the bells and whistles - ozonator, ice chest, stereo. I could do without the ice chest and stereo/cd player - but they come with it. They gave me a price of $7400. I like it because we want a 6 person tub, it has a great warrantee and I like the steel construction. I don't see much on this forum about Colemans - I see alot about Sundance and Jacuzzi. We are going to wet test it tommorrow. Can anyone give me some feedback about this model and Coleman tubs in general?

Thanks.

We are in the process of buying a new hot tub and have began the rigorous search for the best deal for the money. We have looked at Sundance, Coleman, and Master Spas. During our search, we encountered a floor model that is on sale. It is a Coleman 480, with all the bells and whistles - ozonator, ice chest, stereo. I could do without the ice chest and stereo/cd player - but they come with it. They gave me a price of $7400. I like it because we want a 6 person tub, it has a great warrantee and I like the steel construction. I don't see much on this forum about Colemans - I see alot about Sundance and Jacuzzi. We are going to wet test it tommorrow. Can anyone give me some feedback about this model and Coleman tubs in general?

Thanks.

I sold Coleman for several years. My big complaint was that they consumed vast amounts of electricity. Huge amounts.

We dropped them, and shortly after we did, they changed the way they insulate the spas. I hear that they are not as energy hungry anymore.

The steel frame is just another way to support the tub. Steel rusts, wood rots. The key is to keep both materials as dry as you can. I think a major name-brand tub is going to get good use out of wood or steel. They pretty much have to since they all offer similar warranties.

BTW - look for the warranty on the surface. It is usually the shortest part of the warranty between the 'structure' and the 'surface' or 'shell.' If you have a long warranty on the structure, but a short warranty on the surface, you may have a problem. Very seldom do any of the major-name tubs have any kind of failure in the structure.

Otherwise, look at the features carefully. There are features which will translate into benefits to you and features which will not. It is hard to know without owning one already, so talk to people who have. Think. Take your time. Wet test if you possibly can.

B)

Consider usage cost over time. I bought an "economy" spa at Costco and its killing me in energy usage with bills that have increased by nearly $200 a month. I am trying to figure out why it is using this much juice. If I had I bought a well-insulated unit, I think I would be saving a lot of money and paying myself back over time. Just food for thought. Good luck on your decision.

jmendoza17, you should get a hold of a meter for your spa. You're right, you could have bought a Hot Spring or Sundance spa after a couple of years of high electic bills.

Consider usage cost over time. I bought an "economy" spa at Costco and its killing me in energy usage with bills that have increased by nearly $200 a month. I am trying to figure out why it is using this much juice. If I had I bought a well-insulated unit, I think I would be saving a lot of money and paying myself back over time. Just food for thought. Good luck on your decision.

:unsure:

What should a monthly electric bill go up if you have a good spa, well insulated, and you run it 24 hrs. a day to keep the water hot? I am going to look at a "LifeSpa" this weekend, advertised in the local paper for $1750 - brand new - Is this a scam? It sound too good to be true - what should I look for???

What should a monthly electric bill go up if you have a good spa, well insulated, and you run it 24 hrs. a day to keep the water hot? I am going to look at a "LifeSpa" this weekend, advertised in the local paper for $1750 - brand new - Is this a scam? It sound too good to be true - what should I look for???

If it's the outfit I'm thinking of look out for a bait and switch, fairly high pressure sales approach from what I have heard (I can't say I have first hand knowledge but I have been told this by one owner and read a few things). They are advertising that spa to get you in the door where they put on the "time share sales" type show. If I were you I would at least visit a couple local spa dealers before going there so you can get a feel for other spas and for other approaches. If you go that route that's your choice but I think you should be adament with them that you are NOT buying that day and are absolutely going to compare what you see there to your other local dealers. They'll say all the right things about quality, warranty, insulation, etc. but unless you've looked at what else is out there you'll have no basis for comparison. There are many good spa makers so I'd see who else is local to be able to compare (Sundance, Hot Spring, Marquis, Caldera, D1, Arctic, Jacuzzi, etc. should all have dealer locators on their websites).

Let us know how it goes.

You get what you pay for and it doesn't sound like you would get very much.

• 3 years later...
You get what you pay for and it doesn't sound like you would get very much.

I been browsing the forum for about a month now. Looking to purchase a hot tub for the backyard.

I went to a Jacuzzi dealer.. very nice lady. No pressure, knew I was just looking, answered questions, feel free to come back or call if needed.

Over the weekend, I went to a California Home Spa, a CalSpa dealer. Same attitude as the Jacuzzi dealer.

Now.. Lifespa. Wow.. what a bait and switch. I saw the ad for a $1950 spa. Of course, they basically said it was a worthless spa, will crack, and you want this one... plus, you want this and this and that... after 1 1/2 hours.. they wanted $12,000 for a 6 person spa. Titanium heaters are $2000 extra? They pushed the duraflex crap on me also. Said the Acrylic will fade and crack within two years.... even if it is kept full of water and covered. Smelled fishy.. I left.

So.. between Jacuzzi and CalSpa.. the models I looked at were similar and similar in price.

Exactly which Costco spa did you purchase?

Just want to make sure that not all the Costco spas are lumped into this category together.

I believe they sell some good and some not-so-good spas.

thanks

Ken

Exactly which Costco spa did you purchase?

thanks

Ken

I had to do a search to remember, JMendoza bought a HydroSpa from Costco. Hydro preceded Infinity with pretty much the same results as all the others before it.

He had 400+ posts on this site so you can search further if you want as here are all his posts.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...;hl=&st=400

I had to do a search to remember, JMendoza bought a HydroSpa from Costco. Hydro preceded Infinity with pretty much the same results as all the others before it.

He had 400+ posts on this site so you can search further if you want as here are all his posts.

One of many, many Hydrospa folks we argued with for 6-8 months that they were getting a discount price on a discount tub, nothing more. Then it was followed by many, many folks that we argued with about the Infinity tubs, said the same thing. Before both those it was Keys. Can't remember back any further. Now were doing it again. Ka-sera-sera.

One of many, many Hydrospa folks we argued with for 6-8 months that they were getting a discount price on a discount tub, nothing more. Then it was followed by many, many folks that we argued with about the Infinity tubs, said the same thing. Before both those it was Keys. Can't remember back any further. Now were doing it again. Ka-sera-sera.

wow, this thread spans two years and lacks continuity and credibility, I suggest it be closed.

DK117

Newbie Scott (welcome, Scott!) posted about some other spas, and no doubt didn't notice the dates on the thread he was posting to.

Do you industry guys dream venomous dreams about Costco as well? Sheesh. Give it a rest!

Talk to the new guy about what he came to talk about!

Scott... a little free advice. Start a new thread if you have any questions. And don't mention 'Costco' if you actually would like an answer. :D

Newbie Scott (welcome, Scott!) posted about some other spas, and no doubt didn't notice the dates on the thread he was posting to.

Do you industry guys dream venomous dreams about Costco as well? Sheesh. Give it a rest!

Scott... a little free advice. Start a new thread if you have any questions. And don't mention 'Costco' if you actually would like an answer. :D

How about you Costco shills, see one come up and feel the need to protect your investment?

How about you Costco shills, see one come up and feel the need to protect your investment?

I for one do find it quite coincidental that newbie Scott just happens across a two year old thread where a guy claims to have $200 a month KWh expense on a HydroSpa .... I mean CostcoSpa. Worked quite well as reference data in the title fight thread ... no?

DK117

I for one do find it quite coincidental that newbie Scott just happens across a two year old thread where a guy claims to have $200 a month KWh expense on a HydroSpa .... I mean CostcoSpa. Worked quite well as reference data in the title fight thread ... no?

DK117

Point well taken but new people often do a search and respond to multi-years old posts so that is nothing new.

DK117

Doc, where did that mystery poster newbie Scott post from? Close to me? DK can take back his insinuation later, or not I could care less!

DK117

Doc, where did that mystery poster newbie Scott post from? Close to me? DK can take back his insinuation later, or not I could care less!

Take it easy Roger, the insinuation was but one part of that post, and a funny one I might add. The second and important part was that HydroSpa does not equal Strong nor any other Costco offering.

Honestly, I'm thoroughly enjoying the recent posts, but no reason to take this stuff personally. I learned a lot in the first few months on this board, but now I'm here pretty much for entertainment value only. No personal attacks intended.

DK117

Thanks for the Welcome.

First.. I did not mean to post to a two year old thread. I did a search for "LifeSpas", and I just happened to reply.

Also, I never mentioned Costco. I have seen the threads on Costco. I am staying away.

I went with a CalSpa, a six person Escape model. Something interesting... LifeSpas called me back on Saturday, after I bought the CalSpa. When I told the sales rep at LifeSpas, he said that if I would cancel the CalSpa purchase.. he would beat the price I bought the CalSpa for by $100. Hung up.