Best (Chemical?) Way To Remove Foam Insulation?

ive been repairing leaks on a used spa i bought just wondering if there is any tips or tricks or remove the spray on insulation or a chemical that will eat it off without damaging pvc. cleaning off bigger pipes is not bad but these air manifolds? or whatever the things are with a few little tubes going into some kind of verticle pvc chamber is hard to get in all the areas to find the leaks

Ladies nail polish remover eats the foam as far as I'm aware, though I don't know which is the active ingredient/s that does it.

I believe Acetone is the active ingredient in nail polish remover. If you use it, be EXTRA CAUTIOUS as it is extremely flammable!!!

Ladies nail polish remover eats the foam as far as I'm aware, though I don't know which is the active ingredient/s that does it.

I believe Acetone is the active ingredient in nail polish remover. If you use it, be EXTRA CAUTIOUS as it is extremely flammable!!!

Wear rubber gloves with acetone.

ive been repairing leaks on a used spa i bought just wondering if there is any tips or tricks or remove the spray on insulation or a chemical that will eat it off without damaging pvc. cleaning off bigger pipes is not bad but these air manifolds? or whatever the things are with a few little tubes going into some kind of verticle pvc chamber is hard to get in all the areas to find the leaks

Close the valve at the outlet of the heater and shut the jets off except one. Then pressurize the manifold with garden hose pressure on the jet you left open. You'll find your leaks.

I ran a crew that removed polyurethane foam from refrigerated holds on a ship. We found that mechanical removal was the best way. Chemicals and solvents that will dissolve polyurethane foam are dangerous to your health as well as flammable and they made an awful mess.

These chemicals will also mess up your PVC piping.

Start digging!

Dave

You can use food colouring and add that to the spa and let it circulate for a day or so and then find the colour foam. If its leaking from the air lines leave the valve closed so the lines aren't drawing air through them as this would prevent the spa from leaking. Also another method is put the tub up on blocks and fill the spa and find out where its dripping from and dig up and find your leak.

You can use food colouring and add that to the spa and let it circulate for a day or so and then find the colour foam. If its leaking from the air lines leave the valve closed so the lines aren't drawing air through them as this would prevent the spa from leaking. Also another method is put the tub up on blocks and fill the spa and find out where its dripping from and dig up and find your leak.

Please do not use chemicals on the foam insulation. The bast way is to hand remove. If you feel the need to use chemicals look up dynasolve

• 5 years later...

Acetone is the chemical to use. It is perfectly safe as long as proper precautions are taken.

Use thick rubberized gloves.

Wear eye protection if it is in a manner where it could splash.
extinguish all flames which may be in the area, and turn power off to the hottub at the breaker so there is no ignition source.
ONLY do this if you are outside or in a well ventilated area.

It would be much better if you break away the majority of the foam manually, but it is next to impossible to clean the foam out from around the fixtures, jets, etc by manual effort alone. Taking the majority of the foam out manually will reduce the amount of acetone needed and the risks involved. Avoid breathing the vapors or getting it on bare skin. A few drops will not hurt your skin if you get it wiped off.. but it will burn you if you do not get it removed promptly. Use common sense.