Costco Tub Delivery

arf1410

For those that have already purchased tubs from Costco, did you have success negotiating for delivery to your backyard? If so, did you negotiate on the phone when coordinating the delivery time, or with the truck driver / helper directly? How much was the extra charge or "tip?"

thinging this route would be easier than bringing in a separate company to move tub to back yard...

For those that have already purchased tubs from Costco, did you have success negotiating for delivery to your backyard? If so, did you negotiate on the phone when coordinating the delivery time, or with the truck driver / helper directly? How much was the extra charge or "tip?"

thinging this route would be easier than bringing in a separate company to move tub to back yard...

definitely on the phone prior to delivery. Then again I suppose it depends on how hard it is to get to the back yard. I paid $300 (looking back that seems high.) But it was a difficult move. The main consideration in my mind is that there's typically just one driver. The fee I paid included having 4 guys come over the day after delivery to move to my back yard.

DK117

Maybe you can plan ahead like DK117. When the delivery arrived for me, I asked if they could just offload the tub onto a trailer for $20 and they wouldn't do it. But they offered to move it to the right spot for me for $100. I had the impression this is pretty standard - they already have the plywood in the truck an just used the hand jack.

In my case there were 2 people when they delivered to me - driver and another worker. The spa is delivered on one side and it weighs like 900 pounds so you will need additional help to move it into place. My final spot wasn't ready yet so I had some landscapers help me move it into place when ready.

It's all a judgement call, but you might want to take into consideration that if you use the truck drivers and there's a mishap, you're screwed. I have had two spas, and I used the same spa mover for both. With my Evolution, I arranged the delivery and the spa mover for the same day. It was all done with one extra call to the sap mover. The truckers left it at the curb. The spas on end are tippy. Honestly, watching them fight with that thing, I wouldn't trust them to move it to the yard. At least those two guys. On the other hand, the spa mover shows us with the proper cart, three guys, and insurance.

Good luck. Some will, some wont. Having gotten a lot of big freight shipped to me before, some drivers, when the delivery is just designated to the edge of the truck and the recipient is reposnsible for the muscle, will offer to help for a fee like above. Others wont out of fear of getting hurt and/or losing their job. If the delivery isnt designated to go to your final spot, these guys are , in some cases, taking a risk of getting hurt and then not being covered under workmans compensation protection since moving the spa anywhere off the truck isnt technically a work related task. A lot of guys will do it bc they are nice and it puts a healthy supplement into their income, but dont be shocked if they politely refuse. Good luck to you and enjoy your hot tub!

Edit: Just saw hot_wate's point on insurance too. Well said. Thats insruance for your tub, your home, and for the workers.

Good luck. Some will, some wont. Having gotten a lot of big freight shipped to me before, some drivers, when the delivery is just designated to the edge of the truck and the recipient is reposnsible for the muscle, will offer to help for a fee like above. Others wont out of fear of getting hurt and/or losing their job. If the delivery isnt designated to go to your final spot, these guys are , in some cases, taking a risk of getting hurt and then not being covered under workmans compensation protection since moving the spa anywhere off the truck isnt technically a work related task. A lot of guys will do it bc they are nice and it puts a healthy supplement into their income, but dont be shocked if they politely refuse. Good luck to you and enjoy your hot tub!

Edit: Just saw hot_wate's point on insurance too. Well said. Thats insruance for your tub, your home, and for the workers.

I second that! Especially regarding injury, liability, and the movers job. If you deal with a price penetration product expect it to be no frills all the way. Delivery, product itself (energy cost), and any service (tech or chemical related) that comes with it. If you want service and no headaches you have to move away from the entry level products.

I appreciate your comments about the liability issue of moving a spa, which I hadn't considered. Certainly buying anything from Costco is a "no frills", no support experience, which many of us do for the large cost savings. But to say it is an "entry level" spa, when I didn't even tell you which one I was looking at, tells me you are likely in ths spa business. Costco sells very few "entry level" products as there is less profit in those. You can buy luxury cars, ORIGINAL Picasso's, and a million dollar diamond at Costco. However, I'd rather this thread not deteriorate into a name calling costco bashing thread like the other one...

I appreciate your comments about the liability issue of moving a spa, which I hadn't considered. Certainly buying anything from Costco is a "no frills", no support experience, which many of us do for the large cost savings. But to say it is an "entry level" spa, when I didn't even tell you which one I was looking at, tells me you are likely in ths spa business. Costco sells very few "entry level" products as there is less profit in those. You can buy luxury cars, ORIGINAL Picasso's, and a million dollar diamond at Costco. However, I'd rather this thread not deteriorate into a name calling costco bashing thread like the other one...

I agree, Costco does their homework before they sell something. I wasn't sure where I was putting my hot tub so I bought a couple dollies and had the delivery guys leave the spa on the two dollies. It was an easy roll to the backyard from there. I had no luck negotiating with Costco regarding delivery. They made it very clear that they were dropping it off on the driveway!

Good luck.

I agree, Costco does their homework before they sell something. I wasn't sure where I was putting my hot tub so I bought a couple dollies and had the delivery guys leave the spa on the two dollies. It was an easy roll to the backyard from there. I had no luck negotiating with Costco regarding delivery. They made it very clear that they were dropping it off on the driveway!

Good luck.

Over the past decade Costco has absolutely sold entry level spas that had a very poor quality history. Costco may do their homework on many products but they get a D grade for the spas they sold previously. The latest versions have not been out long enough to grade but don't make the mistake of thinking because its from Costco its a quality product because this is one area where they do not have a good track record.

Boy, that's not what I see at our local Costco (100 miles away) I see off brands, seconds, chinese tools, bulk food product. Hmmmmm Must be different elswhere, maybe this is why I have a different feel for Costco. In my mind they are the same and the product is the same as Walmart, K-Mart, Target, Sams Club.

I just tipped the driver an extra $50 to use his pallet jack, take it down my 50-foot driveway, through a gate and then 25 feet more onto the patio. I had already read here both methods and went for this one.

"I just tipped the driver an extra $50 to use his pallet jack, take it down my 50-foot driveway, through a gate and then 25 feet more onto the patio. I had already read here both methods and went for this one. "

So how do you lower it from a vertical position?

"I just tipped the driver an extra $50 to use his pallet jack, take it down my 50-foot driveway, through a gate and then 25 feet more onto the patio. I had already read here both methods and went for this one. "

So how do you lower it from a vertical position?

I had a couple more <BIG/STRONG> guys from a local spa/pool place tip it down, strip it and remove the packing. $100 (they asked for $65... I gave them $100) for 20 minutes work.

Note... two guys need to be really BIG and STRONG. Three to four might work better but mine did OK without any problems. I did teach them something, though... lay it down on four PVC pipes and roll it into final position. Worked fine.

Good luck.

Ours was dropped off in the driveway also! I ended up gathering 10 friends and paying them in pizza and beer. Costco wouldn't budge :(

Good luck.

Over the past decade Costco has absolutely sold entry level spas that had a very poor quality history. Costco may do their homework on many products but they get a D grade for the spas they sold previously. The latest versions have not been out long enough to grade but don't make the mistake of thinking because its from Costco its a quality product because this is one area where they do not have a good track record.

What fourm do all the dissatisifed costco onwers post on? i would like to here thier stories about thier poor quality spas. most of the problems I see here are non costo spa related.