Costco's Returned Spas

Seems as Costco sells their used spas to discount centers. They are turning up in our area via one of these centers and being sold as running spas with nothing wrong with them..Again, buyer beware, even purchasing a spa from a "store". These tubs have issues, plus they were never winterized and have froze up. We went to one today, the buyer had to pay big $$ because the tub not only tripped his house breaker, but blew the breaker/transformer on the outside pole. He then had us come look at the tub which was very old had been frozen, and had a serious short in the control system, thats without any of the compnents hooked to it. (we wont mention the electrician never hooked it to a GFCI, thank god it had these other issues)

He is working now to try to recoup at least the money he paid for the tub, and he is still going to be out the money to the electric company and our service call, but on the bright side at least he did not burn down his house or get electricuted!

Please, please be careful when purchasing used tubs....I can not say that enough. If they are not up and running, ask if they can get it running for you.

So hillbilly, how exactly does a properly wired spa blow out a transformer without tripping the breaker or shorting at the disconnect?

Also, can you humor us and point us in the direction of one of those discount centers? Maybe a name or something? Exactly what model Costco tub was it? And also curious, how do you know it was a Costco tub?

I'm a little lost on this one too, you know Costco doesn't make spas right? If a Strong, or other Costco spa supplier received a return from the customer via Costco, the manufacturer would certainly try to refurbish and resell the spa (I can't think of any Spa manufacturer or local dealer that wouldn't do the same.) I think you're trying to caution people on proper electrical set up, I applaud you for that. All of my local dealers sub out their electrical. So this has nothing to do with Costco, but maybe a lot to do with incompetent electricians? Possibly an error in the refurbish process? Your message ultimately confuses me.

DK117

PS the beta version of this site seems to have the login issue we had a few months ago, I just removed beta in the URL and was able to get back in.

I know costco does not make spas, this discount center (Mr. G's in walpole NH) purchases its products, at least many of them from Costco's returns. They do tell you this, and most of their products still have the costco return lables stuck to them describing why they were returned, such as missing parts, light out ect. This was an image/icon spa that had been returned after several years of use I am guessing since it was about 8-12 years old. my post was about people need to be careful what they purchase. This guy was more trusting in beleiving the the spa was ok since that is what they told him, and this was a store. They have purchased several tubs from costco, some have had no issues others have. i am guessing that manufactures do not want to waste the money to pay for the tub to be shipped back to them, put money into it to try to sell as a refurb. i know the tubs we sell do not take most of the tubs back if they are "returns' for issues. They try to sell them to dealers for pennies on the dollar and have us refurb and sell them. they only tubs i have seen go back are freight damaged tubs, where all the parts are new so it is worth it for them to have them shipped back, so I disagree with you DK. It costs way to much to ship stuff nowadays. Maybe this is why many tub manufactures that have delt with the big box stores have gone out of business, besides making their tubs to try to meet price points, they take a huge bite on a return policy like that.

as far as blowing the pole outside, the spa was never hooked to a GFCI dissconnect breaker,(he did have a licensed electrician do this, i would not hire him!) it did blow the house fuse and then kept going I guess. Probabley no different than a power surge coming the other way and blowing the fuses on your tub, this just went backwards to the line. you would have to speck to vermont public service about that. the tub did have a dead short, even with all the components unhooked. the tub had also been frozen at some point and had major plumbing issues.

This would be fine if the spas were fully/properly refurbished and sold as such.

I agree, this consumer was under the assumption it was fine since it was being sold by a store

I know costco does not make spas, this discount center (Mr. G's in walpole NH) purchases its products, at least many of them from Costco's returns. they purchase a "lot" for x amount of dollars and hope to make a profit. They do tell you this, and most of their products still have the costco return lables stuck to them describing why they were returned, such as missing parts, light out ect. This was an image/icon spa that had been returned after several years of use I am guessing since it was about 8-12 years old. my post was about people need to be careful what they purchase. This spa was not refurbished, discount centers usually do not do that. This guy was more trusting in beleiving the the spa was ok since that is what they told him, and this was a store. They have purchased several tubs from costco, some have had no issues others have. i am guessing that manufactures do not want to waste the money to pay for the tub to be shipped back to them, put money into it to try to sell as a refurb. i know the tubs we sell do not take most of the tubs back if they are "returns' for issues. They try to sell them to dealers for pennies on the dollar and have us refurb and sell them. they only tubs i have seen go back are freight damaged tubs, where all the parts are new so it is worth it for them to have them shipped back, so I disagree with you DK. It costs way to much to ship stuff nowadays. Maybe this is why many tub manufactures that have delt with the big box stores have gone out of business, besides making their tubs to try to meet price points, they take a huge bite on a return policy like that.

The other place we see many junk tubs that are not refurbished is at auctions, which are open to the public, such as hot tub stores going out of business. John Q public purchases the tub thinking it is one of the stores used tubs and finds it was a parts tub.

as far as blowing the pole outside, the spa was never hooked to a GFCI dissconnect breaker,(he did have a licensed electrician do this, i would not hire him!) it did blow the house fuse and then kept going I guess. Probabley no different than a power surge coming the other way and blowing the fuses on your tub, this just went backwards to the line. you would have to speck to vermont public service about that. the tub did have a dead short, even with all the components unhooked. the tub had also been frozen at some point and had major plumbing issues.

My post was for buyers to beware if they are purchasing any type of used tub from anyone other than a dealer (and maybe some of thoses too). Its not just a matter of $$, this guy could have been seriously hurt or killed, it was a scary eye opener

I know costco does not make spas, this discount center (Mr. G's in walpole NH) purchases its products, at least many of them from Costco's returns. They do tell you this, and most of their products still have the costco return lables stuck to them describing why they were returned, such as missing parts, light out ect. This was an image/icon spa that had been returned after several years of use I am guessing since it was about 8-12 years old. my post was about people need to be careful what they purchase. This guy was more trusting in beleiving the the spa was ok since that is what they told him, and this was a store. They have purchased several tubs from costco, some have had no issues others have. i am guessing that manufactures do not want to waste the money to pay for the tub to be shipped back to them, put money into it to try to sell as a refurb. i know the tubs we sell do not take most of the tubs back if they are "returns' for issues. They try to sell them to dealers for pennies on the dollar and have us refurb and sell them. they only tubs i have seen go back are freight damaged tubs, where all the parts are new so it is worth it for them to have them shipped back, so I disagree with you DK. It costs way to much to ship stuff nowadays. Maybe this is why many tub manufactures that have delt with the big box stores have gone out of business, besides making their tubs to try to meet price points, they take a huge bite on a return policy like that.

I'm trying to get my head around this. So ok, manufacturers do not refurb spas, local dealers do. Got it. So don't buy refurb tubs from Mr G's Liquidation Center Route 12 North Walpole, NH 03609 603-445-2412? I think that and a caution towards professional liscensed electrical installation is your main message.

I do however have to ask, since many of them were from Costco, where were the not so many from, and what make and model and year?

I think you're trying to do a public service here and again I appreciate that. I don't know why you, at the same time, try to make it something bigger than it is. This one guy had a bad 8 year old "Costco" hot tub nearly nuke the neighborhood, therefore all Costco tubs today are inferior. It's not said but implied.

DK117

Moderator, please do not delete my post again.

For those who may have missed it, I called Mr Gs (Toll Barn) in Walpole. I said i was in the market for a cheap tub and heard they sold refurbed tubs. The owner told me that it is a, "hit or miss item and they only had 2 for sale all of last year." I asked what brand and they didn't know. The clarification above says the tub in question was an 8 year old tub that was returned. So even if it was a Costco tub, this only proves that they stand behind their product. I am a consumer and a purchaser of a Costco tub (Evolution / Strong). I am not a dealer / moderator who deletes postings I do not like.

Where did I ever put down costco or their tubs??? No where. i was warning people about buying used/refurbed tubs, it happens that these came from a costco lot sale. Costco's return policy is great for the consumer, no if ands or buts about that. Are you a bit touchy about any one talking about costco? Dont read more into what is written

For those who may have missed it, I called Mr Gs (Toll Barn) in Walpole. I said i was in the market for a cheap tub and heard they sold refurbed tubs. The owner told me that it is a, "hit or miss item and they only had 2 for sale all of last year." I asked what brand and they didn't know. The clarification above says the tub in question was an 8 year old tub that was returned. So even if it was a Costco tub, this only proves that they stand behind their product. I am a consumer and a purchaser of a Costco tub (Evolution / Strong). I am not a dealer / moderator who deletes postings I do not like.

I dont see where you had a post deleted, since i am a moderator i would be able to see deleted posts, maybe it never posted??

I dont see where you had a post deleted, since i am a moderator i would be able to see deleted posts, and I did not delete one so maybe it never posted?? Also, Mr.G's has only had a few tubs, but he is not the only one that purchases returns from costco, home depot or any of the other box stores. Also, did he mention, they ARE NOT refurbished??? Sorry i am trying to help people and for some reason Costco tub owners took it as a slame against their tubs when I NEVER said anything bad about tubs costco sells. Why are you all so thin skinned???

I'm trying to get my head around this. So ok, manufacturers do not refurb spas, local dealers do. Got it. So don't buy refurb tubs from Mr G's Liquidation Center Route 12 North Walpole, NH 03609 603-445-2412? I think that and a caution towards professional liscensed electrical installation is your main message.

I do however have to ask, since many of them were from Costco, where were the not so many from, and what make and model and year?

I think you're trying to do a public service here and again I appreciate that. I don't know why you, at the same time, try to make it something bigger than it is. This one guy had a bad 8 year old "Costco" hot tub nearly nuke the neighborhood, therefore all Costco tubs today are inferior. It's not said but implied.

DK117

dont know how it was implied costco was bad, seems as if the entire story was about a store that bought costco returns, then sells them again, never checking out the product. I think a couple of you are reading more into it thinking it was about costco tubs...its about any kind of returned/junk tub being put back on the market without being refurbished or even checked out.

No, i assure you that it was posted and then deleted.

The rest of the post that was deleted said something like this (I can't remember exactly)

Last year two spas were distributed through Mr. G's / Toll Barn. At least one of these was 8-12 years old according to Hillbilly. Even if both of these were Costco spas, this means that Costco stands behind their warranty. I don't know why you are calling out Costco in the heading when you go on to say this:

"I know the tubs we sell do not take most of the tubs back if they are returns for issues - they try to sell them to dealers for pennies on the dollar and have us refurb and sell them."

The rest of the post that was deleted said something like this (I can't remember exactly)

Last year two spas were distributed through Mr. G's / Toll Barn. At least one of these was 8-12 years old according to Hillbilly. Even if both of these were Costco spas, this means that Costco stands behind their warranty. I don't know why you are calling out Costco in the heading when you go on to say this:

"I know the tubs we sell do not take most of the tubs back if they are returns for issues - they try to sell them to dealers for pennies on the dollar and have us refurb and sell them."

I see those posts above????

i think we are way losing the point of the original post. I nor anybody else was slamming on costco at all. period, take the post what ever way makes you feel good.

I see those posts above????

i think we are way losing the point of the original post. I nor anybody else was slamming on costco at all. period, take the post what ever way makes you feel good.

I too see all the posts. And it's all in fun. A ) You've cautioned the consumer, thanks. B ) I don't think anyone would have read your post if it was titled "Image/Icon Returned Spas." :P

DK117

An eight year old Costco tub would be one from a manufacturer that was long since out of business, I believe. Items returned under the Costo "Member Satisfaction Policy" -- which is the oft-discussed Costco lifetime return program -- are supposed to be refunded by the manufacturer, not by Costco. Costco charges back the manufacturers for the refunds. This is one of the terms that suppliers have to agree to if they wish to sell to Costco - the supplier eats the returns. In the case of spas, where the manufacturers are out of business, Costco eats the refund. Poor Costco... just kidding, they sell so much toilet paper and baby diapers and stuff, and comparatively few spas, that I'm sure they never feel it.

I had to go to Costco today and while there, asked the Customer Service desk about what they do with any old tubs that are returned. I was told that they aren't sold to anyone, they are destroyed (hammer or chainsaw) by the loading dock guys and then scrapped. Not to say that some other Costco stores in other parts of the Country aren't doing something different or going against the policy... but for what it's worth that is what they said here at my local (CA) store.

Personally I wouldn't buy a returned spa, from Costco or anywhere, that was 8 years old. Heck you can often get older ones for free off of craigslist just by hauling it away.

Costco sells the best big jars of pickles in the world!! And coffee!! Hot tubs...well......