Need Purchase Advice - N00B Alert!

frogdawg

I need some advice from you spa gurus :)

I know nothing... first time buyer. I have a space limitation on my deck for a 2 person spa and have been looking at the following:

Caldera Kauai

Marquis Spirit

HotSpring Jetsetter

Dimension One Triad II

I have not wet tested any of these just yet... just educating myself on the options/differences so far. Are these any good? Are some better than others? Should I be looking at other models?

Any owner advice is certainly appreciated.

Cheers!

Froggy

I know nothing... first time buyer. I have a space limitation on my deck for a 2 person spa and have been looking at the following:

Caldera Kauai

Marquis Spirit

HotSpring Jetsetter

Dimension One Triad II

I have not wet tested any of these just yet... just educating myself on the options/differences so far. Are these any good? Are some better than others? Should I be looking at other models?

Cheers!

Froggy

Any one of those will make a fine addition to your household. All solid manufacturers. Find the one that fits your wallet and backside the best.

I'll comment on the makes you are looking at. D1, HotSprings and Marquis are very good makes. I really wouldn't rate one as being better than another. All that you mentioned are top level tubs, that I would consider to be very comparable in quality. I can't say for Caldera because they are not sold in my area. Before you make a decision, WET TEST! That spa that you thought was perfect, will turn out to be uncomfortable, the jets aren't right, the seats are to low, whatever, and the only way to know that is to WET TEST. Pick a dealer you are comfortable with. We have had 3 spas in our lives and the latest one was purchased just last year. We ruled out a Sundance for the simple reason we truely didn't like the dealer. Sundance makes a great spa, but I don't want to deal with the local dealer if a problem appears. His service sucks. By the way, the tubs we have had over the years are 2- HS tubs, and 1 Sundance. Our current tub is a HS and I will tell you that if you go with the HS spa, seriously consider the ACE and getting it with 220. The ACE will make water care easier and the 220 won't really be more in usage costs, but it will add to the convieniance especially if you live in a colder climate. If you live in a warm climate, then the 220 isn't as important.

Rebuild your deck to support a hot tub. Get the Jetsetter. Skip the ACE. Wire it for 220v. Get some "Brominating Concentrate (82.5% dichlor, 14.7% sodium bromide)", "pH Down", "Baking Soda", "Borax", from Walmart and be mindful that some of these are stocked as seasonal items only. Read the Bromine procedure on this site so that you will know what to do with the baking soda and borax. Do not use a floater, it is not approved by Hot Spring, but Brominating Concentrate is OK per their manual. Invest in the Taylor 2106 Bromine Test Kit to accurately measure your chemical levels. Change water every 3 months. All set!

all very good brands, I would agree skip the salt sytem on any brand you go with, but also i am not a fan of bromine, i still like chlorine,,,,but with the brands you have looked ..On the D1 you might look at the Serenade model as well, be the comparanle of the brands the Triad has a lot more features in it and is going to be more money, but all very well represented....

Caldera Kauai

Marquis Spirit

HotSpring Jetsetter

Dimension One Triad II

Cheers!

Froggy

All good brands, go with whatever you feel to be the best combination of quality spa and quality dealer.

I do not know why a couple of people told you to skip the ACE, but I suspect they don't have it, and don't know much about it. If they did have it, they probably would be telling you it's worth it. You won't find many posts from actual users of ACE that are telling people not to get it. I also believe you will find the overwhelming opinion of long time spa users is to stick with chlorine. Those of you that feel ACE should be skipped, please give your reason for that opinion. I'd be more than happy to correct any misconceptions you have about the ACE system. I've owned spas for many, many years, and the ACE system is the best innovation they have added to a tub in a very long time. I shock once a week and that's it. What do you do with your tub?