Valve Replacement Guidance Needed

kozmo

Hi, I've got a pool with spa, heater, a few sheers and a few fountains. The valves the builder used look pretty cheap and one of them has already become stuck open after 2.5 years. Fortunately it is a valve that is normally open, however I am concerned that I can't close it if I need to. The guy I'm having look at it tells me the valves are cheap and wouldn't suprise him if they all go out in the next year or two. So I'm looking at replacing this valve and all the other critical valves. I have a few questions;

Is it reasonable to expect my "cheap" valves to wear out after 2 - 3 years?

I have an estimate of $500 labor and $55/valve to replace 8 valves with Jandy never lube valves. I think the valves would be 2 or 3 inch. Does this sound like a reasonable estimate?

I am reasonably handy with PVC and have done a lot of work with sprinkler systems, but never on pool equipment. Is this a job that I may be able to do myself or do you recommend a professional.

Are Jandy neverlube valves a good choice? I see the also have a "Gold Standard" ball valve, which frankly looks similar to the cheap valves I have now.

Any help appreciated!

Whether you pay to have it done, or do it your self, i would definitely use the Jandy valves. They will never wear out. And if they do, they are completely rebuild-able without doing any re-plumbing. FYI, 500 dollars is about 4 hours labor around here, Northern CA.

Yes, those ball valves are cheap. I never use them but have several builders that use them and some other cheesy brand ball valves that are not rebuild-able.

Neverlubes are the best. $55 for 2 port valves each is about right. What's he bill per man/hour?

Scott