Pool Paint

sargent 1

We have a concrete pool 40years old in great shape,had it sandblasted and painted with Korzite 2part epoxy 3 years ago,notcied that summer that the bottoms of our feet were white or any other part of you body that touched the sides or bottom,end of the summer called the painter back ,he acid etched and painted again,let it dry for week in the sun to ensure it dries,last summer same thing again,paint on our feet,hands all over my stamped decking which is a mess now,wife would like to put me in the pool and fill it with dirt and grow vegetables than have me walk around all pissed off again this summer,Won't call the painter back because I lost it on him for the mess he made painting the second time,he figured it was my fault the paints coming off,need to fix this problem,Korzite has come and is running test on the paint and the salt I'm using,Pool store that sells the salt said I'm using to much which I'm not .I had the salt system before I painted and the paint wasn't coming off.Need some advice here now that spring is almost here,I dont want a garden I want my pool,talked to the guys at SSC coatings in Providence said that their product is the one I need,put it on and never worry about it again,mind you at $ 350.00 a gallon I would hope it lasts forever.Please any one had the same problems and resolved without spending a fortune,I don't have a problem paying for it as long as it works.

Chalking is very common with epoxy pool paint and is caused by exposure to sun and chlorine which break down the paint so it's pretty much going to happen sooner or later. Many factors come into play such as the quality of the paint, how it's been applied, how the pool surface was prepared prior to painting, and your water chemistry and how well you keep it.

Bottom line, it is often not uncommon for a painted pool to need repainting yearly because of chalking and, IMHO, a painted surface is not going to hold up for more than a few years at best.

If you can afford it my suggestion would be to plaster the pool. Even a "bottom of the line" white marcite (plaster) will outlast ANY paint and, in the long run, would be less expensive. With proper care a marcite finish can last about 15 years and some of the aggregates claim to last even longer.

Chalking is very common with epoxy pool paint and is caused by exposure to sun and chlorine which break down the paint so it's pretty much going to happen sooner or later. Many factors come into play such as the quality of the paint, how it's been applied, how the pool surface was prepared prior to painting, and your water chemistry and how well you keep it.

Bottom line, it is often not uncommon for a painted pool to need repainting yearly because of chalking and, IMHO, a painted surface is not going to hold up for more than a few years at best.

If you can afford it my suggestion would be to plaster the pool. Even a "bottom of the line" white marcite (plaster) will outlast ANY paint and, in the long run, would be less expensive. With proper care a marcite finish can last about 15 years and some of the aggregates claim to last even longer.

Thanks for the advice,will the plaster handle the winter in Canada? Also everyone is telling me it's the salt system.

Salt has nothing to do with it.

Plaster is fine in the winter.

The paint will need to be blasted off prior to laster. Then a bond coat is applied so the finish that you choose will adhere to the walls and not delaminate.

IMHO, 15 years is longer than I tell my customers with plain plaster. Here in NJ, it's about 8 to 12 years with proper care. SGM Diamond Brite gets several more years of life and I have yet to see a Pebble or clone such as Wet Edge wear out ever.

Scott

Salt has nothing to do with it.

Plaster is fine in the winter.

The paint will need to be blasted off prior to laster. Then a bond coat is applied so the finish that you choose will adhere to the walls and not delaminate.

IMHO, 15 years is longer than I tell my customers with plain plaster. Here in NJ, it's about 8 to 12 years with proper care. SGM Diamond Brite gets several more years of life and I have yet to see a Pebble or clone such as Wet Edge wear out ever.

Scott

Thanks ,have you ever heard of this company,check out the address they swear by their product. http://www.sscoatings.net/

Never heard of them. I've always used either Sau-Sea or Olympic brand paints. Good results with both, for paint.

Olympic's web

http://www.kelleytech.com/olympic/default.asp

and Sau Sea's

http://www.sausea.com/

Scott

Scott

True, I meant to say that with proper care it can last up to 15 years! 8-12 is pretty much the norm from what I have seen but I have come across a few that went the distance to 15!