High Hydro Bill For My New Arctic Spa

I bought new Arctic Spa - Model Midnight Sun - installed on 1st Dec 10. The Hydro consumption since jumped 3 times plus. The Spa has not been in use at all, since it is in a cottage. Bill for three months to Jan 2011 was $1,557 as compared to $500 for the same period last year. I have have sent a question to the dealer but no response yet.

Wondering what is causing this. The place is Parry Sound, ON, where the temperature at night have fallen upto -16C or 3F. Is there any setting I or the installers have missed? I have kept the Temp to 98F (37C). Can this be moved down?

Any help is appreciated.

George

I bought new Arctic Spa - Model Midnight Sun - installed on 1st Dec 10. The Hydro consumption since jumped 3 times plus. The Spa has not been in use at all, since it is in a cottage. Bill for three months to Jan 2011 was $1,557 as compared to $500 for the same period last year. I have have sent a question to the dealer but no response yet.

Wondering what is causing this. The place is Parry Sound, ON, where the temperature at night have fallen upto -16C or 3F. Is there any setting I or the installers have missed? I have kept the Temp to 98F (37C). Can this be moved down?

Any help is appreciated.

George

Welcome to the forum. Well, that is quite the jump in electrical usage, but there is no way the hot tub raised your bill that much. You said that the you had the hot tub installed Dec 1, and got the bill in Jan of 11, right? So the spa was only there for one month of the three month billing cycle if I am following you right. There is absolutely no way that the spa would have raised your bill that much, especially with it not even being used. You must have something else going on. Naturally your bill will increase some after getting a got tub, but not that much. Also, you really can't compare the previous years to this year. Many many variables will affect that and change from year to year. The rates could be more, weather, etc. I would wait to see what your dealer says, but that is my opinion.

Is someone out there stealing your hydro? because thats really high even for an Arctic :D. I know we are taking it left & right with hydro increases in Ontario at the moment so see how much your rates went up and how high your delivery fee is now, that may account for the big increase.

Well even though Pathfinder took a small jab at Arctic :rolleyes: (good thing for George, Arctic Spas are one of the more energy efficient spas made to date), he may be onto something here. We had a customer locally that her bill went up extremely high for just one month, and then again the next. She has had the spa for a number of years, so she knew that wasn't it. To make a long story short, someone was stealing power from her, which lead to extremely high bills like yours. You never know.

Any help is appreciated.

George

While there are other more effecient options for a tub idle like your situation there is no way your tub caused the entire increase. In your temps 60-80 a month wouldn't be out of the question and maybe more with initial heat up but not 400 or so as stated. There's other things going on. A small low watt circulation pump may have been a better option.

Any help is appreciated.

George

While there are other more effecient options for a tub idle like your situation there is no way your tub caused the entire increase. In your temps 60-80 a month wouldn't be out of the question and maybe more with initial heat up but not 400 or so as stated. There's other things going on. A small low watt circulation pump may have been a better option.

That's not even right. We have had temperatures that low in our area the last two winters, and it doesn't cost that much to run my spa. Closer to the 30-40 a month would be a more accurate statement in regards to a Arctic Spa and usually less than that. Also, the good ole circ pump is available on all 2011 Arctic Spas. ;)

Any help is appreciated.

George

"Closer to the 30-40 a month would be a more accurate statement in regards to a Arctic Spa and usually less than that "

$ 30-$40 a month is impossible... come on !! It cost $ 30 a month if you leave a light bulb on in your house for a month. It is pretty easy to do a quick calculation on energy costs by just plugging in some numbers .

Average Results

Pump @ Low ( 4 Hp 2 Speed ) 4.4 Amps

Pump @ High Speed ( 4 Hp 2 Speed ) 12.0 Amps

Pump @ Low Speed with heater( 4kw ) on 21.07 Amps

Pump @ High Speed with heater ( 4kw ) on 28.67 Amps

Electrical Conversions

Amps x Voltage = Watts

Watts/1000 = kilowatts/hour

Current cost of electricity : .064

Estimated Spa Usage with

6 Hrs filter cycle low speed , no heat 4.4 Amps

.5 Hrs at High Speed with heat on 28.67 Amps

2 Hrs Low speed , spa heating

At this current useage and rate , it would cost $1.29 per day.....without transmission , taxes , debt retirement

Still even thou I am not a big Arctic Spa fan , they don't build a bad tub , and it wouldn't cost $ 450.00 a month to run.....

Just wish that people would be realistic with there claims

"Closer to the 30-40 a month would be a more accurate statement in regards to a Arctic Spa and usually less than that "

$ 30-$40 a month is impossible... come on !! It cost $ 30 a month if you leave a light bulb on in your house for a month. It is pretty easy to do a quick calculation on energy costs by just plugging in some numbers .

Average Results

Pump @ Low ( 4 Hp 2 Speed ) 4.4 Amps

Pump @ High Speed ( 4 Hp 2 Speed ) 12.0 Amps

Pump @ Low Speed with heater( 4kw ) on 21.07 Amps

Pump @ High Speed with heater ( 4kw ) on 28.67 Amps

Electrical Conversions

Amps x Voltage = Watts

Watts/1000 = kilowatts/hour

Current cost of electricity : .064

Estimated Spa Usage with

6 Hrs filter cycle low speed , no heat 4.4 Amps

.5 Hrs at High Speed with heat on 28.67 Amps

2 Hrs Low speed , spa heating

At this current useage and rate , it would cost $1.29 per day.....without transmission , taxes , debt retirement

Still even thou I am not a big Arctic Spa fan , they don't build a bad tub , and it wouldn't cost $ 450.00 a month to run.....

Just wish that people would be realistic with there claims

Those most be some old energy sucker bulbs that you use. B)

Seriously though, I am not making that up. Those are real numbers in our area. It is usually less than that. I have had many customers that say they didnt notice a increase in their electric bill. I don't say these things just to make them up. Real stories from real customers. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but 1.29 x 30.41 days =$39.2289. So I wasnt even that far off. And again, that is on the high side.

Ya !!! started changing all my bulbs from 40 & 60 W to the more energy ones , next is unplug the beer fridge !

"Also, correct me if I am wrong, but 1.29 x 30.41 days =$39.2289 "......you are correct on the direct energy costs @ .064 cents which we all know is low , plus add in all the other charges on your bill and that spa is costing $ 65 - $ 75 per month to run.....and you have hardly used it!!

Ya !!! started changing all my bulbs from 40 & 60 W to the more energy ones , next is unplug the beer fridge !

"Also, correct me if I am wrong, but 1.29 x 30.41 days =$39.2289 "......you are correct on the direct energy costs @ .064 cents which we all know is low , plus add in all the other charges on your bill and that spa is costing $ 65 - $ 75 per month to run.....and you have hardly used it!!

The arctics don't cost that much. sorry, nice try bro!

Agree that it can't be $ 450.00

I live two hrs North of Parry Sound and our rates are rising quickly. We now have peak hydro rates , where it costs more to operate during the daytime. Rates are almost going to triple !

On another note , I am luck enough ( Ya ! )to also own an electrical contracting company and a swimmming pool and spa store for over 35 yrs. I do know just a little about Hydro. We sell Hot Tubs , repair all makes and models. I have had a habit , when units come in for repair we have a separate meter to test with.

I have had Arctic Spas in my Shop running indoors for up to two weeks....... the numbers don't lie , but they do run less than some other tubs....just much more than $30-$40 a month all inclusive

Any help is appreciated.

George

We would love to help you figure this out. All of our spas have been third party tested at 8 degrees Celsius and minus 8 degrees Celsius and none of our spas approach anything even remotely close to the numbers you are talking about. Please feel free to contact us directly at the factory so we can help you figure out what is causing this spike in your electrical bill.

Our direct contact details are:

780-789-2626

1-800-309-1744

jody@goartic.com

www.ArcticSpas.com

Agree that it can't be $ 450.00

I live two hrs North of Parry Sound and our rates are rising quickly. We now have peak hydro rates , where it costs more to operate during the daytime. Rates are almost going to triple !

On another note , I am luck enough ( Ya ! )to also own an electrical contracting company and a swimmming pool and spa store for over 35 yrs. I do know just a little about Hydro. We sell Hot Tubs , repair all makes and models. I have had a habit , when units come in for repair we have a separate meter to test with.

I have had Arctic Spas in my Shop running indoors for up to two weeks....... the numbers don't lie , but they do run less than some other tubs....just much more than $30-$40 a month all inclusive

I dont know what to tell you other than you are flat out wrong. We can argue this forever, but you are wrong. They dont cost that much to run. If they did, my head would have already been cut off from customers being mad at me. That is simply not true, ESPECIALLY if they are indoors like in the example you cited above. Facts are Arctic Spas are one of the more energy efficient tubs out there today, and there have been other non arctic dealers back this up before. Hopefully another Arctic customer on here sees this and chimes in.

All of our spas have been third party tested at 8 degrees Celsius and minus 8 degrees Celsius and none of our spas approach anything even remotely close to the numbers you are talking about.

I love this quote... it assumes that 8 degrees Celsius is cold... he did say Sudbury... It also assumes he never took his cover off...

Take your Arctic spa in January in Sudbury, remove the cover and let it roll... at .10 cents a Kw hour with a 5.5kw heater you would burn around $396.00 a month just running the heater with no pumps, run the three pumps half that time and you can hit close to $600 a month... God I hate stupid statements...

All of our spas have been third party tested at 8 degrees Celsius and minus 8 degrees Celsius and none of our spas approach anything even remotely close to the numbers you are talking about.

I love this quote... it assumes that 8 degrees Celsius is cold... he did say Sudbury... It also assumes he never took his cover off...

Take your Arctic spa in January in Sudbury, remove the cover and let it roll... at .10 cents a Kw hour with a 5.5kw heater you would burn around $396.00 a month just running the heater with no pumps, run the three pumps half that time and you can hit close to $600 a month... God I hate stupid statements...

Robert, he also said it was tested at -8 celsius buddy.

Lol, $600 a month. For a guy that hates stupid statements, and then you say something retarded like that! :rolleyes:

Ok math boy...

with a cover off in jan the heater will run all the time...

5.5 Kw at .10 cents a kilowatt hour equals .55 cents an hour times 24 hours equals $13.2 a day times 30 days is $396.00 per month... that's just the heater...

Do i need to convert the amperage on your pumps to prove the second part or are you in the game now :rolleyes:

It was not a statement about your tubs quality it was a statement about your absurd quote that it could never happen with an Arctic spa... it could happen with any spa... just take the cover off in the middles of the winter and let it roll...

AND QUIT CALLING ME ROBERT YOU MUPPITT!!!!

Like I stated , I had a separate hydro meter on it.....it doesn't lie

Next question , In the Parry Sound area , which is Northern Ontario , how long would it take for a Arctic Spa to heat up to 104 from 40 degree water in January ?

Lets say it is a Tundra . Any Arctic dealers out there care to help out ?

Ok math boy...

with a cover off in jan the heater will run all the time...

5.5 Kw at .10 cents a kilowatt hour equals .55 cents an hour times 24 hours equals $13.2 a day times 30 days is $396.00 per month... that's just the heater...

Do i need to convert the amperage on your pumps to prove the second part or are you in the game now :rolleyes:

It was not a statement about your tubs quality it was a statement about your absurd quote that it could never happen with an Arctic spa... it could happen with any spa... just take the cover off in the middles of the winter and let it roll...

Huh, I coulda swore your name was Robert. My bad. Dang gimmicky memory of mine.

Someone long ago assumed he was Robert from Colorado who sells Marquis and has never been a big fan of Arctic. I never beleived it was him simply because Robert isn't one to create an alternate ID to make his points, he wasn't someone to shy from saying what he thought. Though his opinion may be similar to Robert's I think you need to consider that maybe this is someone else.

Someone long ago assumed he was Robert from Colorado who sells Marquis and has never been a big fan of Arctic. I never beleived it was him simply because Robert isn't one to create an alternate ID to make his points, he wasn't someone to shy from saying what he thought. Though his opinion may be similar to Robert's I think you need to consider that maybe this is someone else.

Ya that was me, and I will quit calling him that, even though I still think it is him. He doesn't have a "Stuart" member id here, and it would be fitting for him to call himself spa god. He was bound to find this forum at somepoint and he is the only guy that I know would name himself that. Plus this guy talks just like him and presents everything as fact and the he is the expert and everyone else is not, just like Robert. Maybe I am wrong though(hardly ever)and it is his long lost brother darrel. Who knows really. I know that Robert isn't the only one that dislikes Arctic. Most competing dealers do, so it is nothing new really.

Prove me wrong spa god. Tell us where you are located and what you sell and prove me wrong and I will eat crow! :unsure: