What Else Can Cause Excess Foaming?

cpuKEN

We have only used our hot tub a couple times the past couple of months due to a variety of things but mostly extra cold outdoor temps. I've been checking the water chemistry every 2-4 days and things have been looking good. When I checked it two days ago (admittedly a slightly longer span since the last check) it was a little cloudy!!! I added some extra Chlorox and started the pumps as I normally do. That's when I noticed a lot of foam!!!

What has caused this?

thanks

ken

Most likely your chlorine was nonexistent and allowed bacteria to grow, hence the cloudy and foamy water. If you had posted a full set of test results it would have told us a lot more. "Looking Good" is not a test result that i can interpret. wink.gif Also how long is "admittedly a slightly longer span since the last check". I am not familiar with that measurement of time.blink.gif

Not making fun of you but if you want answers you really need to provide accurate info, otherwise we are all just guessing.

Bottom line here from what I can tell is that you ignored the tub and the water got cloudy and foamy. Nothing surprising here. Tells me you were without chlorine in the tub for a bit of time.

Most likely your chlorine was nonexistent and allowed bacteria to grow, hence the cloudy and foamy water. If you had posted a full set of test results it would have told us a lot more. "Looking Good" is not a test result that i can interpret. wink.gif Also how long is "admittedly a slightly longer span since the last check". I am not familiar with that measurement of time.blink.gif

Not making fun of you but if you want answers you really need to provide accurate info, otherwise we are all just guessing.

Bottom line here from what I can tell is that you ignored the tub and the water got cloudy and foamy. Nothing surprising here. Tells me you were without chlorine in the tub for a bit of time.

Waterbear, thanks for your reply. I didn't take it the wrong way... I did give some pretty vague info, just thought the excess foam, if not from detergent, could be attributed to a known, popular situation.

It had probably been about 6 days since I had last checked/treated the tub. To be honest with you, during these very cold and prolonged cold days, I would just go down and dump in about 8-12 oz of bleach. That seemed to keep the water clear. I'd also check the pH with a strip (not my Taylor kit) and would make some adjustments if needed. My tub normally, when using and checking every 2 days, would require about 4-6 oz of chlorox and the pH would creep up a little each week.

I did do a basic water check (after discovering the foam) and the pH was 8+. I've since add a little pH down and some muriatic acid.

I also added a couple squirts of foamout and that really knocked the foam down.

Foam due to detergent seems to be more resistant to the foamout but this foam really responded.

thanks again

Ken

• 1 month later...

anti foam does not remove the problem, it just hides it by creating surface tension on the water so foam can not be created. it only lasts for a day or 2. You need to address what is causing the foam to truely get rid of it.

My recommendation would be to add a fairly large dose (6-8oz) or a pH neutral non-chlorine shock such as bioguard's spa shock. This will oxidize out organic content in the water that can create nasty/foamy water. Also, if it has been awhile since the last time you cleaned out your jet lines, it might be a good idea to think about that. If the foaming gets really bad when you turn your jets on, then that is an indication that your lines have a build-up of organics. If you do this, just wait until the next time you are going to drain your water (because cleaning your jet lines requires this) and do it then. You should be draining your water about every 4 months. A maintenance dose of the spa shock will help keep organics at bay. It will also cut down on chlorine use a little bit because whatever it oxidizes, the chlorine no longer has to. Chlorine works as both a sanitizer and oxidizer and if you cut out one of those jobs, it has less to do and will last longer as a result (if all other chemical conditions in the spa are correctly maintained).

it just hides it by creating eliminating surface tension on the water

sorry, i thought it created a surface tension, thus not allow the bubbles to form due to the tension, guess i am bass akwards