What To Do When The Power Goes Out?

belome

OK, everyone is freaking about this huge storm system. What happens if the power goes out? How long before pipes start freezing when there is no circulation?

I don't have a big enough generator to heat my tub, but I have on that would run a space heater. Can I take a panel off and shove a space heater in there to keep the pipes from freezing?

OK, everyone is freaking about this huge storm system. What happens if the power goes out? How long before pipes start freezing when there is no circulation?

I don't have a big enough generator to heat my tub, but I have on that would run a space heater. Can I take a panel off and shove a space heater in there to keep the pipes from freezing?

space heater and/or trouble light in the equipment compartment, in a pinch you can also purchase a cattle tank heater at places like fleet farm for around $75, you can place it inside the spa to warm up the water

Space heater or trouble light, drain if you have to.

It would take days for the water to cool down and freeze,. Like others have said, put a small incandescent lamp in the machinery space, it shouldn't put much of a draw on your generator. If you drain it, be sure you get all the water out, or there will be ice damage to the pipes.

Dave

Be carefull on the placement of said.

Be carefull on the placement of said.

All of these ideas are great, but if there is no power, kind of hard to run the space heaters etc.

We highly suggest you do not drain!!! Unless you winterize properly, which without power you can not do, not a good idea. If you have a quality tub you have quite a bit of time before a freeze issue happens if you leave it full of hot water. if you have a tub that the components are isolated from the tubs body of water, most full foams are like this, make sure to block off any vents, try to keep that area as warm as possible and keep your fingers crossed that the power is not out for days.

All of these ideas are great, but if there is no power, kind of hard to run the space heaters etc.

We highly suggest you do not drain!!! Unless you winterize properly, which without power you can not do, not a good idea. If you have a quality tub you have quite a bit of time before a freeze issue happens if you leave it full of hot water. if you have a tub that the components are isolated from the tubs body of water, most full foams are like this, make sure to block off any vents, try to keep that area as warm as possible and keep your fingers crossed that the power is not out for days.

actually reading the OP might help...he said he did have a generator