Spa No Heat

Fox5flyer

I have a spa purchased from a friend who bought it at an auction. It has a Balboa VS500 controller and a "Spa Command side panel". It is in very nice condition and for the past year it has worked fine, but recently it began popping the GFCI. It was soon obvious that the heater element was the culprit because water was seeping up through one of the heater terminals. I purchased a new heater element and changed it, buttoned everything up, ensured water was in the heater, and turned it on at the breaker where, after some gyrations, it began circulating. Now, something I have to admit is that I've lost the manual and operating the side control is a challenge. Neither me nor my wife are sure what we're doing, but usually we can get it going. We would like to get a new manual for it, but there is no identification data plate on the tub anywhere (that we can find) so I don't know what manual to order.

Anyway, back to the heater problem. Everything seems to work OK, but I get no heater light and when I use my VOM on the heater terminals there is no voltage reaching them. One thing I get that might be a clue is on the side panel I get a code that reads "SnS" that seems to alternate with the water temperature. I read somewhere that SnS means that the sensors are out of balance, whatever that means. Both sensors were removed from the heater to change the element and replaced in their same spots, but nothing seemed amiss there. Still, no heat. I was told to replace the pressure switch, but can't seem to find one anywhere on or in the panel.

Anyone have any suggestions where I can go next? Also, if anyone can give me any suggestions on how to identify this tub, I would appreciate it. Or, do I even need it if a manual is available for the VS500?

I've really enjoyed reading all the other posts, but found nothing that seemed to help my problem.

Thanks,

Deke

I have a spa purchased from a friend who bought it at an auction. It has a Balboa VS500 controller and a "Spa Command side panel". It is in very nice condition and for the past year it has worked fine, but recently it began popping the GFCI. It was soon obvious that the heater element was the culprit because water was seeping up through one of the heater terminals. I purchased a new heater element and changed it, buttoned everything up, ensured water was in the heater, and turned it on at the breaker where, after some gyrations, it began circulating. Now, something I have to admit is that I've lost the manual and operating the side control is a challenge. Neither me nor my wife are sure what we're doing, but usually we can get it going. We would like to get a new manual for it, but there is no identification data plate on the tub anywhere (that we can find) so I don't know what manual to order.

Anyway, back to the heater problem. Everything seems to work OK, but I get no heater light and when I use my VOM on the heater terminals there is no voltage reaching them. One thing I get that might be a clue is on the side panel I get a code that reads "SnS" that seems to alternate with the water temperature. I read somewhere that SnS means that the sensors are out of balance, whatever that means. Both sensors were removed from the heater to change the element and replaced in their same spots, but nothing seemed amiss there. Still, no heat. I was told to replace the pressure switch, but can't seem to find one anywhere on or in the panel.

Anyone have any suggestions where I can go next? Also, if anyone can give me any suggestions on how to identify this tub, I would appreciate it. Or, do I even need it if a manual is available for the VS500?

I've really enjoyed reading all the other posts, but found nothing that seemed to help my problem.

Thanks,

Deke

Bump

Thanks,

Deke

Bump

Bump? Lost me there, guru.

Deke