Draining With A Submersible Pump

nuts2uiam

I have an Envoy (450 gallons) and until now have drained the hard way, garden hoses and clock watching. I am looking for advice regarding a submersible pump to speed the process along. I would appreciate some suggestions on a pump including size and if there is anything I need to know about using one. I normally run the hoses to the street about 50 feet so I don't kill the grass and plants when draining the hot tub. There are two drains on the envoy so I am assuming that I leave them closed and just use the pump. I have never bought one and researched a few and the prices and sizes are quite varied. I don't want to under buy and also don't want to buy something larger than I need.

I appreciate the opportunity to tap into the knowledge of so many people, this forum is wonderful. :D

I have always used a submersible utility pump (I think it is 1/6 hp) and never had an issue. I drain ~400 gallons with a hose run of ~100ft in a little over an hour. I think I bought the pump at Lowes for about $70. Well worth it. I see by their web site they have a newer model (1/3 hp) for $84 this should do the trick nicely.

ditto - I use the 1/6 HP pump I got at Lowe's for around $60. Be sure not to use the power cord to lower and retrieve the pump from your spa...I tie a rope to the pump and leave it hanging over the side of the spa for retrieval....this helps from yanking the cord away from the pump. If you're really feeling wild you can get one of the submersible pumps that takes an 1 1/2" pool hose that will drain even faster.

I have an Envoy (450 gallons) and until now have drained the hard way, garden hoses and clock watching. I am looking for advice regarding a submersible pump to speed the process along. I would appreciate some suggestions on a pump including size and if there is anything I need to know about using one. I normally run the hoses to the street about 50 feet so I don't kill the grass and plants when draining the hot tub. There are two drains on the envoy so I am assuming that I leave them closed and just use the pump. I have never bought one and researched a few and the prices and sizes are quite varied. I don't want to under buy and also don't want to buy something larger than I need.

I appreciate the opportunity to tap into the knowledge of so many people, this forum is wonderful. :D

ditto - I use the 1/6 HP pump I got at Lowe's for around $60. Be sure not to use the power cord to lower and retrieve the pump from your spa...I tie a rope to the pump and leave it hanging over the side of the spa for retrieval....this helps from yanking the cord away from the pump. If you're really feeling wild you can get one of the submersible pumps that takes an 1 1/2" pool hose that will drain even faster.

Thanks to both of you. I have just purchased the pump and have the filters soaking. I will drain it tomorrow and refill will be a piece of cake, I am sure. Thanks again.

I use the sump pump from my basement it drains the tub in about 6 min.

At least it gets used, it has only kicked on twice by itself in the 22 years I have been in my house. Plus I don't have to pour water in the sump pit to see if it works anymore.

Dave

For once I was thinking ahead. When I put my tub in I ran a 2" drain to the underground downspout drains I just plug the 1 1/2" flex hose into it.

I use a 1/4hp Superior Pump model 91250 that I bought thru amazon for about $55. Watch prices there as they change from less than $50 to more than $70. If you are in a hurry you can use a bigger hose but my 340 gal tub drains in 15-20 minutes thrugh a 3/4" garden hose. I start draining and then pull the filter and rinse it and then start saoking it in a cooler. By the time I am done the tub is dry and ready for cleaning and filling.

Is using a pump that much easier than the drain built into the tub? I know you'd have to take off the maintenance panel and that alone can be a chore. Hmm maybe I need a pump :)

not necessarily that much easier, just much quicker. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd rather not devote a whole sat. or sun. to draining/cleaning/re-filling a tub when the whole process could be done in a few hours (depending on water pressure when filling of course)

not necessarily that much easier, just much quicker. I don't know about the rest of you but I'd rather not devote a whole sat. or sun. to draining/cleaning/re-filling a tub when the whole process could be done in a few hours (depending on water pressure when filling of course)

Good call. I've only removed the maintenance cover once, and it was a real PITA. All of those screws, lining it up, etc. And you are right, I'd much rather get it done faster. I'll probably buy a pump when the time comes for a refill.

I have a Harbor Freight 1/3 hp pump, it'll suck my 200 gallon tub down in less than 10 minutes.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-3-hp-submersible-pump-with-float-45014.html

Once, I thought I'd try just siphoning it out with the pump's 1 1/4" plastic discharge hose. My tub is 4 ft. higher than my lawn, that only took 20 minutes. You can get the plastic hose at Lowe's for less than $10.00.

Dave

Hello, newbie here so excuse the question. We haven't bought a tub yet, but I've been wondering - as hot tub water is considered 'waste water' I guess I would have to pump the water from the hot tub, through the back yard, into the house, down the stairs, and into the basement sewer? The same place where soapy water from the clothes washer goes down? Just curious as to how others handle this, though I guess some newer developments have eaves trough downspouts which feed into the sewer system downstairs, don't they?

I guess this may vary depending on regulations and where a person lives (rural or city area)?

Regards,

Glen