Help With 2007 Hot Springs Vangaurd Value

Dan W

We just moved and left our old hot tub at the old house. Am looking at some used options and have found a 2007 Hot Springs Vanguard for sale. It doesn't have a stereo or any extra options exept a cover lift. Price is $5700 or best offer. Seems to be in nice shape. $5700 seems a bit high for a used tub that I'll have to move and set up, but I really don't have anything to base that off of. Any opinions out there of what might be a fair "best offer" to throw out there? Thank you in advance for any thoughts, opinion, advice, etc.....

Not sure where you are located but here in central texas our used tub prices are not that high. I just paid $4,000 for a 09 Vanguard. I had to move and set it up myself but for that price i thought it was worth it. Before i found that tub i found several Hot Spring and Jacuzzi tubs that were 2-4 years old and ranged from $2500-$4,000. i think the best deal i saw was a HS Grande with stereo for $4,000 it was an 2007 model. You might keep looking but if you are in an area where the tubs are in high demand they might hold their value better than here in texas. I have seen new prices on the Vanguard down to $8,500 so at $5,700 you are getting very close to a brand new tub.

jw

I was in no hurry while shopping for mine. There were several people that i contacted and made offers to, if they turned it down I would tell them to keep my number and contact me if they changed their mind. You would be surprised what a couple of weeks with no calls about the tub will do to a motivated seller. Just keep an eye out on craigslist and even contact your local dealer, i know my HS dealer always has info on used spas for sell. Good luck in your search, and keep us posted!

jw

We just moved and left our old hot tub at the old house. Am looking at some used options and have found a 2007 Hot Springs Vanguard for sale. It doesn't have a stereo or any extra options exept a cover lift. Price is $5700 or best offer. Seems to be in nice shape. $5700 seems a bit high for a used tub that I'll have to move and set up, but I really don't have anything to base that off of. Any opinions out there of what might be a fair "best offer" to throw out there? Thank you in advance for any thoughts, opinion, advice, etc.....

You may better off buying new, Sundance has a Hawthorne Spa 44 jets, 7'8" x7'8" x36" for about $ 6000 to $ 8000 for a new tub. Invest the extra few thousand and finance it. You save money in the long run over inheriting someone else's problems. Even a new Tiger River is a good choice. Wet Test and see what feels better to you.

I looked at used tubs for over a year and ended up purchasing a new Vanguard! $4000 is about the asking price for a few year old Vanguard - They may even have a hard time selling at that price. Seems like every tub for sale over $3500 or so that I looked at never sold! In my opinion - he will never sell that tub for $5700.

Keep looking - they pop in Craigslist all the time! Good luck!

Thanks. I thought it seemed pretty high too. Thinking of offering something closer to $4K and see what happens....

Used spas can be a good deal if in good shape and at the right price but the #1 rule when looking for used spas is you MUST see it in full operation before you even consider buying it. In general I'd say an '07 spa should be about 40% to 45% of original cost (and largely depending on condition) so if that is in really good shape and if it went for about $9k to 10k new then about $4k sounds about right, if it went for about $8k then maybe $3300. Quite frankly, owners don't always have a gip on what their spa shoudl sell for and there's also a good chance they are asking $5700 knowing full well someone will want to barter so don't hesitate to counter. Either way, counter offer based on what you think its worth and ignore that $5700 price.

$5,700 is way to high - get them between $3,000 and $4,000 somewhere. Remember warranty is voided once the original tub owner parts with the spa.

Thanks for the sanity check folks. We're taking a trip this weekend. When I get back I'll give him a call, go take a look, and go from there shooting for no more the $4K. $4K to $5K was about the limit of what I wanted to spend (I can move it myself and the electric will be straightforward where we plan to place it). So I've been looking at some of the cheaper new tubs (i.e. Costco) and used tubs (such as the one described). I know there are vastly differing opinions on which of those it the wiser choice (and I waffle back and forth myself). Any input opinions are appreciated and welcome. Our last tub was a cheap Coscto tub (a Winchester can came in a CalSpa box as I recall). It was nothing fancy but we were pretty satified with it. Of course I usually prefer the jets off and just like sitting in a still steaming tub early in the mornings with a cup of coffee - so my bar is fairly low! The tub we had before that was and old Hot Springs Soveirn that we bought used. It was a bit of a problem child, but I have to admit I liked the moto massage, and kind of prefered the little 24hr circ pump....