Replacement Filter Question

mrsnake1

Hi guys,

Appreciate all that I have learned here so far! I bought a 2007 Caldera Geneva used a couple weeks ago. It uses one 100 sq ft filter. The filter looks a bit grody and I am guessing it's original and needs to be replaced. My question is do I need to shell out $89 for a replacement from Caldera, or are the $50 Pleatco/Unicel filters just as good? If not what is the difference? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Mason

Watkins/Caldera does not make filters. However, there are many more filter manufacturers besides Pleatco and Unicel.

But the point I was making was that generally none of the hot tub manufacturers make the filters for their tubs, but I believe Pleatco and Unicel are probably the biggest.

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I realize that Caldera probably doesn't make the filter, but nonetheless they sell a Caldera branded filter. Example is here:

http://www.spapartsdepot.com/product/73722/73722---Caldera-Spa-100-sq-ft-Filter--New-for-2005---74817.html

As you can see, it is rather expensive. I can find the Unicel and Pleatco branded equivalents for around $50. My question is am I sacrificing anything by opting for the lesser expensive alternative?

Thanks in advance,

Mason

What I meant was if he (OP) checks the micron count of his original filter and makes sure his replacement from either Unicel or Pleatco has the same micron size then it should be grand. As for my knowledge on such matters, it's only limited to well water where we have a series of filters to filter the dirt out of the water, in the end it's the micron size that makes it clear and I guess the same applies to a hot tub.

If I'm not then sorry but I would love you to explain it.

Mason,

I just spent this past weekend looking for filters for my Saratoga spa. It had pleatco filters, so I started shopping around. From Pleatco's website, they game me names of local vendors. Of course nobody had them in stock, but said they could order them for me. I think its a matter of preference between Pleatco and Filbur, of the people I spoke with they preferred one or the other. Nothing horrible with either, just a matter of preference much like Chevy vs. Ford, Pepsi vs. Coke, etc.

The key is getting the right size and most of the websites have a conversion where you type in your info and you get product numbers for all of the companies. I even found that price varied between all of our local vendors who said they could order them, as much as $20 difference for the pleatco brand.

I finally decided to buy online from HotTubworks.com I had purchased something else from them before and their filter look up guide gave me everything that I needed to know. They shipped today so I can give you more info in a few days.