Hayward Filter Strap Brass Nut Broke

aGrandma

I have a hayward filter for my inground pool. After cleaning my filters I put the top cover on the filters, put the strap around it, and started to tighten the long brass nut onto the long screw that holds the strap in place, and threads began coming off the nut. The nut will not tighten. There is nothing else wrong with the screw or the strap, just the nut itself. I called my pool supply store and they told me that Hayward no longer makes that type of strap any longer and will not allow them to sell that brass nut either. They told me I have to buy a whole new strap for $225. Can't I just go to a hardware store and buy a new nut? Or do I need to go to a specialty store? Apparently this is a common problem because the person at my pool supply store seemed to know exactly what I was talking about. Could I get this part from a plumbing-type store? Help!! Thanks! I just looked up the part on Amazon.com and it's called "Hayward Pro-Grid Pool Filter Clamp Assembly Brass Sleeve Nut Only" - but it's not being sold now.

I took the strap, screw, spring assembly and nut to a place where they mainly sell "fasteners". They found a good nut that worked for me and didn't charge me any money. When I got it home I realized it can't be used with the spring. I got on the Internet and after some searching I found the brass nut sold individually (without the spring and washers) because the nut is all I need. I ordered it - cost $9. My other choice (If I were unable to buy the nut) was to take the brass nut and screw and have a machine shop make me a new nut. That might cost $10 to have one made. It's better than spending $225 for a new strap.

Beelzy,

If the assembly included the spring assy from the factory, it should be used. People get hurt when they start tampering with the design of pressure vessels. If the part weren't needed, the mfg wouldn't spend the money to include it. I understand that it's costly sometimes to repair/replace something correctly, but someone's life isn't worth 150 bucks. IMHO, we have an obligation to err on the side of safety in cases like this. You could probably get by with only 3 lugnuts on your wife's car, but I'll bet you keep all 5 very tight.

I am the original poster. When I got the nut from the "fastener" people, it worked as a temporary fix only. Without the spring on the assembly the filter had a slow leak that would not stop completely. I found a brass replacement nut on the Internet for $9 and it works perfectly. It is the same threads on the inside, but the nut is larger than the original, which is fine, except my original plastic tool doesn't work with it. I'm just very relieved to have found this brass "sleeve" nut that works and do not have to buy a whole new strap to go around the filter!

• 4 months later...

I am the original poster. When I got the nut from the "fastener" people, it worked as a temporary fix only. Without the spring on the assembly the filter had a slow leak that would not stop completely. I found a brass replacement nut on the Internet for $9 and it works perfectly. It is the same threads on the inside, but the nut is larger than the original, which is fine, except my original plastic tool doesn't work with it. I'm just very relieved to have found this brass "sleeve" nut that works and do not have to buy a whole new strap to go around the filter!

aGrandma - I am dealing with an identical problem. Would you mind sharing where on the internet you found the $9 replacement sleeve nut? Thanks!

I don't have the specific name of the place I bought my brass nut from, but I just did a search on the Internet for the model number of the nut and I get some very reasonable prices for one. The model number is HAYDEX2400JN so if you copy and paste that into a google.com search, you will probably find some very cheap. For instance I see one at hydropool.com http://www.hydropool.com/cgi-bin/hydro/schematic/Hayward/Super-StarClear.html for $7.11 under "key #6". There are other places that have it though. By the way, I got mine months ago and it's holding up fine! I am so glad I got mine so cheaply and didn't have to buy expensive parts.

I agree that the spring is optional! Infact, Haywards new design does not have a spring! Anyhow, I also believe that erring on the side of safety is always a good policy! I'm not certain why Hayward did away with the old design, but none the less, to avoid stripping the threads... Use a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer around the perimeter of the clamp when tightening your strap. A torque wrench is a good idea too, but let's be honest, firm is good enough, so long as the strap is seated properly.

• 1 month later...

Google DEX2420J1KIT for the spring and brass barrel nut combo. Some places list the kit as obsolete and others list high prices and a few have found cheap alternatives. Here are a couple examples

http://www.zipsale.com/For-Sale/Sporting-Goods/Swimming/Pool-Parts/hayward-dex2420j1kit-clamp-spring-assem-repl-kit-77632.cfm

Amazon has the brass barrel nut. That is really all that is needed.

http://www.amazon.com/Val-Pak-Pro-Grid-Filter-V60-110-DEX2420J1KIT/dp/B004HMA69C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305421397&sr=8-1

I took the suggestion of just putting a normal nut on without the springs and it worked fine. I did use the two big stainless washers that went with the spring and just threaded a stainless nut on. Simple fix and it worked fine.

I would not leave out the spring. There is an important use for that spring. It allows the tank to give a little and not take the abuse of hammer when the pump comes on every day. Now granted, every system is different, and not all systems will need the advantages of the spring. However, It wouldn't be right to suggest to someone to leave a safety device off without getting a chance to assess the equipment in person first.

I installed the brass sleeve nut from Amazon. It is better quality than the original and fit perfectly. Leaving the spring off was a good temporary option for me while waiting the 3 days for the sleeve nut to arrive. I am sure Pool Clown has a good point above.

http://www.amazon.com/Val-Pak-Pro-Grid-Filter-V60-110-DEX2420J1KIT/dp/B004HMA69C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305421397&sr=8-1