Why All The Foam ?

bigtime1204

I am new to tubing (3) months now. I am having a foaming issue that I can't seem to solve. I have a Bromine sanatizing system and all the #s look good on my testing through titration. What have I tried you might ask. De- Foaming agent added to the water (Did not work and did not want to add too much more for fear or doing the reverse thing and make more foam). I tried by bring up the calcium hardness an no good. Tried emzymes added to the water to break up the maybe oils or soap from clothing. Next I was going to try the scum ball. I shock weekly with Bleach and was wondering if the bleach could cause foaming. By the way the foam is clean and depleates fast when pumps and blower are off. Water is also clear at that time. Any help would be appricated, before I dump the water and start over again.

Thanks

OK I did say "New" TDS I guess is Total Dissolved Solids? 3 months with new spa, ozonator, bromine and "Change the Water? Why? I've heard 6 months to a year if kept right. Basically I'm the only one using it. I will have the TDS level checked. The water is clear at idle (No Pumps).

Thanks

Bromine spas need a water change every 3-4 months PARTICULARLY if you have an ozonator since they have a tendency to oxidize the bromide bank in your water into nonrenewable bromates instead of hypobromous acid, your active bromine sanitizer. Realize that with the higher bather to water ratio in a spa even one bather is about the same as having a pool party of 20 people in an average 12k gallon pool! The only way to get rid of the buildup of organics and oxidation byproducts such as bromates is by a drain and refill. If you are foaming I suspect that the orgainics in your water have finally gotten too high.

As far as "6 months to a year" I will bet you heard that from a dealer trying to close a sale and NOT from a hot tub owner or service tech!

OK I did say "New" TDS I guess is Total Dissolved Solids? 3 months with new spa, ozonator, bromine and "Change the Water? Why? I've heard 6 months to a year if kept right. Basically I'm the only one using it. I will have the TDS level checked. The water is clear at idle (No Pumps).

Thanks

Acid water is clear too. Clear water does not mean its good water. Water bear is right (usually is :) ) whoever told you 6 months to a year is wrong, i bet if you read your bromine tablet bottle is says anywhere from 30 days to 90 days. Salt systems, such as Genesis or the like, that create bromine can get a year IF you are very careful about what is added to the water.

You've probably already worked it out by now, but it's important to keep soaps and oils down to a minimum if you want to keep your water quality good for the full 3 months, and just as importantly avoid foaming. If it's realistic get everyone to shower (or at least rinse off) before getting in the tub, also just hang out swimwear to dry instead of using the washer - they will stay clean thanks to water sanitization. Better still don't wear swimwear at all if possible!

I certainly learned the hard way last year as a new tub owner, and had to change the water after only a few weeks due to foaming. Anti-foam works for an hour or two, but is basically useless after that, and fliters can't deal with soap. The only real answer is a water change.

It's the left over soap in your bathing suits from detergent washing. I had the same problem.

Sparky

No it was the extra crap I was adding thinking I was helping. I was new and nieve. I'm learning and she running fine with bubbles coming from the blower like it should. Thanks to all on here who helped me out.