Electrical Usage

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much do you pay per KWH? Our rates are high, about $.30 US.

My rates here in Northern Minnesota start at .05 per KWH for the minumum of 50 KWH and then jump to .07 per KWH for the balance. I am on a duel fuel rate, which means if you have an alternate heat source they can give you this rate with the possibility that they will turn off your heat during a high power usage time (it has never happened) And that rate is 5-6 respectivly for the first 100 and balance. My bill is 145 bucks a month year round, for also an all electric house. I don't even have a gas line run to my house.

Ours our .05780 for the first 175 and then .05654 after that.

Holy crap.. at .30 i would be paying over $1,500 per month!!!!!

We have been in this house for about two years, and 275 is the highest bill we have had. We also set records for how cold it was outside...so..it makes sense. I am sure the -35c (-31F) with -50c (-58F) wind chill requires alot of power to keep the tub at 104.

Where do you live jmendoza17?

Southern California. The land of sunny days, inflated real estate and high cost of living. The rate structure here is such that the more you use, the more you pay. our average monthly bill is close to $300 and as soon as we lit up the PEII, the bill zoomed to $500.

Nevertheless, some of this is just has to be the inefficiency of the spa.

Southern California. The land of sunny days, inflated real estate and high cost of living. The rate structure here is such that the more you use, the more you pay. our average monthly bill is close to $300 and as soon as we lit up the PEII, the bill zoomed to $500.

Nevertheless, some of this is just has to be the inefficiency of the spa.

I am in Southern CA as well, and my rate is $.30. I am 200%+ over my baseline. Jmendoza, I installed the solar kit and will give you the verdict in a few days. Do you live near Palos Verdes?

I am in Southern CA as well, and my rate is $.30. I am 200%+ over my baseline. Jmendoza, I installed the solar kit and will give you the verdict in a few days. Do you live near Palos Verdes?

I am close to SBay and I saw the website you posted. It looks good, only I'd have to run hoses a long way from spa to roof, so I have to determine how much of this is due to an low-efficiency unit. I actually may consider solar energy to drive my pool and spa. Lots to think about as I monitor KWH over the next month or two.

Our accurate method is pretty straight forward. We have a HotSpring Prodigy 110V and a Tiger River Caspian 220v running outside our store in CT. Both are hooked to actual electric meters, like on your house.

We were curious about current power consumption with a few increases in the cost of electricity in the NorthEast. It's been pretty miserable around here the last few weeks. I dip in both spas every morning before dispatching crews. For the past month, the Caspian cost $38.24, the Prodigy $39.92. My sales manager's been monitoring the kwh and doing the figuring, just to double check him, I was keeping track myself. Wouldn't want any deception being spread under my tent.

Our accurate method is pretty straight forward. We have a HotSpring Prodigy 110V and a Tiger River Caspian 220v running outside our store in CT. Both are hooked to actual electric meters, like on your house.

We were curious about current power consumption with a few increases in the cost of electricity in the NorthEast. It's been pretty miserable around here the last few weeks. I dip in both spas every morning before dispatching crews. For the past month, the Caspian cost $38.24, the Prodigy $39.92. My sales manager's been monitoring the kwh and doing the figuring, just to double check him, I was keeping track myself. Wouldn't want any deception being spread under my tent.

Poolboy, what are your electricity rates on in CT? It must be much less what the California residents are paying. What do you think the Caspian and Prodigy would cost at $.30 per kwh?

• 2 weeks later...

IThe same with our spas. I love it that our customers call me and tell me how much they like their Haven. You can't possible understand that, because you have never created anything that thousands of people use or listen to.

It requires a messia complex that most of us are not capable of.

I have created something that thousands and thousands of people respect and trust........me

• 3 months later...

I am a new member to these boards, but I want to add my input. My wife and I bought the MasterSpa LSX1050STS about 18 months ago. We have a large family so it seemed to fit the bill. We also purchased the thickest cover and hydraulic lift available, and housed our spa in a gazebo. My power bills went up $500-800 per MONTH since using the spa. This is year round! I have had 3 different electrical contractors out to the house to troubleshoot the bill, and it always comes back at the spa. I have turned off the spa for months at a time, and sure enough the bill drops by $500-$800! We live in northern California, and the climate is fairly mild. For what it's worth, we called the company that sold us the spa, and they sent someone out who said everything was running just fine.

Hello....we're talking an increased electric bill of $500!!!! How can that be correct?

Please let me know what to do next. we really like the spa itself, but it has been turned off for the last 3 months because of these exorbitant costs!

I am a new member to these boards, but I want to add my input. My wife and I bought the MasterSpa LSX1050STS about 18 months ago. We have a large family so it seemed to fit the bill. We also purchased the thickest cover and hydraulic lift available, and housed our spa in a gazebo. My power bills went up $500-800 per MONTH since using the spa. This is year round! I have had 3 different electrical contractors out to the house to troubleshoot the bill, and it always comes back at the spa. I have turned off the spa for months at a time, and sure enough the bill drops by $500-$800! We live in northern California, and the climate is fairly mild. For what it's worth, we called the company that sold us the spa, and they sent someone out who said everything was running just fine.

Hello....we're talking an increased electric bill of $500!!!! How can that be correct?

Please let me know what to do next. we really like the spa itself, but it has been turned off for the last 3 months because of these exorbitant costs!

The only way to know for sure is to put an electric meter on the spa. See if your power company will set you up with one. If not see if the dealer will set one up on the spa for you. That takes care of the mystery once and for all. By the way that brand is noted for extremely high electric consumption and I have read many posts about it, but this is the first $500 one. It is the winner of the extreme hot tub bill.

IThe same with our spas. I love it that our customers call me and tell me how much they like their Haven. You can't possible understand that, because you have never created anything that thousands of people use or listen to.

It requires a messia complex that most of us are not capable of.

I have created something that thousands and thousands of people respect and trust........me

Well then. You better learn more about hot tubs so you don't wind up losing their trust.

Well then. You better learn more about hot tubs so you don't wind up losing their trust.

Hot tubs are so simple no more learning is required, because I will never rely on it as my primary source of income, like you. I'm to busy learning about power generation and oil refining.

Even at a power rate of $0.30 per kwh, that's way too much power being used so there is something wrong. If that is heat loss, there has to be a major heat leak somewhere. Does your cover fit properly on the tub with no gaps around the edges? Is there a water leak? Do you have to add water to the tub every day? If this is not a heat loss, then your jet pumps might be running too much. A 3hp jet pump will use 2 kw per hour. Running a jet pump 24/7 for a month would use 1440 kwh which is the kind of power consumption you are probably seeing. The jet pumps are only supposed to run when the tub is being used. Is there a possibility that they are turning on when the tub is covered and you don't know it? If the jet pumps were running that much, though, the water in the tub would be getting too hot so you should see that. Finally, is there a possibility of an electrical ground fault? This would be a 'leak' of power to ground through bad insulation on a buried conductor or something like that. You should have a 'ground fault interruptter (GFI)' installed that would not allow that to occiur but if it is not installed or not working, then that might be the problem. Whaterver it is, this is not normal for ANY newer tub to use that much power unless the cover is left off so keep at it and you will get the problem resolved and enjoy the tub again.