Dedicated 20 Amp 110V Line To Tub

HOT HEAD

I have a nordic crown II that I bought used it was prevoiusly used inside and ran on a 110v 20 amp line. I plan to use it outside . my plan is to run a dedicated 20 amp line. I plan to start from a regular non gfci breaker in the box, to a 20 amp gfci outlet outside. the tub is going to have a 20 amp gfci levitron plug on the end of the tub cord and also a weather resistant cover on the outlet. Is this the best way to go? will I have a problem pluging a gfci plug into a gfci outlet? should I use a gfci breaker and regular outlet? Please help I have done many searches and cannot find a answer???

Water and electricity do not mix. Therefore, it's extremely important to make sure your electrical connections are installed properly and comply with local electrical codes. If you're not familiar with the local electrical codes, I would strongly recommend that you hire a professional licensed electrician. If you insist on doing it yourself, please review your local current electrical codes to see whether your planned protocol meets the local minimum code requirements for an exterior hot tub system. Particularly review the local codes for grounding your hot tub. I would also recommend that you check the owner's manual to see the manufacturer's recommended basic electrical hook-up requirements. If you don't have a manual, I suspect you should be able to download one via the internet. Given the health and safety issues involved whenever electricity and water are in proximity to each other (electrocution), I again strongly recommend you hire an electrician. The cost is small compared to the risk involved. As someone has already suggested, if you have to ask, you're probably not qualified to do the installation...at least not without additional education, training, and supervision.

gman

Hothead, It seems you've heard from the nervous nellies. Get an electrician they say. "If you need to ask..."

That may be so. It may also be that you merely need to ask* an electrician, or consult the NEC Handbook.

I did hire an electrician to wire our 240 volt 50 amp system, with a 50 ft conduit run, timer, switches, and 110 auxillary outlet. (Cost a bundle)

But your situation MAY be one you can handle if you learn what the code requires.

My own idea is that you should hardwire the tub with a GFCI switchbox at the Code prescribed distance from the tub. (OR with a GFCI breaker at the main panel and switchbox near the tub)

The Code may also require a 110 outlet at this spot, for auxillary use. (They don't want you running an extension cord from the house to power your boom box or lights)

It may also be wise to have a ground rod at this spot. I don't know why you would want to be able to unplug your tub, unless you want to move it.

Whether you do it or have an electrician do it, your main concern should be that you protect your family and guests.

I must add that I recently saw a small hot tub standing on end behind a rental condo in the mountains. Just move it where you want it, fill it up, plug it in to an extension cord.

May not be too smart.

*"Ask an electrician": One way to ask an electrician is to ask for an estimate/bid. You may know an electrician who may be quite happy to tell you what you need an at what cost he/she will supply it.

Good service professionals know that even if you do not hire them today, you may call them back tomorrow. You may also be able to negotiate price. I cut and patched a sidewalk for conduit to go under, cutting a bill $300.

Hothead, It seems you've heard from the nervous nellies. Get an electrician they say. "If you need to ask..."

... Good service professionals know that even if you do not hire them today, you may call them back tomorrow. You may also be able to negotiate price. I cut and patched a sidewalk for conduit to go under, cutting a bill $300.

True, but wouldn't it be easier to just call a professional first? I'm not an electrician, but I am a professional. I too explain to people how to do the things I do, because I know I will get the business when they screw it up. Normally it costs less if they don't take a crack at it 1st.

Case in point... you "saved" $300 cutting & patching... most professionals would have just gone underneath the sidewalk without cutting it... taking maybe 1/2 an hour. Even I have done that. Did you really "save" or did you just do it yourself so it is done, just not as well as an electrician would have done it?

At the end of the day, do what you want. Myself, I have a buddy who is an electrician, so it normally costs me some amount of beer. Just don't find out the hard way why we have professionals.

I am a auto mechanic, Several of our customers are electritians. I have asked them and got different replys from all 3. seems that most know about the 220v hookup but never done a 110 v. That is why I am asking here. I have checked the manuel and dosen't really give much info except for Hire a electritian. I guess even if I hire someone I want to know they are doing it right mainly because there seems to be confusion on the 110v hookup. Thanks to everyone who gave a REAL responce.

Besides referring to the manual, have you tried contacting the manufacturer and asking them for assistance? I realize they will probably advise you to consult with a local professional electrician that is familiar with your local electrical codes, but beyond that, they still may be able to recommend to you an appropriate electrical connection protocol that meets their standards for safety. Whether any connection recommendation they provide complies with your local standard is a different matter.

gman

• 3 weeks later...

... Good service professionals know that even if you do not hire them today, you may call them back tomorrow. You may also be able to negotiate price. I cut and patched a sidewalk for conduit to go under, cutting a bill $300.

True, but wouldn't it be easier to just call a professional first? I'm not an electrician, but I am a professional. I too explain to people how to do the things I do, because I know I will get the business when they screw it up. Normally it costs less if they don't take a crack at it 1st.

Case in point... you "saved" $300 cutting & patching... most professionals would have just gone underneath the sidewalk without cutting it... taking maybe 1/2 an hour. Even I have done that. Did you really "save" or did you just do it yourself so it is done, just not as well as an electrician would have done it?

At the end of the day, do what you want. Myself, I have a buddy who is an electrician, so it normally costs me some amount of beer. Just don't find out the hard way why we have professionals.

Jake dog, Why are you barking at me?

1) I say I DID have an electrician do MY job. (220 volt 50 amp)

2) I say IF you are going to DIY, do it to Code.

3) I say get an electrician's bid/advice. They can tell you how they would do it, and you may be able to negotiate a price, as I did.*

I feel you are just blowing the "Pay Us" whistle. Suggesting DIYs are likely to screw it up. They may do that but they don't have to.

Even you seem to be breaking your own 'Leave it to the Pros' rule: You have an electrician friend who does WHAT for a few beers? Give advice, and then you do the job?

My electrician friends don't buy and install circuit breakers, 80 feet of conduit, wire, ground rod, switch box, and plastic lead for a few beers.

ALSO, you tell/suggest to others I didn't really save $300 by cutting and patching for conduit under a sidewalk. A "professional," you say, could have gone under the sidewalk in 30 minutes?

Excuse Me. Three electricians bid on this job. Every one of them added cost for cutting and patching the sidewalk. See the pic below to see why. The sidewalk is between a brick wall and a 12" wysteria trunk. I'm sure these professionals would have liked to know how they could make that connection in 30 minutes.

And you say I didn't make that patch as well as an electrician could have done it? Since when do we send our concrete work to electricians? Look at the pic, eat your hat, and stop talking out your ear, please.

BTW: You didn't tell us what sort of "professional" you are.

Moral: "Professionals" tell you what they know. That's why we shop. True professionals don't pretend to know what they don't, especially outside their specialty, and they don't use their professional standing to gloss mere opinion.

IMG_1978.jpg

• 13 years later...

I have to agree with "arnspa", as hiring a professional is not what it once was. As a "professional" in the trades for 37 years I have seen first hand the decline of so called "professionals". Asking questions on sites as this is smart if you're inclined to do it yourself or hire out. You just need to sift through the smoke and consider the useful advise. That's how I came across this site🙂.

Back in 2000, I installed a 4000 gallon above-ground pool in my yard.

I'm not an electrician.  I added a new 120 volt, 20-amp breaker to the breaker box, ran wires through conduit back to near the pool, and installed a GCFI breaker receptacle with a weatherproof cover.  So the pool's pump simply plugs in to that.  I also used a copper grounding rod to provide grounding to that GFCI box.  Still working fine...