Chlorine Level Is Shows Almost Non Existent But Water Is Clear

I have an Intex 16' X 48" pool that I set up about 1 month ago. I have been using the Intex salt water system with it from the beginning. The water is crystal clear and seems clean but when I checked the chlorine levels it is almost non existent. Barely changes the test strip color. I've tried a couple of different testing kits. But the other levels seem to be all right. I tested the salt level and it is right at 3000 ppm. I have been running the system at least 5 hours a day and usually run it twice a day for a total of 10 hours.

My question is if the chlorine is that low wouldn't my water begin to smell and change color? It has been very hot for the last 3 weeks (in the mid 90's) and i have never covered the pool. I called Intex twice and one person told me that I have a defective unit and then the next person said that I must have defective test strips and if the water is clear and clean that the unit is working. What do you think?

I have an Intex 16' X 48" pool that I set up about 1 month ago. I have been using the Intex salt water system with it from the beginning. The water is crystal clear and seems clean but when I checked the chlorine levels it is almost non existent. Barely changes the test strip color. I've tried a couple of different testing kits. But the other levels seem to be all right. I tested the salt level and it is right at 3000 ppm. I have been running the system at least 5 hours a day and usually run it twice a day for a total of 10 hours.

My question is if the chlorine is that low wouldn't my water begin to smell and change color? It has been very hot for the last 3 weeks (in the mid 90's) and i have never covered the pool. I called Intex twice and one person told me that I have a defective unit and then the next person said that I must have defective test strips and if the water is clear and clean that the unit is working. What do you think?

Do you have any CYA (stabilizer) in your water? If so, what is the reading? In fact, posting a full set of test results would be helpful (FC, TC, CC, pH, TA, CH, and CYA).

Thanks for the quick response. When I tested for CYA this morning it appears that no, I do not have any CYA. Total alkalinity was 110 ppm, ph is 7.2 and hardness test came out to 140. As far as the other test, I'm totally clueless. Iv'e had a spa for over ten years and never had any problems but I'm new to all this pool stuff,especially with the salt water system. Thanks for any help!

• 1 month later...

I have an Intex Salt Water system. I have had it for two years. I have never added chlorine. I thought that all the chlorine that was needed was produced during the overnight filter session when the chlorine generator ran. I also, have crystal clear water and no problems. Am I wrong in assuming that I don't need chlorine with a Salt water system?

I have an Intex Salt Water system. I have had it for two years. I have never added chlorine. I thought that all the chlorine that was needed was produced during the overnight filter session when the chlorine generator ran. I also, have crystal clear water and no problems. Am I wrong in assuming that I don't need chlorine with a Salt water system?

If the unit is operating properly then you are producing chlorine while the unit is running and do not need to add additional. However, if you have no stabilizer (cyanuric acid) added to the water then it is very possible for all your chlorine to be lost in about of sunlight exposure leaving you with unsanitized water, possible nascent algae growth, and water conditions that would now need additional chlorine addition to allow the SWCG (salt water chlorine generator) the ability to 'catch up'. THIS is why it is very important to regularly test your pool for ALL water parameters. Even with a SWCG you should be testing free chlorine, total chlorine and pH daily and all your other parameters (total alkalinity, calcium hardness, and cyanuric acid) weekly! I somehow get the feeling that you are not testing your water at all. ALL THE SWCG does is add the chlorine to your water automatically. It does not do anything else. You still need to test and balance your water! If you have not added any CYA (cyanuraci acid, stabilizer) you still need to. You still need to check and adjust pH and total alkalinity. You still need to monitor your calcium hardness (low calcium hardness is not a problem with a vinyl pool BUT high calcium hardness CAN interfere with chlorine generation because it causes scaling on your salt cell which can stop chlorine generation, shorten cell life, or even destroy the cell!)