Bleach Is Bad For Filters!

cpuKEN

I was looking for some replacement filters and filter cleaners online when I ran across the following at a site that sells spa chemicals

and maint. items.

"Bleach is bad for filters

Although household bleach may seem to do an adequate job of cleaning, it degrades and weakens the fibers in the filter media, greatly decreasing spa filter life expectancy"

I've been using the Dichlor/bleach Method for the past 4 months...

Any comments??

Ken

Just speculation on my part Ken but perhaps they are referring to using bleach to clean the filter. I don't think that there would be a difference between the chlorine in blaech vs dichlor with regard to the effect on a filter but the chemistry gurus can give a more informed opinion on this.

I've been using the Dichlor/bleach method for the last two years, I haven't notice any degradation of my filters, and I add the bleach right into the filter suction. Maybe they're just trying to frighten people into using more expensive chemicals, that they sell?!

Dave

Interesting... I have to switch by filters weekly because I use Peroxide.

I used to soak the filter in a 2:1 mixture of peroxide:water, but it was too expensive so I started just soaking it in bleach.

The filters have gone from blue to white, but they seem fine.

I rotate 3. One in the tub, one soaking for a week, one drying for a week.

I'd be curious to know the right amout of bleach to water ratio to be using to kill everything but not harm the filter. I'm just winging it right now. I don't even measure. :mellow:

I was looking for some replacement filters and filter cleaners online when I ran across the following at a site that sells spa chemicals

and maint. items.

"Bleach is bad for filters

Although household bleach may seem to do an adequate job of cleaning, it degrades and weakens the fibers in the filter media, greatly decreasing spa filter life expectancy"

I've been using the Dichlor/bleach Method for the past 4 months...

Any comments??

Ken

hmm.. I guess that would depend on the quantity of bleach. Like if you were to soak it in pure bleach for a longer duration. I just rinse mine in a bucket with say 300-500 ml of bleach/water while I empty and refill the tub. On weekly cleanses I just zap it with the hose water.

Filters cost $30-50 and last on average a year. What is the cost impact of this shortened lifespan? Can't be much.

Now let me ask the question. What did this site want you to use instead of bleach to clean your filter? Did they have their own product per chance?

Greg

I've been using the Dichlor/bleach method for the last two years, I haven't notice any degradation of my filters, and I add the bleach right into the filter suction. Maybe they're just trying to frighten people into using more expensive chemicals, that they sell?!

Dave

Agree with Dave. I've been using Dichlor/bleach for nearly 12 months - filters are still like new.